www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old January 13th, 2020, 10:27   #76
Koehn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroke View Post
Really good information !

Of course I write if I find the 75X terminal.

We have so bad roads here in the Northern parts of Sweden so I don't want to have larger rims than 18"

Since I'm in Sweden VOLVO parts are easy to find.
Which model years of the Volvo can be used ?
Can the brake calipers from Volvo also be used ?
Hah yeah I hear you on the bad roads! I believe the 17Z or 1LE will fit under almost all 17" rims, but you'll have to be carefully about the offset as the face of the rotor can hit the inside of the spokes (requiring spacers).

That thread should have all the info you need, but I believe the rotors come from 2005-07 V70R. Those rotors are chosen because the hub size and thickness is the same and its a close rotor offset match.

I really doubt Volvo calipers would work as the caliper mounting ears have to match what is on the knuckle. The Touareg happens to match many other VAG cars very well
Koehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2020, 14:32   #77
Koehn

Default More Glow Plug Problems

Continuing my investigation from back in December, I ended up replacing all 4 glow plugs with the ALH plugs. The weather warmed up a bit, cold starts didn't seem exceptionally difficult, all was well... or so I thought.

This past week in Vancouver has had some exceptionally cold temperatures. Mornings were often -9 Celcius (that's cold for us! ). And boy did my car not want to start. I'd cycle the plugs 5 or 6 times, but I'd still have to crank for up to 10 seconds before the engine stumbled and finally caught. Ever since I've had the diesel up an running, the glow plug indicator on the cluster has only ever stayed illuminated for about half a second. It's never stayed on longer.

So that lead me to investigate more; I pulled the boot off and tested for any voltage coming through the harness, got nothing. So, I dug into the ECU box to check the relay. I found that the relay has constant power on pin 30 as expected. When the key is turned to the on position, power is also detected on pins 85 and 86. At first this threw me off because I though the ECU sent power to switch the relay, but it actually switches the ground. I pulled the relay and tested it on a battery and it functions fine. While in the car, I could never measure power at pin 87. The socket for pin 87 measured continuity to at least two of the glow plug leads so I don't think the harness is bad.

So the only conclusion I've made is that the ECU is not triggering the glow plugs to activate.

I just tested unplugging the Coolant Temp Sensor, the Fuel Temp Sensor and the MAF Sensor independently. The only one that seemingly made a difference was the Coolant Temp Sensor. Unplugging that one resulted in power to the glow plugs for about half a second. This was done on a fully warm engine, but from what I've read, unplugging that sensor should result in closer to 20 seconds of glow time, not half a second.

I did replace the Coolant Temp Sensor with the one off my AMB engine a few months ago, and the dash gauge works as expected so I'm not certain it's the actual issue here, but I'm willing to try.

Any suggestions? I've gotten about 12 pages into the "Glow plugs 101 ***Ver. 2.0***" thread and haven't found any solutions as of yet.
Old January 24th, 2020, 17:35   #78
QuickTD
Veteran Member

Does your glow plug light turn on the instant you turn on the key? The reason I ask is I'm wondering if your ECU has a constant battery connection or if all the B+ supplies are switched? If the ECU is not energized all the time it may be too slow to "wake up" and provide proper glow plug timing. Just a thought. I'll check the schematics to later. Mine definitely energizes the glow plugs and starts fine to below -10C.
QuickTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2020, 13:22   #79
Koehn

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTD View Post
Does your glow plug light turn on the instant you turn on the key? The reason I ask is I'm wondering if your ECU has a constant battery connection or if all the B+ supplies are switched? If the ECU is not energized all the time it may be too slow to "wake up" and provide proper glow plug timing. Just a thought. I'll check the schematics to later. Mine definitely energizes the glow plugs and starts fine to below -10C.
The glow plug light does come on immediately, just like all the other dash lights. But, it only lasts about a half second regardless of ambient or engine temperature. I'm fairly certain my ECU does have constant power, but I may have to check to verify that.

I can confirm switch circuit on the glow plug relay is also getting power the instant the key is turned, as expected. And the glow plug relay power circuit has constant 12V on one side of the relay, it's just never getting switched.

I purchased a replacement Coolant Temp Sensor, but I didn't realize it was going to be a delayed shipment, so it might be a while before it arrives. Temps warmed back up over here, so it's not too bad in the morning anymore. Hopefully that's all it takes to fix it!