Tire Replacement Time

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I posted nearby that my Hankook 725A blew out a sidewall today. Tires have about 44k on them, so I think I'll just replace the whole set a few months sooner than I was planning.

Looking at the TireRack ratings, these three look very good:

1) Conti ExtremeContact DWS,

2) Goodyear's Eagle Sport All-Season V-rated, and

3) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 V-Rated

I live in a snow area, but we don't get a ton, and the town clears it very quickly, so I don't need winter tires. But I want a tire that's going to perform decently in wet and light snow. The Conti is in the Ultra High Performance A/S category, the other two are in the High Perf A/S category.

Any real world experience with any of these? Noise and treadlife are important to me, in addition to good dry road performance.

Other recommendations?

Thanks.

japedo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI CL 6MT
I had a couple sets of the continental dws tires on my Volvo I had prior to my vw.
They wernt noisy, and lasted well...
I always run winter tires tho so can't vouche for them in that department..

They are great in the rain as well

Best of luck

torrimac

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sedan DSG
I am shopping as well. Looking at Yokahama Avid Ascend's

I currently have Michelin MXIV's or what ever they are. Got 40k out of them but the road noise seemed pretty bad.

GCoop

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL w/ LDAP
My vote is for the Continental DWS

I have been running the Conti DWS for a while now on the 325xi. Great tire in every condition and great tread life. I actually just put a new set on to replace the worn out ones. Keep in mind that this was the older generation DWS the new revision (2.0 if you will) that just came out this year are supposed to be an improvement but I have no experience with those...yet :cool:

Last edited:

gopack471

TDI
'14 Jetta TDI
I had Goodyear Eagles come OEM on my previous car. They weren't too bad when it was dry, but the wet and especially snow traction wasn't great. I replaced them with Pirelli P7 Cintuartos and was very happy with them. On my Jetta I have Michelin Premier A/S and they're not bad in the snow at all, however they break free when starting and turning to enter traffic all the time. If I needed tires now I'd probably go back to the Pirellis

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Ha. All rubber slides on ice and snow. Expect it.

Although I did smoke the 700r4 last winter. Chains all around and 4000# , thought I was running out of carb and engine when plowing. Often I was squeezing carpet and nothing spinning or moving. Had the xfer case in low range too.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I'm the OP. I just bought a set of Conti DWS ExtremeContact 06. The "06" designation is for the brand new model.

I only have about 200 miles on these, but I'm very disappointed. Can't believe they classify this as a "ultra high performance A/S". There's nothing ultra or high perf about these. Very squishy on turn-in, not confidence-inspiring in cornering, they feel like they have a lot of rolling resistance.

I checked the air pressure a day after they were installed, I thought it may have been low. They were all at 38 psi, 5 over the Jetta recommendation. They felt like 20 psi. I brought the psi up to 45. A little better but still not good.

The OEM Hankook 725's, not a good tire, felt a lot better. I'm gonna give it another week and decide what I'm going to do. Some places let you exchange them in the first 30 days if you're not happy.

GCoop

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL w/ LDAP
I'm the OP. I just bought a set of Conti DWS ExtremeContact 06. The "06" designation is for the brand new model.

I only have about 200 miles on these, but I'm very disappointed. Can't believe they classify this as a "ultra high performance A/S". There's nothing ultra or high perf about these. Very squishy on turn-in, not confidence-inspiring in cornering, they feel like they have a lot of rolling resistance.

I checked the air pressure a day after they were installed, I thought it may have been low. They were all at 38 psi, 5 over the Jetta recommendation. They felt like 20 psi. I brought the psi up to 45. A little better but still not good.

The OEM Hankook 725's, not a good tire, felt a lot better. I'm gonna give it another week and decide what I'm going to do. Some places let you exchange them in the first 30 days if you're not happy.

Wow. Not my experience at all with the original generation tire. What size are you running?

The 225/45-17 I use on the e46 feel like I am on rails.

japedo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI CL 6MT

Wow... Your opinion goes against these tires great reputation... To bad your arnt happy with them..
I have never been one to run any higher tire pressure then 34psi. If you go back to the store you baught them at complaining that the tires arnt "confidence inspiring" make sure you decrease your tire pressure or they may laugh at you.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
What size are you running?

The 225/45-17 I use on the e46 feel like I am on rails.
I have the stock 205/55-16. Maybe this is a case of where size matters ─ the bigger low profile tires perform better.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow... Your opinion goes against these tires great reputation
That's what I find so perplexing about this. For at least the last 20 years, I've relied on TireRack ratings to pick tires. I've never been disappointed. The ExtremeContact DWS was #1 in those ratings with a couple of million miles of user experience. The only thing I can think, is that the new version, the "06", is not the "improvement" that it's touted to be. Sometimes, upgrades are downgrades. And there were no ratings on TireRack for the new 06 model.

