Shell's 5W-30 Helix Ultra Extra 504.00 / 507.00 Motor Oil

Sloppy Snood

Veteran Member
TDI
Passsat
wjdell / European Shell oil gurus -

I was able to find the MSDS sheet on the Shell 5W-30 Helix Ultra Extra 504.00/ 507.00 motor oil.

While not currently available in the U.S., the Technical Data Sheet did indicate that it was a "blend of severly treated slack wax, polyolefins, and additives."

LINK: http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GSAP_msds_00002064.PDF

Based on this information and the graphic with the Helix Ultra Extra oil, it appears that the base stock is not a Group IV/V basestock but rather a Group III.

Is that correct?

If so, why not put this additive package in a 100% Group IV/V oil? Thanks for any thoughts or information. -Sloppy

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
That is pure syn as far as I can tell - wish it was here in the states - Shell will eventually offer this oil, I believe.

Sloppy Snood

Veteran Member
TDI
Passsat
Group III or Group IV/V Basestock?

wjdell said:
That is pure syn as far as I can tell - wish it was here in the states - Shell will eventually offer this oil, I believe.
When you say "pure syn" wjdell, do you mean Group IV/V basestocks exclusively?

I like the Helix oil but would prefer a "real" synthetic (and classification of Group III basestocks in the UK are allowed for the "fully synthetic" claim (from what I have read)).

Any links or info supporting Helix Ultra Extra as a Group IV/V synthetic?

Thank you. -Scott

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[SIZE=-1]Slack Wax[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]A semi-refined wax, distinguished from scale wax by having a generally higher oil content. Semi-refined slack waxes may have oil contents up to 30 mass percent. Slack waxes with oil content below 10 mass percent are used for manufacture of religious candles. Slack wax is the crude wax produced by chilling and solvent filter-pressing wax distillate. There are basically three types of slack wax produced, the type depending on the viscosity of the lube oil being dewaxed: low neutral, medium neutral, and heavy neutral.

So I take it its GRP IV/V with hyrodtreated slack wax. I imagine its part of the VI package. I think Andy H might be better able to answer this.
[/SIZE]

GMARK

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL Reflex Silver 5 speed. Ventectomy, coolant migration mod, Hella Comets, FK air ducts.
Unless Shell has changed, they formulate all of their "synthetic" motor oils from their excellent XHVI basestock which is a Group III. That being said, it's good enough for Ferrari as 60-weight Helix is the only factory-approved oil.

G

Bjorn S

TDI
Audi A6 Avant 1.9 TDI (PD),2008 Audi Q7 4.2TDI
Shell Helix for various VW-specs.

VW 505.01
* Pumpedüse dieselmotorer UTAN longlife service, årsmodell före 2002. ( my remarks: translation: For PD-dieselengines without Long Life service before year 2002 ) / Bjorn
Also plse note that the Helix Diesel Plus VA used to be a 5W-40 until recently - now it is a 5W-30 !
VW 506.00 och 506.01
** VW R5 och V10 TDI pumpedüse dieselmotorer, med eller utan DPF och med eller utan longlife service, årsmodeller före 2006.
( My remarks/ translation : VW R5 and V10 TDI PD-engines with or without Diesel Particle Filter and with or without LL-service year model before 2006 // Bjorn

VW 507.00
Further translation from Swedish to English...
" delsyntetisk" - means semi-synthetic
" helsyntetisk - means full synthetic

All above from Shells homepage / Sweden - if this could help/clarify.

The Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 came on the market in Scandinavia spring 2007 - // Cheers Bjorn

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Must be good stuff!

Page 2-7 Aircraft limitations say
Diamond Aircraft engine oils said:
Oil specification :
SHELL HELIX ULTRA 5W30 synthetic API SL/CF
SHELL HELIX ULTRA 5W40 synthetic API SL/CF
AERO SHELL OIL Diesel 10W-40

DB

Last edited:

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
I wonder if BleachedBora is using this in his car he drives to the airport... :D

DB

Sloppy Snood

Veteran Member
TDI
Passsat
Bjorn S said:
VW 505.01
* Pumpedüse dieselmotorer UTAN longlife service, årsmodell före 2002. ( my remarks: translation: For PD-dieselengines without Long Life service before year 2002 ) / Bjorn
Also plse note that the Helix Diesel Plus VA used to be a 5W-40 until recently - now it is a 5W-30 !
VW 506.00 och 506.01
** VW R5 och V10 TDI pumpedüse dieselmotorer, med eller utan DPF och med eller utan longlife service, årsmodeller före 2006.
( My remarks/ translation : VW R5 and V10 TDI PD-engines with or without Diesel Particle Filter and with or without LL-service year model before 2006 // Bjorn

VW 507.00
Further translation from Swedish to English...
" delsyntetisk" - means semi-synthetic
" helsyntetisk - means full synthetic

All above from Shells homepage / Sweden - if this could help/clarify.

The Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 came on the market in Scandinavia spring 2007 - // Cheers Bjorn
Thank you so much Bjorn! ;)

What does the 5W-30 Helix Ultra Extra cost in U.S. dollars per liter?

Will Swedish companies ship this oil to the United States?? I want some NOW! :eek: Thank you! -Slopster

BTW - I am waiting on Shell to respond to my e-mail inquiries about 5W-30 Helix Ultra Extra availability in the United States and confirmation of the base stock composition being Group IV/V. Stay tuned.....

Last edited:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This is why I believe that Shell may make this oil avail in NA soon. This is the oil I would have used from the start. I started a thread to see if I could get interest but little showed so I never forwarded it to Shell.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=142061&highlight=Helix

ACEA: A3/B4/C2/C3
BMW Long Life-04
Mercedes Benz 229.51 229.31
VW 504.00/507.00
Chrysler MS-11106

Last edited:

Sloppy Snood

Veteran Member
TDI
Passsat
wjdell said:
This is why I believe that Shell may make this oil avail in NA soon. This is the oil I would have used from the start. I started a thread to see if I could get interest but little showed so I never forwarded it to Shell.
That's why we need to get ahold of a case wjdell! We'll be the first TDIClub.com documented use of Shell Helix Ultra Extra 504.00 / 507.00 in North America and the envy of others.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was tempted to have my mother in law bring some, she is here for X-Mas. But the weight for her was to much to ask.

Shell may package this oil for aircraft use - I tried to get a certain oil back in the 80's, it to was only avail in Europe. A rep from Shell called me and told me to use Aero-Shell 20W50 it was near identical.

Bjorn S

TDI
The prices on an average Shell gas station to a consumer - on the shelf -are as follows
For the Shell Helix spec. VW 50501 - Usd 22/ liter
For the Shell Helix spec. VW 50601 - Usd 25/liter
For the Shell Helix spec. VW 50700 - Usd 28/liter

To give you an idea - the price for one liter of diesel - Shell and others -
plus minus 5 percent - corresponds to Usd 1.875 / liter

I travel frequently in Germany and other Scandinavian countries and it is pretty much the same prices there - give and take plus minus 5 percent.

I cld check if UPS/Fed Ex and/or others accepts this - I wld assume it is regarded as Hazardous cargo - when transported- the alternative wld be a consolidtaed container transport. To give you and idea Maersk Line needs 7-8 days from Gothenburg to New York.

Kind regards / Bjorn

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Bjorn S said:
The prices on an average Shell gas station to a consumer - on the shelf -are as follows
For the Shell Helix spec. VW 50501 - Usd 22/ liter
For the Shell Helix spec. VW 50601 - Usd 25/liter
For the Shell Helix spec. VW 50700 - Usd 28/liter

To give you an idea - the price for one liter of diesel - Shell and others -
plus minus 5 percent - corresponds to Usd 1.875 / liter
I assume that this is due to the value of the US dollar being low right now?

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Shell Helix Ultra Extra

No they tax heavily - this oil is reasonable in Russia -

http://www-static.shell.com/static/global/fwimgs/1.gif http://www-static.shell.com/static/ru-ru/images/helix/hl06_mi_ultraextra_r.jpgАбсолютно новая высокотехнологичная разработка SHELL

• полностью синтетическое моторное масло
• отвечает самым высоким требованиям спецификаций автопроизводителей
• моторное масло с низкой зольностью, пониженным содержанием фосфора и серы для защиты всех бензиновых двигателей с каталитическими конвертерами
• низкая зольность обеспечивает дополнительную защиту дизельного сажевого фильтра
• подходит для автомобилей с увеличенным интервалом замены масла (до 30 000 км или 2 лет)

SAE 5W-30, ACEA C2, C3(A3/B3/B4), MB 229.31; 229.51, BMW Longlife-04, VW 504.00/507.00

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Check this one out for Sibera - :) called Polar

Shell Helix Ultra Extra Polar

Разработано для эффективной работы при экстремальных температурах

• полностью синтетическое моторное масло
• отвечает последним требованиям американской классификации
• легкий пуск при экстремально низких температурах
• надежная защита при высоких температурах
• улучшенная топливная экономичность

