Newer TDI

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Had an A3 TDI, rusted away to nothing..engine still ran like a top.

Looks like we will be driving to Florida multiple times per year for the next decade.

Looking at highway cruisers and the TDI comes to mind.

What’s up with all the low mileage low price TDIs of 2011+ vintage?

Emissions junk that costs a fortune to fix?

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Where have you been? ;)

Yeah, I'd say overall the market and consumer confidence hasn't exactly redeemed the newer generation of common-rail TDIs, but if you don't care about that then there are good deals to be had.

Since you specified highway cruising as your top focus, may I suggest you consider a Passat? The Jetta isn't really big or comfortable enough, and while I'd consider a 2015+ Golf to be the perfect size car for commuting AND some back road fun, the Passat seems to be built for long-distance, comfortable cruising.

I'd also suggest you consider a 2015 if in your budget, since the extended emission warranties offered straight from VW for these cars can last a long time and it'd make sense to buy a newer, low-mileage specimen.

Good luck in your search.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
New to Dieselgate, eh? :p

Almost too much to type to be honest, obviously every bit of info is contained on this site just spread out all over.

The short answer is: great deals for great cars, with a generous (but not all inclusive) warranty. However, yes there is a lot of fragile bits on them, largely surrounding the emissions compliance stuff but in some cases not directly related to that, that can be a headache. It really just depends on what your tolerance for that sort of thing is, and how much modding or hands on stuff you can tolerate. This also varies model to model, "TDI" doesn't give the whole story.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would second the Passat suggestion and the read up on everything before you buy. I bought one of the new left over 2015 Beetles for commuting and so far it has been great. The long warranty is the main reason I went back to one. I had a 2013 Passat and am considering buying another one as well. They really do make great highway cars. Lots of info here you need to catch up on before buying one.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Yeah I heard of “dieselgate” but didn’t really follow since I no longer had a TDI

I’m open to suggestions for a highway cruiser, trying to keep it under $15k (never financed, never will). Toyota’s look good also....Avalon for instance.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
The Passat beats a Jetta hands down for travel comfort, legroom, trunk space and just a great ride.
It ain't no sports car!!!

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
The difference in FE between an Avalon and a Passat TDI would be enough to convince me to take the Passat.

Even the hybrid option barely reaches the highway FE numbers for a Passat, and they have the $&#*@$ CVT transmissions that suuuuuuck, in my experience.

A Passat TDI with the DSG transmission would be the better choice in my book.

ratkc135

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat
I would second the Passat suggestion and the read up on everything before you buy. I bought one of the new left over 2015 Beetles for commuting and so far it has been great. The long warranty is the main reason I went back to one. I had a 2013 Passat and am considering buying another one as well. They really do make great highway cars. Lots of info here you need to catch up on before buying one.

I miss my ‘13 Passat I had to sell back! I say “had” as by what I assume was design EPA made it a no-brainer to sell back. Value of car plus what they would pay was around $5K less than the buy back outright cost I got. Sucks. Bought it new; broke it in properly...I wanted to keep it a long time! Bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think it really just depends on what you like, and what you want. Larger cars are generally nice on the highway, but the Germans tend to do an admirable job with the smaller cars too. My 1991 Jetta felt more secure and solid at 80 than my mom's new 1991 Camry, despite the Camry being larger and [literally] over twice the horsepower.

I do not feel newer Toyotas age as well as the older ones (rust aside, which may be something you need to consider more in your area than I do mine). They seem to have gone on a rampant cheapening campaign that takes away some of the feel of their cars. Sad to say, but a new Malibu or Fusion (both of which are being phased out, sadly, because 'murrica) feel more solid and more substantial to drive than a Camry or Accord. I'd say the NMS, despite also being an American(ized) foreign car falls somewhere inbetween, but has in my opinion more conservative styling which makes it look less "old" after a few years. Because in some respects it already looks old (it sort of is, eight models years with virtually no major changes is a pretty long time).

Some would argue the NMS is kind of soft and floaty, which I suppose it is. If you want something that feels more like a real German car but is of that similar size go take an Audi A6 for a spin. It feels like it is chiseled from a solid piece of stone, even at 100 MPH they barely feel like you are even moving. And you can, if you like, get one with a [V6] TDI, but you are not likely to find one for $15k. But seriously, if you want something to get from A to B down the highway, while sipping fuel relatively speaking (they'll tag 40 MPG if driven conservatively, which is impressive for a big AWD tank that can press you into the seat with a twitch of your right foot) then the A6 TDI is the Holy Grail.

