www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old July 11th, 2017, 14:08   #1
sloinker

Default Group V esther base synthetic oil.

I have been doing some research and it seems that Redline is the only manufacturer of a group V synthetic in 5W-30 with a 504.00-507.00 classification. Are there any other manufacturers that use a group V base other than Redline for retail users? I can't find any. Amsoil and Some Mobil 1's are group lV's with esther additives and most the rest are hydrocracked group lll's with additives. I am going to use the Redline on my 15 TDI's I just bought unless someone has a reason not to.

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=142&pcid=21

https://www.redlineoil.com/content/f...PDS%205-13.pdf

Last edited by sloinker; July 11th, 2017 at 15:08.
sloinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 15:49   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

It says recommended for and suitable not that it actually has the rating.
Old July 11th, 2017, 19:32   #3
sloinker

You're right. Sneaky. I emailed them and asked about specific VW approval.
Old July 11th, 2017, 19:44   #4
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-48 mpg ave. Warm weather 38-42 cold weather. 35-38 extreme cold.

Why do you think Redline Group V Ester based oils will perform better in your new car than PAO's or group III hydrocracked oil?
Do you have any documentation that says anything to the effect that VW approved 507.00 oils have lead to premature engine wear or failure and that a Group V ester is the cat's ass for engine wear and longevity? Just Redline propaganda? I'm sure it will perform well but is it better? Red colored boutique oil.

Last edited by MichaelB; July 11th, 2017 at 21:59.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 23:17   #5
sloinker

I have been in and around racing all my life. Every engine builder I know uses either Redline, Penn or Mobil 1 after break in. I have read about the properties of Esters versus PAO's and they intrigue me. Why should you care if I'm willing to spend 50% more for oil?
Old July 12th, 2017, 03:19   #6
VwPassion
Veteran Member

Excellent C3 oil and perfect noack but the price in my country is .... ugh !

http://www.trade-wind.gr/car/lubrica...4-pcid-21.html

Last edited by VwPassion; July 12th, 2017 at 03:52.
VwPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2017, 05:03   #7
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Man what will we do here with no more new diesels being sold and thus no more new spec changes in oil? LOL. Good thing we have an almost endless appetite for oil discussions.
Old July 12th, 2017, 13:09   #8
sloinker

I heard back from Red Line. Recommended but not approved. Think I will stick with the factory fill or possibly the M1. I may try the Red Line 5W-20 in the wife's Dodge minivan that has used the MS-6395 spec dino oil since new. See if I see/feel any changes and move the drain interval to when the computer on the van says to change it. I have been doing it every 5k and the reminder hasn't come on once. 5K IMO is long enough on a group ll oil for me.
Didn't mean to start a pissing match. Just wanted some feedback Red Line oils performance in a passenger car in the real world.
Old July 12th, 2017, 13:38   #9
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Oil topics generally lead to lots of discussion. There are many here already.
Old July 12th, 2017, 14:06   #10
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-48 mpg ave. Warm weather 38-42 cold weather. 35-38 extreme cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloinker View Post
I may try the Red Line 5W-20 in the wife's Dodge minivan that has used the MS-6395 spec dino oil since new. See if I see/feel any changes and move the drain interval to when the computer on the van says to change it.world.
Forgive me for my input but I don't think you will"see/feel" anything and there are far less expensive high quality oils to extend your OCI. M1 for example.

Last edited by MichaelB; July 12th, 2017 at 15:14.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2017, 15:40   #11
New Mickey
The user formerly known as mickey

TDI(s): 2015 Passat

Not sure what base stocks Amsoil uses in their European Car Forumla, but I do know that it is specifically APPROVED BY VOLKSWAGEN for applications requiring 507.00.

-mickey

Last edited by New Mickey; July 12th, 2017 at 15:48.
New Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2017, 15:47   #12
New Mickey

ALL motor oils, regardless of manufacturer, will list a few "approvals" and a lot of "meets or exceeds the requirements of." That is standard. Nobody goes to every car manufacturer and gets "approval" for ever application.

However, no manufacturer requires oils that have their "approval." The oil only has to meet their requirements. The law (in the U.S.) backs that up.

I think it's idiotic to argue about "approval" vs. "we say so", but the performance of base stocks is another matter.

Does VW 507.00 require Group V base stocks? Not to my knowledge. Your owner's manual says "synthetic", and that's a very nebulous term.

Bottom line: If it says 507.00 "approved" or "meets the requirements of 507.00" it's the right choice. Stop worrying about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. NO OIL MANUFACTURER IS GOING TO LIE TO YOU. They have no reason to do so, and the potential downside is enormous.

In the case of 507.00 we're talking about protecting emissions related equipment....in VOLKSWAGEN DIESELS, no less. Can you imagine any oil manufacturer daring to lie about THAT standard? In this political climate? It's not surprising at all that Amsoil sought, and obtained, specific VW APPROVAL for an oil to use in Common Rail TDIs. Nobody, but NOBODY is going risk getting pulled into that swamp. They're going to cover their a$$es and put the ball in VW's court.

If it says 507.00 it's good. Absolutely.

-mickey
Old July 12th, 2017, 16:24   #13
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Read post number 8. He contacted the company and they said it is not approved for 507. Everyone can make their own choices but VW wants you to use an approved 507 oil. Very little to nothing to be gained from using this oil over a real 507 approved oil at $8 vs $13.
Old July 12th, 2017, 16:32   #14
New Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Read post number 8. He contacted the company and they said it is not approved for 507. Everyone can make their own choices but VW wants you to use an approved 507 oil. Very little to nothing to be gained from using this oil over a real 507 approved oil at $8 vs $13.
If it meets the requirements of 507.00 then it's fine. In the U.S. at least. The Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act says so. If VW were to require VW oil then VW would have to provide it free of charge for the life of the warranty.

VW does NOT require "approved" oil. They "recommend" it. Obviously. Why wouldn't they?

Use Amsoil if you're worried about it, but Redline is just fine and dandy. Won't affect your warranty and won't harm your emissions equipment.

Of course, if you de-smog your CR TDI then 507.00 no longer applies. The stuff it's supposed to protect is no longer there. Right? 507.00 doesn't have more "stuff" in it. It has LESS "stuff" added, in order to protect the emissions equipment. So what does that "stuff" do? Is it actually lesser oil, in terms of protecting your engine? I don't know, but it's worth asking. So if you have gotten rid of the offending smog bits is 507.00 really the best choice?

I just mention that so I can eat popcorn and watch the argument. I'm going to use European Car Formula as long I own the car, even if the smoggy bits do happen to fall out somewhere for some mysterious reason......

-mickey
Old July 12th, 2017, 23:05   #15
VwPassion
Veteran Member

Meet : Just covers exactly the min. req. ... Nothing more . 5 out of 10 , literally base grade .

Exceed: Passes the test but we not know how easy . 6+ out of 10 .
How much + , unknown .

Recommended : This is what manufacturers offer . Easy choice and properly pass the tests .7+ out of 10 . How much + , unknown .

Approved :The sneaky one . Approved can be the 5/10 or the 10/10 . Our choice what we ll use if not going by the book .

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...37#post5296837

(#33 post) For persons that worry too much .

I have tdi with dpf and NOT using 507 . 505/505.01 is way better for protect engine so the 30s oils are outta question for me. 40s all the way up...
VwPassion is offline   Reply With Quote