control arm bushing??

rshelton

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI DSG, '09 Mercedes ML320 Bluetec
So I was rotating my tires today and noticed this:

Now, I'm not that good at suspension/steering stuff but I believe this is a control arm bushing that is all cracked up. This photo is drivers side but the passenger side looks the same way.

What does it take to replace these? How much do they run? Also, I had a person change lanes in to me a few months back, hit my front quarter panel/front wheel, could that have caused this?

Thanks!

Vegged-Out

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2003 Jetta | 2011 BMW 335d | 2016 BMW Xdrive35d
Once you get the parts, it is fairly easy to do, my first time out of the gate and it only took a few hours to get it done. Largest time killer for me was figuring out how to get the bolt from the front bushing on control arm for drivers side (I have an auto tranny).

rshelton

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI DSG, '09 Mercedes ML320 Bluetec
Vegged-Out said:
Once you get the parts, it is fairly easy to do, my first time out of the gate and it only took a few hours to get it done. Largest time killer for me was figuring out how to get the bolt from the front bushing on control arm for drivers side (I have an auto tranny).
hmmm, i have an auto tranny too. i read something about rotating the engine?!?! that seems like alot of work. how did you do it? I've never done any steering work

also: I'm at 85k miles, should I replace the ball joints down there, or leave them if they're fine?

Last edited:

Vegged-Out

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2003 Jetta | 2011 BMW 335d | 2016 BMW Xdrive35d
rshelton said:
hmmm, i have an auto tranny too. i read something about rotating the engine?!?! that seems like alot of work. how did you do it? I've never done any steering work

also: I'm at 85k miles, should I replace the ball joints down there, or leave them if they're fine?
Final solution was to drop the bolt from the sub frame and then front bushing bolt past right by the tranny.

NOTE:I dropped the tranny bolt a well, but it is highly not recommended by JasonTDI, so I probably wouldn't do it again that way; just the subframe bolt.

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Anthracite Golf IV, 13 miles and counting ;)
i noticed the same thing at 45000 miles. replaced the entire control arms under warranty.

what could be the cause of this? bad bushing, or something else?

nathan_b

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 alh jetta/ 2002 alh jetta
replaced my control arms with new oem vw/audi ones,

15k miles later bushing is torn, just put in r32 bushings and handles and rides good. They should last alot longer.