www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old July 4th, 2017, 14:43   #16
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-48 mpg ave. Warm weather 38-42 cold weather. 35-38 extreme cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
It's all fine and dandy to throw around that the filter is only $ 19.00 each.
That may be in the U S of A but not in Canada. A Mahle filter which I just installed today was Cdn $ 60.00 !
I'm just curious as I have no dog in this fight. Outsde of the fact that K&N filters don't work as good as a paper filter. What is the K&N cost Cdn?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2017, 16:36   #17
Rembrant
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I'm just curious as I have no dog in this fight. Outsde of the fact that K&N filters don't work as good as a paper filter. What is the K&N cost Cdn?
K&N Filters in Canada are usually between $70-$80 bucks...plus tax, which in my case is 15%. These days, our price differences are usually pretty close to the US/CDN exchange rate. Not always, but often enough.

I'm having a hard time with buying a $60 paper air filter though. Does the 15 Passat have some special kind of filter requirements? Is it an odd shaped unit? (Edit...I just Googled quickly, and it looks like a Mk5 TDI filter...which can be had for $15 all day long in Canada, even cheaper if you want white box auto parts store stuff).

2003 Black Golf TDI 5spd. DLC520's & Vented.
2006 White Jetta BRM TDI 5spd w/Black Leather.
2011 Black Lexus IS250 AWD. My wife's, the high roller.
Rembrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2017, 17:49   #18
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-48 mpg ave. Warm weather 38-42 cold weather. 35-38 extreme cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
K&N Filters in Canada are usually between $70-$80 bucks...plus tax, which in my case is 15%. These days, our price differences are usually pretty close to the US/CDN exchange rate. Not always, but often enough.

I'm having a hard time with buying a $60 paper air filter though. Does the 15 Passat have some special kind of filter requirements? Is it an odd shaped unit? (Edit...I just Googled quickly, and it looks like a Mk5 TDI filter...which can be had for $15 all day long in Canada, even cheaper if you want white box auto parts store stuff).
That is why I asked. Where did he buy this $60.00 filter from? If a paper filter is 60 bucks how much is a K&N? That is outrageous, exchange rate or not.

Last edited by MichaelB; July 4th, 2017 at 17:52.
Old July 5th, 2017, 06:46   #19
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

Even though I live in a very large city the availability for some parts is not that easy. I would not buy a filter at Walmart, and the stealer prices are outrageous. Example $ 20.00 for 1.89 liter of DEF fluid which I can get in bulk at a truck stop for far less.

I bought a cabin filter which came to $ 23.00, a K+N is $66.00 but you do not throw it away.

Relax and don't get your knickers all in a twist, it seems that K+N does NOT make a fuel filter !!!!!! I will try to buy 1 or 2 on my way through the USA, if maybe Auto zone or someone like that carries them.

My usual route takes me via Detroit I-57, Cinci I-71, Nashville I-65, Little Rock I-40, Dallas I-35, Austin, San Antonio to Laredo. So if someone lets me know where I can pick up a fuel filter along my way I'll do so. That is not going way off my route.

Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 07:50   #20
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
(Edit...I just Googled quickly, and it looks like a Mk5 TDI filter...which can be had for $15 all day long in Canada, even cheaper if you want white box auto parts store stuff).
Wish that you would tell me where you buy a fuel filter in Canada for that price. I have no trouble GOOGLING for anything, but this has not come up in my searches. I may be wrong but there is no special filter for the 2015, though where I bought mine they had one at 16cm (6.3inch) long, which is mine. The other was shorter.
I just did a one hour search and the only one I found was at Auto Zone at US$ 35.99 plus shipping, plus exchange rate! eBay had some for Tuareg but the fitment says it would not fit even though it looked like my original.

Also found a website where they said that a typical fuel filter change is between US$ 93.00 and $ 110.00 for part and labor, That's ridiculous, it took me 15 minutes to change mine and the engine started right away since I followed a Youtube instruction to the letter..

BTW: I just received my K+N cabin filter. I am impressed in the quality of the unit. A much more solid filter and NO paper.

Old July 7th, 2017, 08:43   #21
740GLE
Veteran Member

What filters are you guys talking about? engine, cabin or fuel?

