I think stealershhip put in wrong oil....

Dean

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI(Sold)
They put in 5W30, Castrol Syntex Blend Synthetic.:confused:

Before servicing I asked them what oil they use for diesels and they mentioned the above. "We use this oil in both our gas and diesel vehicles.":confused:

I looked at my service record afterwards and it only says Castol Syntex 5W30. I don't see 505.01(whatever's recommended here:confused:) anywhere.

I thought it was supposed to be 5W40?

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Dean,

Noted you are in Vancouver. Want to make a trip to Seattle to get the right stuff? LOL! I always have 6 5-liter bottles of the Pentosin HPII 5w40 on hand for the two Passats I have. :)

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Check your owner's manual and maker sure what you have in the car meets or exceeds what you have in there.

If the dealer put oil in there that does not meet the current specifications for your car, I would want to get the proper oil in there as soon as possible and I would want to get evidence that the dealer put the wrong oil in there. Get and keep evidence of the dealer's failure. You may need it is there a problem in the future.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
They put wrong oil in your car. Get it out ASAP ASAP ASAP! Out to the last drop. Fill with proper oil (preferably 5w-40). Run for 1000 miles. Drain and refill again with proper oil, resume normal change intervals.

There is oil left in oil passages, lifters, other parts of engine so you can't get all oil out during a drain, that's why I would do a shorter run of 1000 miles.

Dean

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI(Sold)

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
It is a 505.01 oil, but it is a 5w30, a grade that many gurus have noted to be detrimental to camshafts in PD cars, despite being 505.01 VW claims it meets their 505.01 standard.

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2005 silver Passat Sedan & 2005 Wagon Stone Henge Gray
during the warranty period on my 2 passats I always had the dealer do my oil and stamp my book ONLY for possible warranty issues down the line - some say you can do your own oil changes - keep the records and warranty would still be good. Dunno how true and didn't want to get into a fight with VWNA. Easier to say your own dealer did it - see the stamp in my book!.... but I never trusted my dealer and when I drove hope I drained it out and put in the Pentosine HP2 505.01 ( no 5w-30 for my cam) was a pain during the 40K warranty period but dealers sell so few diesels I did not see a drum of 505.01 at my Dealers Oil booth. So I did not want to assume the illegal allien doing the oil changes there with a line of cars behind my was actually going to read on his screen that my car needed 505.01 which would then assume he was going to run over to the parts department and grabe bottles of that crappy Castrol which says it meets our spec. Too much assuming for me. They always looked rushed and it appeared that they were pumping all the cars from the same oil drum at their oil change out booth. I see non of these dealers carring the better and heavier oil weigh specs. They have to go by whatever VWNA gives them. They all seem to default to the thinner Castrol in the U.S. but not in Germany and thats if he actually runs across the building to Parts to grab the bottles in the first place. Now that I'm past warranty - I'm glad I'm no longer doing the double time with the at home oil change - nor did I want to risk VWNA demands to prove I personally installed the right oil at home. Who knows what their level of proof is - in the event I really needed a warranty repair on an expensive engine. On my 2 Passats and my brothers 3 cars total the dealer consistently over filled all the cars by 1 liter. I balled them out every time- showing the guy the overfilled dip stick each time. It did not good. I beleive VWNA entered the wrong fill amount on they dealer software and that wrong entry remined. Crying about it during 12 under warranty oil fills (12 total) never made a dent with the service manager. They just defaulted to what was on their computer. It was easier to smile - say stamp my book please - drive home and change it out myself versus fighting them. A buddy of mine had a Tourage diesel. They always underfilled it and this was at a different dealership.
Easy enough to do yourself.

Blair

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Dean, I know at clarkdale they put in the right oil, but since they don't update their parts system ever the part number and the description on the invoice is wrong. Needless to say I ranted about that dunno if they changed as I never went back after my BSM replacement.

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
Quick researching:

It says exactly on my records "530S SLX5W30"

And I saw this exact bottle on display at the stealership.

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/castrol-motor-oil-50501-genuine_208168.html

Whether it's 505.01 or not I don't know since I only saw the front of the bottle behind the glass shelf.:confused:

So is this safe or no?:eek:
If it was Castrol SLX then it's rated 505.01. Many folks have stopped using SLX 5W-30 & are using a 5w-40 505.01 oil. Such as Pentosin HPII.
Syntec is not 505.01 spec oil.

Dean

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI(Sold)
Dean, I know at clarkdale they put in the right oil, but since they don't update their parts system ever the part number and the description on the invoice is wrong. Needless to say I ranted about that dunno if they changed as I never went back after my BSM replacement.
Where do you change your oil?

Or can someone point me to a place in Vancouver,BC that actually does it right?:eek: