ECU Flash and Exhaust

ccbsecu

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Executive TDi
So I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a Malone Flash, DPF delete, straight pipe exhaust...my question (aside from the folks that will howl against this type of mod for environmental reasons) what is the down side? I understand the car will perform better, less issues with DPF long term, likely better MPG, etc....what am I mising?

For the readers benefit - NC does not check emissions for diesel vehicles.

ccbsecu

Veteran Member
TDI
flywheel shutter and speeding tickets

With your set up - do you have catless and resonator delete? if so - any smell?

Have you replaced your stock clutch and flywheel set up? I am only looking for a stage 2 tune - I would hope the stock clutch could accommodate that increase..?

Just for clarity - I save the tickets for when I drive the E93 M3:D

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
yes there is smell, no i have a rez because its to loud other wise....like i said the problem is fly wheel not clutch and no it will not accommodate it

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Do you plan to sell this car someday or do you plan to drive it forever? There can be many upsides to what you plan to do but the biggest downside is its legality. Having a car that is illegal to drive on the street is your problem while you own the car, but selling that car to someone else opens up a whole new can of worms. You will be restricted in who you can sell it to and where they live. Many parts of the country have emissions inspections and many places that currently do not have such inspections may well get them in the future. You will not be able to sell your car to anyone in most major cities and lots of other places.
So far I am only talking about restrictions on where and to whom you could sell it. There are also possible legal implications to selling the car without full disclosure of its "off road" status.

Have Fun!

Don

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
Keep original parts to replace modified parts before sale. Then sell modified parts after. Quite simple. Little labour, but not a big deal...

ccbsecu

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll keep all OEM parts in the barn for any future possible car sale - this is my first diesel, but not my first car mod:)

I also plan to keep the car for a considerable time - as it is really a fun daily driver, just want a little more punch when/if I put my foot into the throttle.

azthegame

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4dr Golf TDI w/DSG
Since you will have to upgrade your tranny anyways to handle the extra power, just save a while longer and go straight to a CR170 stage 3. Once you go stage 2 you will maybe want more in the future and the jump from stage 2 to 3 isn't crazy compared to going stock straight to stage 3. I wish I went that route..

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'll keep all OEM parts in the barn for any future possible car sale - this is my first diesel, but not my first car mod:)
Also keep in mind that when you put these parts back on for future sales, you will also have to flash the ECU back to stock or the buyer will be really mad when his DPF clogs in only a few hundred miles because your tune has eliminated DPF regenerations.

Have Fun!

Don

ccbsecu

Veteran Member
TDI
Since you will have to upgrade your tranny anyways to handle the extra power, just save a while longer and go straight to a CR170 stage 3. Once you go stage 2 you will maybe want more in the future and the jump from stage 2 to 3 isn't crazy compared to going stock straight to stage 3. I wish I went that route..
So - what would you (or the readers) recommend for transmission upgrades?

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
why are we talking about clutch still....i told you the clutch is not the issue. My clutch holds stage 3 at any point.

ccbsecu

Veteran Member
TDI
why are we talking about clutch still....i told you the clutch is not the issue. My clutch holds stage 3 at any point.
i understand your comment completely - would it not make sense to also upgrade the stock clutch to accommodate the higher torque with the flywheel upgrade..?

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
You have a 6mt? You have stock clutch components? You want to stage 2-3 your car? The stock clutch components can take that power upgrade?

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You have a 6mt? You have stock clutch components? You want to stage 2-3 your car? The stock clutch components can take that power upgrade?
umm yes if you read i do have a 6mt...and yes my clutch is stock...ive had stage 2 for 80,000kms...stage 3 for 3000kms...The stock clutch is just fine, even towing 2000+ lbs never slips.

Clearly as ive said a dozen times the issue is the flywheel, same issue with dsg too...it needs upgraded and common sense you are correct ccbsecu might as well do the clutch same time. Either south bend new kevlar kit or bullyclutch.

You will be fine to drive it for a while tho as i have with no regard to be easy on it...only issue is 5-6 below 2500rpm do not give it any big throttle imput