2500 RPM max while in Park or Neutral. Normal?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Normal. I guess the engineers don't want you to blow your engine apart by revving it unloaded...

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
It is a plot to prevent newbies from breaking in their new cars while sitting in the driveway.:)

(seriously, I remember it twice (at least) being asked if it was ok to sit in the driveway doing XX00 RPM in neutral to break in the engine of a new TDI. Amazing....):eek::confused::eek:

Bill

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
To prevent the old 'Neutral Drop' routine from blowing apart the drive-train? I can't think of any useful reason to be sitting in neutral revving the car like that.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
no-blue-screen...Isn't that what "launch control" is all about? It's all the rage amongst boy-racers...
I'm SURE that's what TomB was trying to do...get that diesel wound up to...oh...say 45-4600rpm and slam it into gear.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
no-blue-screen...Isn't that what "launch control" is all about? It's all the rage amongst boy-racers...
I'm SURE that's what TomB was trying to do...get that diesel wound up to...oh...say 45-4600rpm and slam it into gear.
I don't know many boy racers that drive diesels...LOL. Most of them drive ricers with loud exhaust around here. Your not gonna get much launch revving that high.....that has catastrophic failure written all over it...LOL.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The CJAA does that as well, it's a "feature!"

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
LOL! Definitely not racing this way with the DSG. It would probably blow it apart. :)

I was warming up the engine while waiting for the other half and found it curious that it is limited to this range.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
LOL! Definitely not racing this way with the DSG. It would probably blow it apart. :)

I was warming up the engine while waiting for the other half and found it curious that it is limited to this range.
Geez, Tom...do you always warm up your engines in neutral, winding out above 2500rpm? :eek::D Gee...maybe you're onto something, as I notice you're still on yor first tank...must be getting, what...90 mpg?

I know, I know....you're still just checking things out...

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
I used to do that ...when I was young..but not anymore. Best way to warm it up is to drive it. I let it run long enough one or two mins to get oil circulating and then I take off. Just sitting there with it running to warm it up you are getting 0 mpg. But I do understand you are playing with your new toy.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't even wait for the one or two mins. I start, listen, and let it roll as soon as I'm sure everything's in order.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here's one way to pass the time...turn the engine off (after it's completely warmed up) and listen to all the whines/whistles/hums...try to locate each one, time how long they take to stop doing whatever it is they're doing. Then, try to figure out WHAT they're doing.
I'd like to know WHAT all the noises are. I'm assuming SILENCE is not a good thing after shut-off?
You said you were bored. This should keep you busy.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Here's one way to pass the time...turn the engine off (after it's completely warmed up) and listen to all the whines/whistles/hums...try to locate each one, time how long they take to stop doing whatever it is they're doing. Then, try to figure out WHAT they're doing.
I'd like to know WHAT all the noises are. I'm assuming SILENCE is not a good thing after shut-off?
You said you were bored. This should keep you busy.
I am not that OCD. Besides after having both the 05s and the Jeep they all make noises afterwards as the intake flaps and all the other stuff deactivate after shutdown.

I slipped the DSG into neutral from drive while driving and the engine was NOT limited by the 2500 rpms. I could get it above 2500 rpms without issue. Looks like it is tied to actual vehicle movement too.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Uhhh...yea...Tom...you're not OCD...a TRULY OCD person would have posted 52 photos of his car...you only posted 51...my apologies...:D:D

(ah, c'mon...it takes one to know one! I just haven't figured out yet how to post my 53 photos...)