If you go back to the store you baught them at complaining that the tires arnt "confidence inspiring" make sure you decrease your tire pressure or they may laugh at you.
Yes, I was definitely planning on bringing the psi back down to the 38 where they set it. Today, I'm going to lower it to 42 to see if that changes anything. I doubt it, because 38 and 45 both didn't feel great. The car feels like all four tires are seriously underinflated.

snakefart

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT ------ 2013 Jetta 6MT (went away)
When I purchased my 2013 in April this year the factory tires were looking pretty beat down at 33k miles. Being a little tight on cash, I installed a set of 215/55/16 Falken Pro G4's. They were just over $300 mounted, balanced and tax at my local Discount Tire. I put down a bunch of miles, I am usually very particular about tire selection. I figured these would be on the car until this winter when the snows go on or until I could afford something a little better. 14k miles later, I can say these are great tires! They are awesome in the rain and did very good in the few late season snow storms we had (I live in the mountains above Denver CO, commuting daily into and across Denver). The car handles very good in dry conditions, they are certainly not an ultra high performance tire but I have found them to be very confidence inspiring in more aggressive driving, and did I mention they do great in the rain! Nice price too. In case you are wondering why I went with the off size, they were about $25 cheaper per tire then the OE size, they have the same diameter.

Last edited:

LovinPSDs

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Gone, looking for a cheap commuter
Anyone know how tall of a tire will fit completely stock? I know this sounds dumb, but my car turns entirely to many RPMs for my driving style. I was thinking I need to buy tires regardless, might as well go taller to drop my highway RPM.

Currently running a 205/55/16 which is 24.9x8.07x16

How much bigger can I go?

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Shift sooner from a different style?

6spds with factory size do like 1800rpm @ 60 in high gear?

That isn't much more then a fast idle.

Sent from an unlocked HTC One with CM12.1

F6Hawk

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Premium
My OEM ContiProContacts in 225/45R17 are pretty much shot at 40,100. I am surprised by the lack of good input on tires here. It seems no one has found a great tire that fits and rides well to replace the low-mileage stock tires?

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Just check Tire Rack and get something that's appropriate for your driving style and region.
In Sunny Socal it never rains, so it's sticky summer tires all year long. I have 64k miles on my Jetta and am 1/2 way through my third set of tires...

F6Hawk

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Premium
Just check Tire Rack and get something that's appropriate for your driving style and region.
In Sunny Socal it never rains, so it's sticky summer tires all year long. I have 64k miles on my Jetta and am 1/2 way through my third set of tires...

See, that is why this thread/concept needs more input! You are halfway thru your THIRD set at just 64K. And I thought I was doing bad at one set in 40,800. What are you running? What is their UTQG rating?

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
The first set was the OEM ContiProContacts which are 400 AA A rated. They lasted 20k miles, but this included some AX and HPDE time.
These tires were garbage IMO, but they are probably perfectly adequate for people who drive "normally." What was fun about them was they had such poor grip I could really play around with the car at low speeds. Handbrake turns at the local PCA AX kept the Porsche guys entertained.

The second set was a set of new takeoff tires/rims from a GLI. The Dunlop SP Sport 01 A/S are 220 A B rated tires. I didn't think much of these tires at first, but I was actually really impressed with them. They lasted longer than the ContiProContacts for me. I was able to keep up with some R32's at Fastivus on them and just thought they were great all around tires. I did get to drive way too fast in the rain on these tires and I though they held traction pretty well. I wore them out at about 58k miles, so they lasted around 28k miles.

I am currently running GT Radial Champiro HP1 tires. These are 280 AA A rated Summer tires. They looked a lot like Sumitomo HTR ZIII tires which I used to run on a previous car. I read a very good review about the tires at a Ford Focus website from a guy who autocrossed and rally-crossed on the tires. I think a few Lemons teams are also running them. I was very skeptical at first, but they are awesome tires for the $$. I ran the Champiros at Fastivus and they grip like all get out. Great great tires which I will be buying again when they wear out. Because I live in "The Land of No Water" I have not really used them much in the rain. I will be lucky if I get 25-30k miles from this set as well. I have a few 32's left before the wear bars. Oddly, I am wearing out the inside edges faster then the outsides... which doesn't make a lot of sense to me considering I have stock camber all around/

So, there's my review, but I don't think it will help the OP or probably most people here much.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
In my opinion, the General Altimax tires are the best for year round use up here in the Northeast. The price is manageable, they have long tread life, great grip rating.. I owned a set for my previous Jetta and got 80 thousand miles out of them and I purchased a set for my GF's car. She has almost 30 k on them and they still look great. They're a really great tire.
I posted nearby that my Hankook 725A blew out a sidewall today. Tires have about 44k on them, so I think I'll just replace the whole set a few months sooner than I was planning.

Looking at the TireRack ratings, these three look very good:

1) Conti ExtremeContact DWS,

2) Goodyear's Eagle Sport All-Season V-rated, and

3) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 V-Rated

I live in a snow area, but we don't get a ton, and the town clears it very quickly, so I don't need winter tires. But I want a tire that's going to perform decently in wet and light snow. The Conti is in the Ultra High Performance A/S category, the other two are in the High Perf A/S category.

Any real world experience with any of these? Noise and treadlife are important to me, in addition to good dry road performance.

Other recommendations?

Thanks.

Gotenks

TDI
2015 Jetta Comfortline
To have low rolling resistance tires which the factory Conti's also are, went ahead and picked up Nokian Entyre 2 and have been happy with them so far. In the winter will be putting on some Michelin X Ice 3's which have never had any complaints with they also try to be Low Rolling Resistance and are great for ice and snow.

F6Hawk

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Premium
Low rolling resistance means little if the price of the tires are higher. I'd rather save $50 on tires than $10 on gas.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Yes I always crunxh the math on carry out price (or install of you don't have the equipment) against the expected life mileage. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy 40k tires instead of 80k, per mileage

Sent from my One using Tapatalk