catalytic converter on Golf

damir

I had to remove my catalytic converter on Golf 4 TDI '98 because it was damaged.
New catalysator is pretty expensive, so I'm interested in what effect on car will I have if I drive without it. Will it be louder? Do I have to put only original VW catalysator?
Thanks!

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Might be a little louder. Won't harm the car to drive without it. Would be illegal to not have one here in the US. No idea what the emissions laws are over there.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
damir....
If this was me...and If I were in a situation where it would be legal to run my TDI without the catalytic converter...I would take my pipe cutter and remove it..and run a section of straight stainless pipe. If You are not required to have it...then remove it . The removal of the catalytic converter will not harm your engine nor will it degrade performance...You lucky Dog !

damir

Right now, we don't have any laws about it. The mechanic replaced the cat with pipe and I think that it is little louder. Is it ok to drive it with pipe instead of shell of cat only? I'm thinking about bying a new cat but it is pretty expensive here (around 1000$).
But, even without cat I can't see any smoke...
What do you think, should I buy a cat, or drive this way?