Chicago 2009 TDI Owners: Non-Biodiesel Support Group

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
I think they are all non bio diesel stations at Meijers. I normally fill out at the one in Bloomingdale.

MrTechno

TDI
2009 VW TDI
Careful! The BP in Wilmette at Skokie and Lake Ave. is now an 11% mix. The manager says "sorry". Changed near the end of Dec. Thanks to the forum I found Sanders and Willow, a BP with #2. This is getting very frustrating. Also, are the IL Tollway Oasis stations still #2?

Tom in chicago

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
Thanks for the update. Another option is the BP at Tower and Green Bay. However I have not confirmed that they are still selling 5%.

I am getting close to just using whatever diesel is convenient and taking my chances.

spamlet

TDI
2010 Salsa Red Jetta
Another downstate option. It has a sign out front offering "real diesel". Funny that the truck stops at Market are charging the higher (i.e. non-sales tax rebated) prices but still have the bio stickers on them. Pocketing the sales tax must be a nice boost to profits.

Citgo
1901 Market Street
Bloomington IL

ppcjbj

TDI
2010 Sportwagen sold
Murphy USA in the Wal Mart parking lot, Mattoon, Il, no stickers showing 5-20% Bio, talked to employees, no clue of what % bio.

chfscott

TDI
2011 Sportwagen,DSG
I found this for Mobil diesel, it says that use "up to 5% bio". Google search "mobil diesel cetane" , about the 4th or 5th entry down shows an info sheet for mobil diesel. I tried the link but it came back as page not available? It looks like this was printed in October 2010 so it does not seem too old. Should I assume all Mobil stations use this type of diesel ?

Last edited:

b4black

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta blue
All diesel may contain up to 5% biodiesel without additional labeling. "Up to 5%" can be 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5%. In general, most (nearly all) will not have any. Here in Illinois, you find either 0% or 11%. 11% requires labeling.

lowrider12

TDI
2003 Golf ALH
FWIW, I had no issues with B20 in my MK3 this past winter. Started right up on the coldest day of the year. All winter I added Amsoil cetane boost & FPPF "bio diesel winter treatment".

roblatham

TDI
2010 VW Jetta SportWagen
Willowbrook Mobile now "up to 20% Biodiesel"

Willowbrook Mobile (the Mobile station on Kingrey, just north of i-55 on Illinois-83) has recently switched from petrodiesel to "up to 20% biodiesel". Must have happened some time between 19th of May and 8th of June.

Last edited:

roblatham

TDI
2010 VW Jetta SportWagen
BP at Wabash and Roosevelt 100% biodiesel

The South Loop BP station now sells B-100. I think that change happened earlier this year. they were selling "up to B-20" back in February, 2011, but as of June 3 were B-100.

b4black

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta blue
The South Loop BP station now sells B-100. I think that change happened earlier this year. they were selling "up to B-20" back in February, 2011, but as of June 3 were B-100.
I called to confirm. They weren't sure until they called someone else. They said it's B11.

scottschoen

TDI
2009 JSW; 2011 BMW X5-35d
Willowbrook Mobile (the Mobile station on Kingrey, just north of i-55 on Illinois-83) has recently switched from petrodiesel to "up to 20% biodiesel". Must have happened some time between 19th of May and 8th of June.
Same thing with the Mobile at 183rd and Harwood in Homewood. Another one bites the dust.

clem151

TDI
'09 Jetta
Lost another one in the past month...the Mobil at 41 and Half Day Road in Highland Park is now B20.

