GTC1549VZ Questions!

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Hello guys!
Iam planning to fit a GTC1549vz turbo (817047) to my 2003 audi a4 b6 1.9pdtdi 130hp quattro car,with BA pd unit injectors(factory).
I would like to ask some advice or information about this turbocharger i read somewhere this turbo spools very fast and it can boost up to 1,6-1,7bar.
So my question is is this turbo will a good choice to my car?
Any1 has ever fitted that kind of turbo? MAybe some pictures about the install
At the moment i did not find any info about turbo flange dimensions to fit my AVF/AWX exhaust manifold.Oil feed and drain line locations seems the same.
Please if any1 know anything about this turbo share with me!
I found some pictures about the flange -->
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks!

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH 388bhp, Polo 6R 2.0TDI CR GTC1752VZ
I think GTC1549VZ is from CR motor, it does not bolt on straight to AVF manifold.

BV43 is from PD motor, it bolts right to AVF manifold.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Ricsi here has already a bv43 but its spooling badly- methinks its not set properly or the tune is wrong... The CR tubos have a different angle on the manifold flange so they sit at a slightly odd angle compared tot the pd turbo. I advised ricsi to buy a CR bv43b cartidge and swap it into his existing housings thus making it a bolt on turbo but he is not sure about it ! With a bit of cutting and welding any turbo can be made to fit its how determined one is !

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Yep that's a cr turbo, you'll need an adapter p!are made.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Also the exhaust flange is different- rotated differently and slightly lager spacing on the bolts and also larger discharge hole compared with the pd flange... You will figure it out once you have both turbos on the bench ! With a bit of grinding with a dremel or die grinder you can make the cr turbo bolt on the AVF manifold however it puts the turbo at a funny angle compared with the cr manifold...

IJskonijn

TDI
Seat Leon 1M - ASV
I'm also thinking of doing this!
Has someone already mounted it on a transversely mounted engine?
Does it really spool that fast and still make 180+ hp on our older TDI's?

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Hello guys!

Thank you for ansewaring!
As Adamss24 said i have got a blue tag bv43 from 170pdtdi bva engine.My car is like a na diesel engine below 2200rpm so its really annoy me,my car is a daily drive car in the city so i would like to make a relative quick car!
Btw Adamss24 sorry for all these posts and silly questions but i dont want to fall into an other problem i would like to receive as much opinion or review as possible!
I can see the flagnes are different of course!
I talked a guy who said you can bolt to avf manifold you just need to drill the holes from 8,5mm to ~10,5mm size.
If anyone has ever fitted this kind of turbo withouth welding i would like to check that.
Also the maximum boost pressure is questionable i heared 1,6 to 1,8bar boost
Ps: as soon as i got any good info i will post here so if someone would like to know more about or would like to fit this turbo it will help i hope!

Thanks Ricsi!

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
I dont know how long The gtc will last for with 1.8 bar of boost, The tiny turbine is the botleneck... the Cr will fit with a bit of fettling on the AVF manifold but it sits raised up a little and it’s a bit twisted too. The downpipe will need modifying and also the intake pipe. Oil feed pipe will need to be custom (flexi) and the oil drain needs to be made a touch longer...
The reason why I recommended a bv43b is that it’s spooling similarly to a gtc...

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Yes i know,but i dont have time to make an experiment with the car i need it to my work!
I also managed to get an engine block with cyl head on,exhaust manifold oil drain and feed lines....i have got get a gtc turbo oem turbo on his way so i can make some measure ments!
As soon as i got something i will post it!
[/URL][/IMG]

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Hello guys!
So i managed to do some drawing and made an upgraded Gasket to fit a gtc1549 to oem 8V pdtdi AVF manifold.
At the moment i just got draws and a metal plate that i made useing that draw currently trying to find a good turbo with a decent price!
So if you would like to fit this turbo i think you just need to make the holes little bit bigger.
[/URL][/IMG]
Something like this:
[/URL][/IMG]
I have got a gasket kit for Gtc1549vz and it seems the oil return line sizes are the same as gt1749va so gtc oil drain line gasket fit to 1749 and vica versa!
About the oil feed line it has got the same fitting but currently i dont have got the turbo so i dont know will the oem metal oil feed line will fit.
Same as turbo support bracelet i have to wait fot the turbo.
And the exhaust side is not the same as 1749va i will do a draw when i got time,and i would like to get a turbo as fast as i can!
I will keep you guys up to date so if any1 would like to fit this turbo maybe i can help because i dont find any help on the forums or on the internet!

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Hello guys!!
So i got a Gtc1549vz turbocharger and today i made a few testfit.
First thing you have to reclock the turbo,there was a little pin that i removed and after i could reclock the turbo maybe needed to reclock 2cm anticlockwise.
I would like to ask some help here,because i made a testfit and the turbo sits in a strange angle when i put 2 bolts in from 3 bolts so maybe i need to make 1 bolt to work with but with this setup turbo is little bit twisted but 2 bolts aligned,and the manifold outlet port and turbo inlet port is okay.
Any1 who made an adapter plate could give me some info or picture? or any advise?
As for oil feed i have to made a custom pipe factory pipe is bolt is smaller than this,and for the oil return line is again a custom job, and the turbo support metal need to rework.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

B3achbum

Veteran Member
TDI
(Nigel) 2004 jw GLS 5sp / +332K miles, (Hildegarde) 2008 R320 CDI / +132K miles
Matt Whitbread has done the most of these but no longer active on forum.
Ricsi, are you wanting to do transverse or longways? Longways might be easier but it will be a custom fit either way.

If transverse you will need to cut the ear off the intake housing (with the vnt actuator) along a scribed circle, so you can clock the cold side and keep the same lever angle on the actuator arm. Then weld the ear back to the cold housing.