But back to the Passat: they are roomy, for 2015 the manual versions are "legal", although there may be a handful of non-fixed 2012-14 manuals around they will be rare. Trunk is big, but you cannot use it all due to the old fashioned trunk hinges swinging into the cavity... not a big issue really, but worth noting, as the A4, A5, B5, and B6 sedans have the nice trunk hinges OUTSIDE the body which afford a little easier trunk packing, even if the total volume is a bit smaller.

The NCS Jetta is just like the NMS, just smaller.

The Golf, the Golf/Jetta Sportwagon, the Audi A3, are all still the German-type Volkswagens, even if not always made there. The A3 is somewhere sort of between a Golf and a Sportwagon through 2014 (it was technically called the A3 Sportback, but since that was the only A3 we got, they did not bother to add that to its name). The 2015 is a sedan only, but still the "Golf with a trunk" type of configuration as the pre-NCS (through 2010) Jetta sedan. The Audi A3s were all DSGs, no manuals were available for us.

The 2012+ Beetle is on the same underpinnings as the NCS Jetta, and it is actually VERY roomy and comfortable to drive...for two people. The back seat is not very big, obviously a bit of a chore to get in and out of, and the trunk (hatch) is larger than the NB it replaced, but still quite small. But as someone who is over 250 pounds and over six feet tall, I find them to be very nice to drive, and the visibility to the side due to the rearward position of coupes' B-pillars makes them even better.

FWIW, the later 5 cyl gas engines used in the NMS are pretty good, too. Stay away from any of the 4 cyl gas engines unless you like empty bank accounts, the EA888 4 cyl turbo gas family of engines is not VAG's finest (unless you are like me and make a living from them, because they are awesome for that). But the 5cyl even with the Aisin 6sp slushbox can get into the low 30s on the highway, with regular gasoline. No TDI, but not shabby either and they are pretty low PM cost.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The Beetles make a great commuter car and all around short term driving trips. Not so much for long highway rides. My 2013 Passat sel premium dsg would get in the low 50's mpg wise if kept around 60 mph or so (highway). Slightly less the faster you go.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
The Beetles make a great commuter car and all around short term driving trips. Not so much for long highway rides. My 2013 Passat sel premium dsg would get in the low 50's mpg wise if kept around 60 mph or so (highway). Slightly less the faster you go.
I scolded someone else about this in another thread, so don't feel bad when I say PLEASE, please don't do this out on any interstate even if the speed limit is 55 and you may be going through downtown/urban areas. Out on the open road, this is even more dangerous and annoying.

Even in the right-most lane (which nobody seem to want to use!) you're making semis have to go around you, which frustrates them, and in turn it frustrates the rest of us that get cut off by those semis trying to pass for literally miles sometimes.

If people treated the interstates properly, 2 lanes would suffice and everyone would get to where they're going safely and on time. They are NOT the place for hypermiling.

Edit: [steps off soapbox]

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I scolded someone else about this in another thread, so don't feel bad when I say PLEASE, please don't do this out on any interstate even if the speed limit is 55 and you may be going through downtown/urban areas. Out on the open road, this is even more dangerous and annoying.

Even in the right-most lane (which nobody seem to want to use!) you're making semis have to go around you, which frustrates them, and in turn it frustrates the rest of us that get cut off by those semis trying to pass for literally miles sometimes.

If people treated the interstates properly, 2 lanes would suffice and everyone would get to where they're going safely and on time. They are NOT the place for hypermiling.

Edit: [steps off soapbox]
First if the speed limit is 55 mph I will go 55 mph. If you want to speed you should change to the left lane and pass me. Same up to 65 mph. At faster speed limits I drive with the prevailing slowest traffic. I will speed up or slow down as to avoid other conflicts as needed. If semi drivers get frustrated that is their issue to deal with. I drove them for 10 years with no issues. Where and when possible I help them out when I can. I am not an eco driver but I am not in a hurry to get anywhere either. I do my part to follow the rules and expect the same from others. Maybe you should consider modifying your poor driving practices.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
First if the speed limit is 55 mph I will go 55 mph. If you want to speed you should change to the left lane and pass me. Same up to 65 mph. At faster speed limits I drive with the prevailing slowest traffic. I will speed up or slow down as to avoid other conflicts as needed. If semi drivers get frustrated that is their issue to deal with. I drove them for 10 years with no issues. Where and when possible I help them out when I can. I am not an eco driver but I am not in a hurry to get anywhere either. I do my part to follow the rules and expect the same from others. Maybe you should consider modifying your poor driving practices.
:rolleyes: Sounds like you are the prevailing slowest traffic.

I drove them too, and couldn't stand legalists like you. :eek:

OP: Apologies for the tangent/hijack. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I'd advise taking a few of your top choice contenders for a test drive and see if that helps you decide.