KonaJack

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Golf
Mobil at Lake-Cook and Rt. 14 is now 11%-20% Biodiesel blend (even though the owner/operator told me 2 weeks ago -"Never Biodiesel!")

vwthingguy

TDI
2010 Jetta w/DSG, 2005 Beetle (traded off)
Murphy USA in the Wal Mart parking lot, Mattoon, Il, no stickers showing 5-20% Bio, talked to employees, no clue of what % bio.
The station manager in Paris which gets the same delivery truck that serves Mattoon said it is 5%. B & C Auto in Oakland, Il 61943 has straight #2. Their truck is an FS delivery. Also, Hello neighbor. I grew up in Mattoon and worked there until a few years ago.

okdane

TDI
Jetta, 1998, White & Jetta 2009, White
I'm located in Central Lake County IL. One day I took the time to check out gas stations that sell Diesel fuel around me. All of them now have the 6%-20% Bio Diesel sticker on their pumps now. I really don't think you can buy anything less in the State of Illinois any more.
I'm concerned because I drive a 2009 Jetta TDI. My dealer knows about this because he has the same problem and can't find anyone with less that B20.

calif11

TDI
Beetle
Hi, thanks for compiling the fuel station list. I live in downtowon Chicago. Over the past month or so, the downtown BP stations on the list put on blue stickers 'Biodiesel 5% to 20%' on pumps which used to have no stickers at least up to June. Also checked out a few Shell and CITGO stations, same stickers. A few questions (sorry if repeat):

How is everyone's experience so far with using this '5% to 20%' blend? (it seems it's likely 11% to due state sales tax credit).

Anyone can suggest verified petrodiesel stations in 30 mile radius of Chicago?

Any new developments on VW reaction to this issue for their cars that can use <5% per manual?

Thanks!

MSU Spartans

TDI
2011 VW Golf TDI 2 door
My first post.

Okdane, I feel your pain.

Purchased a '11 Golf TDI because of a recent job change which adds 100 miles to my daily commute. Wanted something with good fuel economy, but had no clue finding the "right" fuel would be such a pain in the a__. There are some stations that sell pure D2, and the list on this thread is fairly comprehensive and accurate. I'm fortunate to have a couple Meijer's stations close by, and use their premium diesel ( they say it's pure D2 , 45+ cetane , blended with Schaeffers additive).

I was shocked to learn, AFTER the purchase, that Illinois fueling stations are dominated by bio blending which run higher than VW's <B5 warranty specifications. Did the VW dealer mention the fueling issue with you guys prior to, or after you signed the purchase agreement?; ... Not me.... I learned of this issue at this website, and after reading the owners manual. Thanks guys for all the info here. Well done!.

When I spoke to my VW dealer about Illinois bio fuels and the B11 blend they informed me that they, in fact, always top off their diesels at the nearby Speedway station which has a posted B6-20 blend. They also told me that VW corporate is well aware of Illinois higher blends, yet they continue to sell TDI's here..........For me, that was enough said.

With my background in litigation cases (through an insurance carrier) I can state, with a great deal of certainty, that if VW ever denied an engine warranty because there is B6-20 in your tank, VW would get SCREWED in a court of law. They simply cannot sell TDI's in Illinois, to an uninformed customer, and avoid the negative legal consequences of denied a warranty claim.

http://consumerprotection.uslegal.com/warranties/magnuson-moss-warranty-act/

All that being said...I still like a small amount of bio added for lubrication. Using my crude math skills I usually splash blend a few gallons of B6-20 with several gallons of D2 to come up with B2-5. From what I have read in other forums, bio blends at 2% are beneficial ( and won't make a stink with VW). So far, I have been averaging over 500+ miles a week on a single tank, in suburban rush hour traffic, and 40+mpg. Gotta love it.

Shell station on the sw corner of Route 59 and 119th street in Plainfield/Naperville informed me that their diesel is pure D2 (no bio). Maybe another one to add to the map?

Regards

TDI BRI

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4 dr
MSU,

I also live in the SW burbs and was wondering what other gas stations you have used and if you have seen any difference in certain brands meaning Meijer versus Shell.

Thanks

Tom in chicago

TDI
bio diesel in Chicago?

I have a 2009 VW Jetta Sportswagen and live in Rogers Park (far north side of the city). I have not found *any* city gas station that pumps pure diesel. I also have not found any bio-diesel that is appropriate anyhwere in Illinois.

Meiers is the only sure bet for pure petro diesel in the metro area. They "brag" about pure diesel and how it imporves mileage and lubrication. BP seemed to have some stations that served pure diesel, but they seem to be dispapearing.