SAE 0W-40, API SM/CF, ACEA A3/B3/B4, VW 502.00/505.00, MB 229.5, Meets PSA E & D requirements, BMW Longlife-01, Porsche

Bjorn S

TDI
Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 on the German and Scandinavian market exceeds the following specs:
BMW Long Life-04
VW 504.00/507.00​
Chrysler MS-11106

Same as the " russian " ? version.. except also Chrysler ?
Bjorn

Bjorn S

TDI
Helix different versions

Sorry - didn´t see u were on the Polar.. my misstake. Sorry
But Polar is not a VW 507 00 / Bjorn

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The point is how many cars in Russia are using this oil - allot less than it would be used in NA. But yet they went to the expense to market that oil in Russia which by the way they make some pretty good oil themselves.. DA I have eve read Russian white papers on oil additives. So with all those approvals for Helix Ultra Extra, it can cover
MB - VW - BMW - Crysler + its ACEA specs surely it would be worth marketing in USA, especially with all the Shell outlets and the popularity of thier products.

Bjorn S

TDI
I follow You - and Sweden too - with a population of only 8 million inhab.

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
Shell will eventually market this here as Quaker State once the 507 spec takes hold. QS 5w40 505.01 is the repacked Shell Helix 5w40 505.01. QS now has a 505.01 5w30 oil. Just a matter of time.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I do not believe it was repackaged - same formula maybe but not exactly the same. Mobil 1 ESP comes from Amsterdam. Quakerstate like Agip is made here, yes Agip makes oils in PA.

Sloppy Snood

Veteran Member
TDI
Passsat
wjdell said:
That was from the cut and paste - they are just graphic lnks I think.
Sorry about that.....I could have just looked at the file types (.gif).

Good work running down information on "our" oil. ;)

Last edited:

nortones2

Veteran Member
TDI
Formerly Passat 1.9 110hp
wjdell said:
The point is how many cars in Russia are using this oil - allot less than it would be used in NA. But yet they went to the expense to market that oil in Russia which by the way they make some pretty good oil themselves.. DA I have eve read Russian white papers on oil additives. So with all those approvals for Helix Ultra Extra, it can cover
MB - VW - BMW - Crysler + its ACEA specs surely it would be worth marketing in USA, especially with all the Shell outlets and the popularity of thier products.
The % of diesel cars of any sort in US must be very small. so I imagine that the diesel VW market in Russia is much larger than in the USA. Or don't you think so?

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
nortones -- diesels are not popular, especially in Sibera and most goes by rail to cities and is then put on trucks. Also the % of people who still own cars is not much. The roads will turn a car to scrap in just a few years. How many Russians with a average monthly salary of about < 500 can own and maintain a car. The insurance is comparable to US rates. A three year old car looks like its 15 years old. The ones who have cars in much of Russia store them in November. Its just impossible to use them, the snow and the cold. In my family there was only one person who even owns a car. Do you know how hard it is to borrow money from a bank. My brother in law owns his flat - worth $ 40k. He makes a 1000 a month in TV. He was turrned down for a 3k loan. The reason is that he has wife and child. In Russia if you default the courts will not hurt the family. So the bank would lose the money as the courts would not force him to pay.

I think that Shell may currently have a ageement with the Quakerstate diviision. Or maybe Exxon. GM and Ford did similar with colors of cars. We will only sell certain products in certain markets and in turn you sell certain products in other markets.

Bjorn S

TDI
//quote//
I think that Shell may currently have a ageement with the Quakerstate diviision. Or maybe Exxon. GM and Ford did similar with colors of cars. We will only sell certain products in certain markets and in turn you sell certain products in other markets.[/quote]

So: Royal Dutch Shell - beeing a european company with head office in Haag,The Netherlands and London U.K and beeing the second largest petrochemical company in the world - after ExxonMobil which is a US.Co- shld have a deal not to sell certain premium products in North America ?

I honestly doubt it - but I do not know.

I think the explanation might be the North American ( diesel) market is too small...not the European.

50 percent of all new cars in Europe are diesel-powered. Parts of Russia
belong to Europe - whether we like it or not....*

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bjorn

look again - 504.00 that is a gsoline spec - LL04 - MB 229.3x 229.5x as well Chrysler your reasoning that this is a diesel oil is not correct - its primary use is gas.

BMW Long Life-04
VW 504.00/507.00​
Chrysler MS-11106

nortones2

Veteran Member
TDI
Formerly Passat 1.9 110hp
The car market in Russia in 2006 was over 2 million units, and the market is growing rapidly. 10% of that in diesels (a guess) dwarfs the current US sales. VW have a new assembly plant also.