'97 Passat...cranking and cranking, and THEN it starts.

wsalopek

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat Grey
For the last few days, about 50% of the time, when I try to start the Passat, I have to crank it a few times (10-sec each, 3-4 times), and THEN the car starts.

I thought I was going to be stranded yesterday, as it took a few more cranks to get it started.

I did notice, on the last crank, out of the corner of my eye, that I was NOT getting a glow plug light for a couple seconds like I usually do at start-up.

Then on the last crank, when the car started, the glow plug light DID come on.

OK...so the problem seems to be something electrical?

Any ideas?

Thanks...

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
correct starting procedure is to turn the ignition on, and wait for the GP lite to go out before engaging the starter. It should not be lit when you are cranking it over.

If it stays on when the car is running, you have a GP problem. See Wingnuts GP 101 thread.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
How's your relay 109? It might be the problem, especially with your gp light not coming on with the turn of the key. If it's black, replace it. If it's gray, replace it anyways.

wsalopek

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat Grey
Thanks Tom,

The light goes off before I engage the starter (under normal conditions), and then stays off.

Under the current, abnormal condition, the glow plug light does not come on at all.

I did some more searching on the website, and it sounds like it could be a relay 109 problem...I had an "extra" relay 109, so I just replaced it...I won't know for a day or two or three if that was the fix....right now the car is starting fine...but then it started fine this morning before I swapped out the relay.

Thanks...

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Take the top off of the one you just removed. Get out your magnifying glass and look at the solder joints. You might be able to see why it's becoming unreliable.

Audi5000TDI

Banned
TDI
Passat, 1996, Grey
Grease car kit.... are you purging completely before shutdown? Probably time to refill your diesel tank with D2, it's getting filled with Vege oil every time you trun it off.

Change both your fuel filters also, Vege and D2.... vege oil clogs them fast... period.