www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old July 8th, 2017, 17:52   #1
FXDL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.4 per 100KM's
Default Liqui-Moly 4200 5W30

Is the Liqui-Moly a true synthetic.? What group is it? Seems no one knows or is there someone who does?
FXDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 17:55   #2
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

It's a good oil. Probably some group III in there, but that doesn't really matter for our purposes.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2017, 01:08   #3
VwPassion

According to this , is not a full synthetic , at least as i do understand it .
Open at
safety data sheets & product information

and go to

product information

and you'll see the specs . Only bad as i see is the TBN which is only 6,5 . Low TBN for my taste ....

Edit : "...The combination of unconventional
base oils using HC synthetic technology, together with
the latest additives, ..."

Last edited by VwPassion; July 9th, 2017 at 01:12.
VwPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2017, 03:37   #4
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I used to obsess over finding oils that were full synthetic, but since the 505.01 spec they seem to be less common, not more. I wonder if any 507.00 oils have all synthetic base stock.
Old July 9th, 2017, 04:51   #5
VwPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
..... I wonder if any 507.00 oils have all synthetic base stock.
Nope ,i didn't find any 507 spec that is pure synthetic so long but can't say for sure that is not exist .My opinion is stay away from any 507+ spec ,i not use it at my car even is a '13 tdi with DPF and i am very happy with that . Newer specs are only for fuel consumption because are thinner and obviously this help . BUT this is not help engine health . At my case i prefer change a DPF earlier , at 200k km for ex. than having engine issues . A DPF costs like 1-2k for me , and engine costs double+ money w/o count the oil "normal" consumption due to thinner oils . No thanks, i "don't buy " it...
Old July 9th, 2017, 06:02   #6
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

There are more productive things to do with one's time than obsess over motor oil. Any of the 507 oils are perfectly satisfactory . The worlds highest mileage car (volvo p1800) hasn't seen a drop of "pure synthetic" afaik, and is still motoring along.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2017, 08:54   #7
VwPassion

http://nypost.com/2016/02/28/this-gu...-slowing-down/
Over 3M miles that volvo .....
"..Owner: Will you start as usual one more time?..No drama?
..Volvo: Wanna bet..?
..Owner:...."
Anyways,i noticed that even the oils are much better w/o doubt now-days than back then when volvo is produced ,he still change oils at 3.5k miles no matter what...
Old July 10th, 2017, 18:03   #8
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VwPassion View Post
<snip>
Anyways,i noticed that even the oils are much better w/o doubt now-days than back then when volvo is produced ,he still change oils at 3.5k miles no matter what...
He says he follows the manual, and on a 1966 car, the manual probably said that. My 1967 Opel Kadett said 3K, and that's what I did. This says nothing about the quality of engine manufacture and lubricants 50 years later. The manual for our 2013 Passat TDI says 10K changes and that's what I do. And UOAs (Used Oil Analysis, the only objective measure of what the oil is doing in a car), both in this forum and on BITOG (Bob Is the Oil Guy) say that the oil is still doing its job after that many miles.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 19:00   #9
Dannyboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2014- 1168km per tank

Quote:
http://nypost.com/2016/02/28/this-gu...-slowing-down/
Over 3M miles that volvo .....
"..Owner: Will you start as usual one more time?..No drama?
..Volvo: Wanna bet..?
..Owner:...."
I've worked on two Volvos (semi) owned by two brothers which have 3.7 and 3.5 million on the units. Neither one has had any internal work.they had 3 turbos , 2 injectors and other wearable parts.

Every single service was with the manufacturer recommended oil. No additives or hocus pocus oil. Changed like clockwork.they are probably in 4-4.5 million range now,since I don't work at Volvo anymore i dont know. My work buddy says they still come in. 50k between oil changes on syntheic blend Delco 400. 2015 onwards models got 10w30. Why? Engine liner bores machined differently and allowed decreased piston to wall clearance creating tighter seal. No need for thick oil.ive seen 2 in the 2 million range already.they only stop truck for fuel and service
Would I use this good oil in my tdi? No.

Use the oil intended for the engine. Recommendation is there for a reason.
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 23:42   #10
VwPassion

Indeed, recommendations are for a reason and for sure manual knows what it says ,but this is valid only when oils are similar quality (then-oil and now-oil) . The package of oil back then have nothing to do with the "same" oil today .That s the reason that oils back then can t compete at mileage the today oils .Never saw an '60s car to keep at its youth 20k miles oil because the oil itself couldn't last that much at '60s .
That means two things in my mind :
A) He not know what is doing by changing at 3.5k an oil that can last 10k miles (not even close the package of additives in the oil that manufacturer recommend back then when car was made versus the oil today ).
B) He knows exactly what is he doing ...
I agree for there is no need for hocus pocus oils in a car . Maybe (a careful "maybe") occasionally need to clean motor from inside but not at every oil change of course .
Old July 14th, 2017, 21:18   #11
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-48 mpg ave. Warm weather 38-42 cold weather. 35-38 extreme cold.

Quote:
Nope ,i didn't find any 507 spec that is pure synthetic so long but can't say for sure that is not exist .My opinion is stay away from any 507+ spec ,i not use it at my car even is a '13 tdi with DPF and i am very happy with that . Newer specs are only for fuel consumption because are thinner and obviously this help . BUT this is not help engine health . At my case i prefer change a DPF earlier , at 200k km for ex. than having engine issues . A DPF costs like 1-2k for me , and engine costs double+ money w/o count the oil "normal" consumption due to thinner oils . No thanks, i "don't buy " it...
I have been using this oil. The manufacturer claims full sythetic made in Germany
http://www.ravenol.de/en/products/us...sae-5w-30.html

Last edited by MichaelB; July 14th, 2017 at 21:21.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2017, 21:24   #12
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
According to this , is not a full synthetic , at least as i do understand it .
Open at
safety data sheets & product information

and go to

product information

and you'll see the specs . Only bad as i see is the TBN which is only 6,5 . Low TBN for my taste ....

Edit : "...The combination of unconventional
base oils using HC synthetic technology, together with
the latest additives, ..."
TBN of only 6.5 is typical of 504/507 oils. It will be difficult to find, if they even make it, a 504/507 oil that has the TBN of a 502/505 oil
Old July 14th, 2017, 23:25   #13
VwPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I have been using this oil. The manufacturer claims full sythetic made in Germany
http://www.ravenol.de/en/products/us...sae-5w-30.html
According to that site it have mineral oils in ...

https://elit-oil.io.ua/s944902/dokumentaciya_-_msds

Just scroll little down and you ll see the msds as pdf . Go to section 3.2 Mixtures .....
" The base oil/mineral oil has a value of less than 3% DMSO .. etc etc " .Not full synthetic base oil as it claims as i see .
Old July 14th, 2017, 23:29   #14
VwPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20IndigoBlue02 View Post
TBN of only 6.5 is typical of 504/507 oils. It will be difficult to find, if they even make it, a 504/507 oil that has the TBN of a 502/505 oil
That's why i am against 507 spec ,is not helping engine and i am (among others too.. ) live example that dpf is not destroyed with use of a non-507 oil....