Video: Polar FIS Step-by-step Install - 2014 JSW TDI

aCab

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
Hey guys, just installed my Polar FIS the other day. There wasn't a lot of good info out there on the install specific to the JSW, so I decided I'd make a video for anyone interested. The steps should be the same for most MKV/VI cars. Some have the knee airbag like mine did. I also go over the basic functionality of the unit as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI0IKPY39hU

Slothy

TDI
Mk6 Golf TDI
This is awesome! I think I'll need to pick this up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
You confused EGT with EGR :p

Great video though :D

I personally mounted the polar fis + box to the top of my air duct wother zip ties. I didn't like the idea of mounting it to something that moved.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Do no think the bent pipe used to attach the PF03 to moves.

only thing I did was put a couple inches of pipe foam around the pipe, to be a bit of a cushion, then snugged up a couple tie wraps.

it really is a great tool if you want to watch parameters, know what healty looks like, and have insight into the details if/when the car changes.

it also is about the only way to see when a DPF regeneration is coming up.

mine fires right off within a couple miles of when the calculated soot,

!soot goes over 16.2grams.

the auto-polar web site has a spreadsheet with the specific sensor readings available, by the engine controller code in your car.

http://www.auto-polar.com/downloads/PF03/Engine_ECUs_supported.xlsm

I found it useful to format and print the single row with the codes available, and print it out to help plan the screens selected for display.

shane.short

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan 5spd, 2000 Jetta Sedan 5spd, 2011 JSW DSG(sold back to VW)
Awesome video! :) I was able to install this in my 2011 JSW with little disassembly(removed only the lower plastic cover the diagnostic connector is mounted in) but I'm sure different years vary. I mounted it to that metal plate right where the pipe bends with two zip ties routed through the backside. But as the saying goes, there's more than one way to skin a cat :p Great info for those looking to get this, thanks! :)

Last edited:

jpulls11

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDi
Did not know too much about this untill your vid. Makes me want to get one over the vent gauge vidi.

shane.short

Veteran Member
TDI
mine fires right off within a couple miles of when the calculated soot,
!soot goes over 16.2grams.
For what its worth my last regen started right after 18.9grams, and stopped at 3.3grams. Mileage @ 72k

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
For what its worth my last regen started right after 18.9grams, and stopped at 3.3grams. Mileage @ 72k
does it always do that?

there is a different engine controller, so is possible that the triggers are set at different points. ( I have noticed it will not start a regen if there is not much fuel in the tank.)

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
does it always do that?

there is a different engine controller, so is possible that the triggers are set at different points. ( I have noticed it will not start a regen if there is not much fuel in the tank.)
My car does the same. If the low fuel light is on it will not do a regen sl all.

shane.short

Veteran Member
TDI
does it always do that?

It's the first time I've monitored the !soot value for a regen...(your post peaked my interest) I installed the polar fis about a month ago.. will report on next regen and see if its consistent.. Also, will take notice of low fuel thing..

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
if you can see a field labeled DPF status, it might be informative, as will miles since regeneration and requested regens.

Purch

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6spd
My car only has the button on the wiper stock to control the MFD, not the steering wheel controls. Has anyone installed a Polar Fis in a car like mine? Does it have full functionality?

Butchered by autocorrect on my SG5 using Tapatalk

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
It's the first time I've monitored the !soot value for a regen...(your post peaked my interest) I installed the polar fis about a month ago.. will report on next regen and see if its consistent.. Also, will take notice of low fuel thing..
if you can see a field labeled DPF status, it might be informative, as will miles since regeneration and requested regens.
I've noticed that my car will start a regen as soon as req regen reaches "6" and will count down as the regeneration does its thing to "1" or "0". This has been the most consistent way I've seen for regens.

The soot count I've seen start at various levels.

My car only has the button on the wiper stock to control the MFD, not the steering wheel controls. Has anyone installed a Polar Fis in a car like mine? Does it have full functionality?

I beleive so long as you have a full MFD it should work. Here's a quote from a post I made in the big polar fis + thread:
What Kerma said /\

If you have a cluster that looks like this PolerFIS will NOT work:

It must have a Red or White MFD to work:

PolerFIS may also work with the color MFD?:

Purch

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6spd
Mine is a full sized MFD similar to the red one above except it's white but it doesn't have the advanced options like the 3rd pic. Looks like it should work.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Mine is a full sized MFD similar to the red one above except it's white but it doesn't have the advanced options like the 3rd pic. Looks like it should work.

Pic #3 can be accessed by going to the "settings" screen and selecting the "MFI Data" menu. I didn't know that was there until I had my car for a month or two :p

Basically, so long as you have the full LCD like the one on the bottom left of my quote, polarfis should work fine for you.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I only have the buttons on the end of the wiper stalk.

up/down, and enter (bottom of stalk that chooses between 1 and 2.

works fine, but there is a tad bit of button pushing.

worth a review of how the menu choices for the MFD work before playing with the PF03. (pressing the up or down button and holding for a couple seconds to get to the higher level, where setup can be found)

Purch

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6spd
Pic #3 can be accessed by going to the "settings" screen and selecting the "MFI Data" menu. I didn't know that was there until I had my car for a month or two :p

Basically, so long as you have the full LCD like the one on the bottom left of my quote, polarfis should work fine for you.
I'm pretty certain I don't have a settings option in my MFD, unless I'm missing something. I think those without steering wheel controls have a limited MFD.

Meerschm, thanks for the reply. Good to know it will work.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you really should try. there should be a setup menu.

pretty sure the first step in using the PF03 is to get to this level to choose between the polar fis menus and the mfd choices from VW. it is an either/or kind of thing.

my owners manual (for the 09) says to start with ignition key on, parking brake on to shut off the DRLs and save power

push the ok/reset (bottom of turn signal stalk) for five seconds, and see the fasten seatbelts.

then use the bottom button on the end of the stalk. press for five seconds or so, then you can scroll choices. get to setup, and press ok/enter again.

should then give you menu choices. (like 12/24 hour clock, km or mph, farenheigt or celsius.......there is also a speed warning setting, you can use to harrass a co-driver who may have a heavy foot.....)

Purch

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6spd
I tried the steps you've suggested and nothing happens when I hold the Ok/Reset button on the bottom of the stock. I tried a combination of the Ok + up/down the rocker button on the end and nothing. Just read through my manual...again and I still don't see anything. Certainly nothing about holding down the buttons for x seconds.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you cannot get up a menu level, likely a polar fis might not work.

have you tried just holding the up or down on the end of the stalk for five or ten seconds?

joodoo6

TDI
2014 jetta sportwagen
I just updated and installed mine and it didn't work not sure if I did the wrong update but very confused did everything step by step

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Did you use Polar updater 1.8.1? I think the actual update is 5.9b0. I have downloaded it but not installed yet. I last updated in November after getting the fix installed and at that time I initially had some sort of problem which caused the unit to not work. I had to reset and then re install the software after which it worked fine. I can’t remember how to reset it but the instructions are somewhere on the Polar site if I recall correctly. Or maybe I searched for Polar FIS problems and found someone else had already been advised by Polar what to do. Another option is to start a ticket with Polar, I’m pretty sure they will respond fairly quickly.

Let us know when you figure it out. I’m probably going to start looking for the solution again!