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
2015s definitely seem optimum, but if evaluating other makes / models, take a Hyundai hybrid for a test drive. I had all the usual mental objections but was very
pleasantly surprised when I tried one , and didnt take long to get out my wallet . Specificaly a low mileage 2014 Sonata

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
:rolleyes: Sounds like you are the prevailing slowest traffic.
I drove them too, and couldn't stand legalists like you. :eek:
OP: Apologies for the tangent/hijack. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
I'd advise taking a few of your top choice contenders for a test drive and see if that helps you decide.
What it sounds like to you and reality aren't the same. Funny how those who can't obey the laws blame those who do.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
When checking the warranty be aware there are two conditions, which ever is longer. The one you are talking about above is from the first in service date or first date of sale of the vehicle. The second is from the date of the last fix being performed on the car. Don't get them confused with each other.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
When checking the warranty be aware there are two conditions, which ever is longer. The one you are talking about above is from the first in service date or first date of sale of the vehicle. The second is from the date of the last fix being performed on the car. Don't get them confused with each other.
Most of the TDIs I'm looking at are around 30k miles and just had the fix done this year. So as an example to make sure I'm following this correctly...

2014 Passat TDI 52k, original service 2/14

emissions fix done 10/19 @ 52k miles

so the 10yr/120k mile warranty would be longer?

Also what mpg could I expect from a newer tdi cruising down I-95 at 80mph?

Last edited:

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Most of the TDIs I'm looking at are around 30k miles and just had the fix done this year. So as an example to make sure I'm following this correctly...

2014 Passat TDI 52k, original service 2/14

emissions fix done 10/19 @ 52k miles

so the 10yr/120k mile warranty would be longer?

Also what mpg could I expect from a newer tdi cruising down I-95 at 80mph?

I’m not sure on the warranty... but your mpg would be 30-34mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Sounds correct on the warranty: the 10yr/120k mile would be the longer one for that particular car.

As for FE and speed: it will depend whether this speed can be maintained for long stretches of time or whether you’ll be speeding up and down to get around slowpokes. My daily commute is 200 miles and I’m regularly running 80+ whenever possible. My average FE per tank ranges from 37-39 mpg.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Sounds correct on the warranty: the 10yr/120k mile would be the longer one for that particular car.

As for FE and speed: it will depend whether this speed can be maintained for long stretches of time or whether you’ll be speeding up and down to get around slowpokes. My daily commute is 200 miles and I’m regularly running 80+ whenever possible. My average FE per tank ranges from 37-39 mpg.
I feel for you having to drive that slow, hopefully you can get out somewhere and let it really rip

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
My '11 golf got about 38-39 mpg at 80 mph. That was pre fix mind you. It dropped off fairly precipitously over 80 mph, as most any vehicle does.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
So a gasser might be cheaper to run at this day and age as the TDI seems to have lost mpgs for whatever reason? RUG vs D is about a 60 cent per gallon premium on D.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Doubtful. And remember Oilhammer’s advice about steering clear of the newer 4cyl gassers.
For longevity, power, and economy in the long run nothing beats a diesel.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
“ The impact is not limited to diesel, but the ruling will also impact the availability and cost of home heating fuel, jet fuel and gasoline as refiners devote more attention to the low-sulphur bunker fuel market, says Daniel Yergin, IHS Market vice-chairman.”

In short, it won’t affect just diesel prices. It’s difficult to say how much and when we can expect to see the ramifications. Regardless, I plan to keep my fleet on diesel;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Fixed '15s seem to get significantly better FE than the fixed 09-14s. And 12-14 Passats seem to be have a lot of heater core failures. Some theorize the new emissions profiles are causing coolant to boil and block the heater cores. If I bought a '12-14 Passat I'd have it reflashed back to pre-fix condition, even if it does jeopardize the warranty.

Of the buyback cars available my favorite is the '15 Golf or Golf Sportwagen. I like the MK7 platform better than the earlier cars, including the MKVI Golfs. However, my MK7 tends to sit, as I still mostly drive my MKIV. And it's been on a lot of long trips. Works fine for me, and once you've gotten used to getting over 700 miles on a fill it's hard to give it up, especially on long drives.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
“ The impact is not limited to diesel, but the ruling will also impact the availability and cost of home heating fuel, jet fuel and gasoline as refiners devote more attention to the low-sulphur bunker fuel market, says Daniel Yergin, IHS Market vice-chairman.”

In short, it won’t affect just diesel prices. It’s difficult to say how much and when we can expect to see the ramifications. Regardless, I plan to keep my fleet on diesel;)
Who knows how it will pan out. But if you read further in the article it mentions the possibility of diesel prices doubling for a period and gasoline dropping 20 cents/gallon. Similar to how diesel prices spiked for 6 months or so following the introduction of ULSD.