That's the hardest part. For transverse you will also rather have the old transverse exhaust manifold from AHU or similar to keep the turbo tucked closer to block and away from firewall interference.
It works better for an adapter plate too, because the bolt pattern of that manifold has triangle more or less opposite so (6) bolts are between each other.

I will be doing mine soon (seems like I've been telling myself 'soon' for way too long...).
Will post pictures / drawings as I work them up.

Here is private site of photos, member did a bolt-up with adapter plate:
http://johnsherlock.com/Client/GTC1549VK/
( Is really gtc1749vz )

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Hello guys!

Im makeing this for an a4 b6 so its a longitudinal engine.
Im looking foward for your pictures and advices!

I know my pictures are big but i dont know how can i edit those.

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
To resize pictures you can use any software, but this is before posting them. Ex. Windows photos, gimp... Acdsee, IrfanView.

Try to overlap the 2 drawings around the common bolt to find out the angle or position of the bolts and holes so you can make a flange like on the website. That one is made for transversal engine. You need to use your exhaust manifold to keep the turbo far from the mounting. If you make all the measurements, it can be done in Autocad and then cut with plasma or water jet. I did this for GTV2056VL and AHU manifold (the one in the pictures from that website).
I'm curios if you use the common bolt, the center hole is aligned with the one from the manifold.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Hello!
I will try to put my images to fit this page sorry about that!
I can fit this turbo charger this way with the factory bolt to the manifold and i have to drill one bolt for the turbo bigger diameter:
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
As you can see the manifold outlet and the turbo inlet port are lined up there is no restriction and the factory pdtdi gasket will fit!
BUT!! But the turbo will sit like this position:

[URL=http://kepkezelo.com/]
[IMG]http://kepkezelo.com/images/58x9sfntboy0g97n9l4a.png[/URL][/IMG]
At the first measurements it will fit to the car,i will need custom oil feed and return line as well as turbo support bracelet!
What do you think of?

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
If you rotate it to normal position (considering natural position of the engine, which is also rotated) to right, can a flange be used , there is enough space to put bolts? The flange should be bolted first to the manifold.
If you do like I said, please make measurements, angles, distance between some bolt, maybe I can draw it in Autocad.
or....you can weld it to manifold in the right position.

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Hello!!

With this position i can bolt right up to the oem manifold!
i think if i use an adapter plate maybe wont fit because of the adapter plate thickness.
I dont want to weld to the manifold because im afraid it will break off i would like to use bolts :D as i said i could bolt up to oem manifold only bad thing is the turbo sits like that position but i think it will fit to my engine bay without any problem.Just need to make custom oil feed and return line and ofcourse intercooler outlet and exhaust flange!

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
AWX/AVF/AFN etc. they are all the same manifold- longitudinal engines... I have done it before, wouldnt recomend it as the OP has a PD bv43 and it was a natural thing to go to a CR bv43a as the CHRA swaps over between the models. However the CR exhaust housing has larger spacing and larger hole to exhaust spent gases so i would use the CR hotside if i was in his position just for better flow ! However the CR hotside poses the above mentioned issue with turbo sitting at an odd angle...

IJskonijn

TDI
Seat Leon 1M - ASV
I'm asking because i have this turbo and i want to make it fit on my own car. It has a transverse mounted engine.
Maybe someone knows what manifold to start with? :D

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
As above, AWX/AVF manifold with a bit of enlarging the holes will fit. The exhaust needs to be modified a bit witha a new flange grafted in to suit. I have fitted a bv43a to a pd100 audi a3 so its doable. Custom oil drain, custom oil feed braided line and a pd150 intake pipe its what it took ! the car went well...

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
You need to make an adapter plate, look at Darkside Performance for examples and use a Passat manifold, which I think you have but can't tell as the pics are too big.

john.jackson9213 runs one, spools like stock, will do 200 chp. Whitbread made his adapter.

skaude

TDI
7x 1.9tdi passat variant
We have gtc1549vzk in AHH 1.9.
2.2bar, .275s maxed out on 11mm.

5.5s 0-100. 3.4 80-120. It can spool as low as tou want, your transmission/clutch will die first. We were requesting 1.8bar by 1800rpm, with fresh DMF/SRE, scary stuff.

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Hello guys!!
So far a little update, the turbo is working on my car right now!
Fitment was good! There is no adapter plate nothing just bolted right up to oem AVF manifold!! if you have any question maybe i can help let me know!
At the moment i need to reprogram the car but first impressions are great!
All i can say there is ZERO lagg! Thorttle respon time reduced alot!!

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, so in the end you used AVF maniold and the turbo still sits at a slight angle, yes ? Nice to know there is no lag, i think you had a duff bv43 to start with...

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Hello guys!!

Yes i used an oem avf manifold i just had to drill bigger holes on the turbo,used oem gasket for the 1749va..thats all , yes the turbo is sitting in a slight angle but is okay i have got the oem air filter and it was easier to tighten up bolts for the turbo and the oil backflow line.
Later i will upload more pictures maybe that can help.
About the boost: as you guys know i had a bv43 from a 2 liter pdtdi it was very very laggy i dont have got boost or i had very low boost under 2k rpm it wasnt fun to drive in city....after i replaced with this turbo ....Wowww
Even got boost in 1st gear...and the throttle respon time was amazing there is zero lagg i mean really zero when you push the pedal immediately boost comes..at the moment i dont had time to put a good remap on her so its needs a little more time but it was worth it!!
In vcds basic settings with the bv turbo i has 80mbar difference on-off with this turbo i had nearly 200mbar something like 191mbar....

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
It’s quite common for the actuators on bv43 to fail and give this sort of bad spool...it’s nice to know that the new turbo is good for a daily driver, most forget drive ability when it comes to tuning with larger nozzles and big turbos !