www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old July 13th, 2017, 06:15   #16
VwPassion
Veteran Member

.... and the facts ! I did measure my DPF today after regeneration ...

https://postimg.org/image/m44mhaqid/

After 63k+ km (40k~ miles ) my DPF load with a non-507 is 2.572 g with max the 70 g as it says there . That s 3.9% ash load using any other oil (5w-40 the most and now i use 0w-40) than 507 spec .
VwPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 07:47   #17
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Most of the 5w40 oils available here are low ash, and often carry other DPF-equipped diesel manufacturers specifications, so there is not likely to be any harm to the DPF anyway.

However, the main reason for the previous generations of VAG diesel's doing better with 5w40 vs. 5w30 is due to the high loads on the cams. The CR TDIs do not have that type of valvetrain, so there is probably nothing "gained" with a 5w40 on them but certainly nothing "hurt" I would not think.
Old July 13th, 2017, 08:14   #18
VwPassion
Veteran Member

Indeed , the valve train is totally different at pre-CR engines so the 505.01 is only way to survive a few more hundred miles the engine . However ,the 40 oil ( esp. nice synthetics blends ) help much more the longevity of a diesel than these "new-gen-high-tech-super-duper-OP-bla bla" 30 oils , or i should say ... 20?? Oh no wait there are ... 16 now !!
Old July 13th, 2017, 10:40   #19
James & Son
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by VwPassion View Post
Indeed , the valve train is totally different at pre-CR engines so the 505.01 is only way to survive a few more hundred miles the engine . However ,the 40 oil ( esp. nice synthetics blends ) help much more the longevity of a diesel than these "new-gen-high-tech-super-duper-OP-bla bla" 30 oils , or i should say ... 20?? Oh no wait there are ... 16 now !!
Writing bull**** don't count when it comes to learning. I learned that many years ago by observation.

As my public school principle who was a master of corporal punishment would say, quit acting like a jackass. When the parents would show up and ask how come you called my son a jackass, he would respond that he is not a jackass but was acting like one.
James & Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 12:11   #20
VwPassion
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James & Son View Post
Writing bull**** don't count when it comes to learning. I learned that many years ago by observation.

As my public school principle who was a master of corporal punishment would say, quit acting like a jackass. When the parents would show up and ask how come you called my son a jackass, he would respond that he is not a jackass but was acting like one.
I suppose you need an answer , so here you are....
"Writing bull**** don't count when it comes to learning. I learned that many years ago by observation.

As my public school principle who was a master of corporal punishment would say, quit acting like a jackass. When the parents would show up and ask how come you called my son a jackass, he would respond that he is not a jackass but was acting like one."
Old July 13th, 2017, 14:14   #21
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

The 507 spec is very much at the thick end of 30w oils. The only reason I don't use 507 any more is because I no longer need super low ash oil, and rotella and delo 5w40 are cheaper. The fact that they are both group III oils doesn't bother me one bit.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 14:57   #22
VwPassion
Veteran Member

507 spec is not needed at all from my view and experience on a tdi with dpf fitted . Not say that the VW and the manual are wrong . The spec itself is not working for engine health but for the emissions .Now according to manual : https://postimg.org/image/6iqpbaqb3/ ,for use 504/507 oil spec ,need and the correct quality of fuel ,EN 590 in our case for diesel (The quality of fuels can vary greatly between individual markets and this must be taken into account when selecting the correct engine oil.
The use of engine oils compliant with the VW 504 00 und VW 507 00 specifications requires a fuel quality compliant with EN 228 (petrol) and
EN 590 (diesel). Engine oils compliant with VW 504 00 und VW 507 00 are therefore unsuitable for use in a large number of markets.
). Wiki says that EN590 diesel should have 51 at least cetane number , 10 mg/kg sulfur and 0.01%(m/m) ash content .For winter diesel have some other specs too .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_590
In short, we must stop fooling ourselves with the "godsend" 507 spec...

Edit: if some didn't got it yet , no use of EN590 fuel is equal to no need of 507 spec , having or not a DPF fitted.....

Last edited by VwPassion; July 13th, 2017 at 15:00.
Old July 13th, 2017, 15:39   #23
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

So where are all the 507 related engine failures? I haven't heard of a single one.
Old July 13th, 2017, 15:53   #24
VwPassion
Veteran Member

In my country (Greece) are a ton of these failures .From pistons to "smokers" with 1l per 2k km oil consumption . If search some Greek forums (not only but i can speak only for what i do know for good, although I've saw other forums too) , you ll see a lot . Generally speaking , 507 spec it accelerate the possible failure and the worn of engine . This spec is for emissions only good and this is not my word ,i not have a lab . I do prefer to get a perfect full synthetic or ester oil w/o 507 spec , rather searching the 507 spec which is an "old" spec right now . If dealers told you that VW policy enforce at official services to get the "new" 0w-20 oil ,claiming that have backwards compatibility,will you use it ? If you going by the book and "obey" at manufacturer's "commands" ,you will use but with what price? The engine's health itself. Can you see my point now?
Old July 13th, 2017, 15:56   #25
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-48 mpg ave. Warm weather 38-42 cold weather. 35-38 extreme cold.

Quote:
In my country (Greece) Can you see my point now?
Well, You and your Greek buddies have seen failures that we have not seen here in North America using 507 spec oil in CR engines and I am not about to learn Greek or use Google translator to read your Greek forums. Also, my owner's manual does not tell me to use 0W20 oil if it did I probably would. As we say here in the States "It's all Greek to me" so NO! I do not see your point now.

Last edited by MichaelB; July 13th, 2017 at 16:40.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 17:03   #26
VwPassion
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Well, You and your Greek buddies have seen failures that we have not seen here in North America using 507 spec oil in CR engines and I am not about to learn Greek or use Google translator to read your Greek forums. Also, my owner's manual does not tell me to use 0W20 oil if it did I probably would. As we say here in the States "It's all Greek to me" so NO! I do not see your point now.
A) Not seen is not equal to not exist .
B) 507 it does accelerate worn of engine even w/o catastrophic failure,its for emissions spec and not for longevity .
C)The older manuals didn't say anything for 507 spec but dealers did enforced it so long,threatening people with 505/505.01 that guarantee will cease , and claiming backwards compatibility which is not actually exist .
That was a fast Greek lesson . You are welcome.
Old July 13th, 2017, 17:13   #27
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

There must be a lot of crap fuel in Greece if 507 oils are causing problems. If people aren't using ultra low sulfur diesel, then I could see problems occurring.
Old July 13th, 2017, 17:28   #28
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-48 mpg ave. Warm weather 38-42 cold weather. 35-38 extreme cold.

Quote:
A) Not seen is not equal to not exist .
B) 507 it does accelerate worn of engine even w/o catastrophic failure,its for emissions spec and not for longevity .
C)The older manuals didn't say anything for 507 spec but dealers did enforced it so long,threatening people with 505/505.01 that guarantee will cease , and claiming backwards compatibility which is not actually exist .
That was a fast Greek lesson . You are welcome.
We are not talking about the older VW TDI's i.e ALH or PD etc. we are talking about 2009+ CR engines spect for 507.00 and we do not see premature wear or failure. Forget about backwards compatable and you are talking about dealers in Greece? I rest my case you just ain't gettin it! And you are still talking Greek to me, your lesson was poor as you are a poor teacher.
Old July 13th, 2017, 18:10   #29
VwPassion
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We are not talking about the older VW TDI's i.e ALH or PD etc. we are talking about 2009+ CR engines spect for 507.00 and we do not see premature wear or failure. Forget about backwards compatable and you are talking about dealers in Greece? I rest my case you just ain't gettin it! And you are still talking Greek to me, your lesson was poor as you are a poor teacher.
Again the "not see" is not equal to "not exist" ,not like repeat myself .I do talk for '09+ CR engines too , the 507 spec is mainly for these engines although the dealers ( not only from Greece,i can have examples from India forums,Australian forums etc etc) "want" to use it backwards . And yes, i do talking Greek for you but that doesn't mean that the teacher is poor at his effort ,it means that the student ears always listen Greek around ...
Old July 13th, 2017, 18:24   #30
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Again the "not see" is not equal to "not exist" ,not like repeat myself .I do talk for '09+ CR engines too , the 507 spec is mainly for these engines although the dealers ( not only from Greece,i can have examples from India forums,Australian forums etc etc) "want" to use it backwards . And yes, i do talking Greek for you but that doesn't mean that the teacher is poor at his effort ,it means that the student ears always listen Greek around ...
Here is what you do not see, no one here said to or want to use it backward and that is what you fail to see. Stop with the Greek, Indians, and Australians that want to. I also heard everything you said. I listen well you obviously don't. 507.00 works extremely well within the engines that were spect for it. Nobody said anything to the contriary or even suggested that it be used in pre CR engines..

Last edited by MichaelB; July 13th, 2017 at 18:32.