I wish VW would just say Bio-diesel is fine (but petro-disel is better) and if you ahve any issues they will cover it.

I love my TDI and love the mileage and will put in pure diesel when I can, and just live with the risk when I can't. I am not going to travel 30 miles to fill up.

MSU Spartans

TDI
2011 VW Golf TDI 2 door
MSU,

I also live in the SW burbs and was wondering what other gas stations you have used and if you have seen any difference in certain brands meaning Meijer versus Shell.

Thanks

TDI BRI-

I really can't compare Meijer to Shell because I used Shell only once. If I see more non-bio pumps in our area, I'll certainly post it here. Who do you use?. You notice any differences?.

MSU Spartans

TDI
2011 VW Golf TDI 2 door
Tom in Chicago-

I totally agree. Think about the poor folks in Minnesota.... They have a B20 MANDATE which goes into effect in 3 years, B10 next year. You think VW will have raised the bar by then, or will they simply stop selling their TDI's in Minnesota?

http://green.autoblog.com/tag/minnesota+b20+mandate/

My Prediction: VW will raise the bar and allow <B20 within the next couple years, but will shrink its powertrain warranty to 3 years /36k. VW will also suggest more frequent oil changes.

Last edited:

Tom in chicago

TDI
MSU Spartans,

from the link you provided on Minnesota bio-diesel: " A standard for B20 fuels is expected to be ratified by an SAE committee within the next few months. Once that standard is in place most carmakers have already said they will test and certify their diesel engines for use with the new fuel."

Indeed, that may force the issue.

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
I'm located in Central Lake County IL. One day I took the time to check out gas stations that sell Diesel fuel around me. All of them now have the 6%-20% Bio Diesel sticker on their pumps now. I really don't think you can buy anything less in the State of Illinois any more.
I'm concerned because I drive a 2009 Jetta TDI. My dealer knows about this because he has the same problem and can't find anyone with less that B20.
Mobil on 176 has sticker up to B5, as of 2 months ago. Called manager - says its straight D2

BP at 22 and 21 has no stickers; Ernie's shell has no stickers; Mobil across from Ernie's on Milwaukee has no stickers; Tollway Oasis no stickers; Shell at Dundee and 83 (listed as not a shell product) no stickers; Citgo in Wadsworth has both (on 41); BP at Dundee and Sanders no stickers; Phillips on Rt 12 in Fox Lake area no stickers. There are some. IL has serious labeling laws, so I doubt these are just mislabeled. But possible.

TDI BRI

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4 dr
I have only run a couple tanks trough the car so far and I have used Shell on Finley and Ogden and recently just used Meijer(Bolingbrook). I have seen better MPG's with the Shell fuel so far from 45 to 47 on the hwy as to 40 to 43 hwy on the Meijer fuel. I just want to do what is best for the vehicle and provided me with the best MPG's. So far this vehicle is probably the most fun to drive vehicle I have owned, as well as best MPG.

Thanks for all the info

Geebs68

TDI
**SOLD**2011 VW JSW TDI, Black
I sent VW customer care an email indicating that many of the fueling stations in Illinois are changing to the 5%-20% bio blend and since our manual states that only <5% is acceptable, what would they advise. Here is their response.

"This is in response to your e-mail. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. I have reviewed this matter with my supervisor, and I am following up with you.

Volkswagen sells vehicles based on consumer demand. We are unable to ensure fuel stations will sell approved fuels due to federal credits and other business incentives. At this time, Volkswagen only recommends the use of B5 biodiesel fuel; however, our engineers are researching higher blends because of circumstances such as this. Please be assured we do rely on our authorized Volkswagen dealers for information regarding what fuels can be used in our vehicles based on what fuels are available in the local area. I recommend you speak with the Service Manager directly about other fuel alternatives that may be available to you."

It is annoying that she is saying they sell vehicles based on demand. I get it, but isn't it a bit irresponsible to sell a vehicle to someone when the recommended fuel isn't readily available?

TDI BRI

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4 dr
MSU- I am currently not using any fuel additives. Have you heard of any recommendations for additives for our vehicle?