Rembrant was prob questioning where you were buying engine air filters for $60.

Fuel filters are different beast as the 2015 is different than a Mk5. Paying a dealer $60 for a fuel filter doesn't sounds that bad once exchange rate is taken into account.

As a refrence of price I always check Idparts as they keep a good track of what VW OWE part number matches filter manufacture part number.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 09:23   #22
Rembrant
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
What filters are you guys talking about? engine, cabin or fuel?

Rembrant was prob questioning where you were buying engine air filters for $60.
Yes, sorry...I was replying to MichaelB at the time, who I thought was replying to another guy about air filters...

I know the original post was about fuel filters, but ALL of the other filters seemed to get thrown in the mix too...

My bad OP, sorry.

PS: In Canada, check filter prices with Roseland. That's where I get my filters.

Old July 8th, 2017, 09:00   #23
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:

As a refrence of price I always check Idparts as they keep a good track of what VW OWE part number matches filter manufacture part number.
https://www.idparts.com/fuel-filter-...fi-p-6297.html
Old July 8th, 2017, 14:48   #24
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
Fuel filters are different beast as the 2015 is different than a Mk5. Paying a dealer $60 for a fuel filter doesn't sounds that bad once exchange rate is taken into account.

This fuel filter I bought was NOT from a dealer, I'd be afraid to ask their price.

I checked the Idparts and my fuel filter there, without knowing their shipping cost would be about $ 40.00 some odd Beaver bucks. There is the US price, duty of 12% charged plus shipping, plus exchange rate.

According to their fitment list the 2015 and up is a different fuel filter from previous TDI's.

Last edited by Jetta_Pilot; July 8th, 2017 at 14:50.
Old July 8th, 2017, 18:45   #25
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
This fuel filter I bought was NOT from a dealer, I'd be afraid to ask their price.

I checked the Idparts and my fuel filter there, without knowing their shipping cost would be about $ 40.00 some odd Beaver bucks. There is the US price, duty of 12% charged plus shipping, plus exchange rate.

According to their fitment list the 2015 and up is a different fuel filter from previous TDI's.
+

Well, it looks like your screwed, so much for living in Canada. I guess K&N be the man and sell inferior products even though they don't make a fuel filter for your car. While on your journey through the US stop in at any dealer and save yourself some bucks.
Best Regards,
MichaelB

Last edited by MichaelB; July 8th, 2017 at 20:55.
Old July 9th, 2017, 11:40   #26
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
PS: In Canada, check filter prices with Roseland. That's where I get my filters.
Just checked the Roseland website. Seems he stops at MK6, no B7 (NMS).
No fuel filters.

Old July 9th, 2017, 11:57   #27
New Mickey
The user formerly known as mickey

TDI(s): 2015 Passat

A bit heavy on the hyperbole here. No cabin filter is going to "save your lungs" unless you live in your car all the time like the Bubble Boy. It just keeps the interior of the car from getting as dusty.

The theory behind a K&N type air filter is that the air swirls around as it passes through the mesh and particles are forced into the oiled cotton, where they stick. It works, to some extent, but the air going through your cabin filter is pretty low velocity.

Race cars use K&N type filters (or no filters at all) because they get rebuilt all the time anyway.

VW designed a very nice "cold air intake" for you. It works. Don't screw with it.

-mickey
New Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 05:09   #28
Rembrant
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just checked the Roseland website. Seems he stops at MK6, no B7 (NMS).
No fuel filters.
Yeah, the website is just new a few months ago so they may not have everything on there yet. I'd email or call and ask them.

Old July 10th, 2017, 08:21   #29
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:

type in the OEM part number in amazon and roll the dice?

https://www.amazon.com/Fuel-Filter-5.../dp/B01GINIGE4
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 13:50   #30
crazyrunner33
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '10 Golf

I don't know why all the hate is out there for the K&N. Back in the day when I bought my truck it came with a K&N, the pistons and rings looked totally fine at 200k miles. Plus, it only had a mild coating of dust in the intake. Saved at least 150 bucks in air filters and the guy before me said there was at least a 20 hp increase, can't argue with those results.