www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old June 30th, 2017, 12:56   #1
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018
Default K+N 2015 Passsat TDI Fuel filter

I've been googling for a K+N fuel filter. has anyone heard of or seen one?

Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2017, 13:01   #2
Owain@malonetuning

A K&N isn't going to do anything other than filter what's going into your motor worse. If it resulted in more power, the MAF values would be skewed, which are used to calculate many aspects of the motor including emissions controls. Companies have pulled their "cold air filters" off the market for these platforms because they've had so many problems with DPF failures. It would be best to use nothing but OEM components on this car if you want it to be reliable, the only worthwhile gains are from software, turbo upgrades, or exhaust modifications.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Last edited by Owain@malonetuning; July 4th, 2017 at 18:16.
Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2017, 13:03   #3
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Seriously? If you find one, don't buy it. K&N filters are sort of known for their lack of filtration. What you really want is a spin on cimtek fuel filter.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2017, 15:51   #4
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Alright I'll skip the search for a K+N fuel filter.

Reason I was looking, I bought a K+N washable cabin filter and also a cleanable K+N engine filter. Have read good reports on those.

Old June 30th, 2017, 17:51   #5
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-48 mpg ave. Warm weather 38-42 cold weather. 35-38 extreme cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
Alright I'll skip the search for a K+N fuel filter.

Reason I was looking, I bought a K+N washable cabin filter and also a cleanable K+N engine filter. Have read good reports on those.
Reread the above post from an engine tuner. And ditch the air filter you read good reports about. K&N is a joke it's only benefit is to lighten your wallet. " A K&N isn't going to do anything other than filter the air going into your motor worse."
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2017, 18:01   #6
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Even in GTI world, people are finding that the stock intake is not a chokepoint up to around 350 hp and the stock paper filter flows just fine and filters great. Intakes and hi-flow filters are regarded as a cosmetic or auditory mod more than anything on the Mk7. Some gullible people are spending upwards of $500 for carbon fiber bling intakes and $60+ for porous filters for negligible power gains. The intake only really starts to matter at the big-turbo level or possibly with a really aggressive stage two tune.

2016 GTI S 6M with Performance and Lighting Packages and a few mods
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2017, 22:04   #7
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50+ in mixed driving

OP is talking about a K&N FUEL filter here, not air filter (though it looks like they're running one anyway). I'd doubt they carry one...but if you're looking for an upgrade, absolutely look into a 1 or 2 micron filter. User 2micron would be the one to ask if looking to go that route. A 1 micron filter that can go 100k miles between changes made a lot of sense to me.

adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2017, 15:40   #8
Owain@malonetuning

Whoops, didn't even know K&N made fuel filters I'd definitely install a 2micro kit for the sake of potentially saving return lines/lift pump etc in the case of pump failure.

But yeah, as above has said, the filter business is kind of a sham. Have tested several intakes, run motors without filters, installed cones and lifted them up into the air with a 1HP blower motor on them, and shy of doing that nothing has resulted in a worthwhile gain. Inlet velocity distribution is carefully measured by manufacturers for maf placement etc so they spend A LOT of time on the little details with that stuff. Only to have people rip the part off for an ebay filter

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2017, 17:37   #9
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain@malonetuning View Post
Whoops, didn't even know K&N made fuel filters I'd definitely install a 2micro kit for the sake of potentially saving return lines/lift pump etc in the case of pump failure.
But yeah, as above has said, the filter business is kind of a sham. Have tested several intakes, run motors without filters, installed cones and lifted them up into the air with a 1HP blower motor on them, and shy of doing that nothing has resulted in a worthwhile gain. Inlet velocity distribution is carefully measured by manufacturers for maf placement etc so they spend A LOT of time on the little details with that stuff. Only to have people rip the part off for an ebay filter
I am not looking for any HP gain but want to be able to have a permanent engine air filter and fuel filter which only needs to be cleaned as per instructions. I spend almost 6 months in Mexico every winter and the local (50miles away) VW dealer may or may not have those filters. A friend 2-3 years desperately needed DEF fluid, it had to be special ordered (2 weeks).
I carry 2 gallons from a US truck stop with me.

A couple of days ago I changed the cabin filter and it was not dirty at all. I put a new one in though. Banged the used one against a wall and very little fell out other than some dried up small tree leaves. The K+N cabin filter and engine air filter you take it out wash it and treat it with a chemical kit from K+N and you're good to go. The cost of 2-3 filters pays for the K+N filter.

Old July 1st, 2017, 21:30   #10
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50+ in mixed driving

The EA288 engine air filter interval is 60k miles. That K & N sounds like a hassle (remove and clean, let dry) for not much in savings and potential MAF issues down the road. The $45-$55 for the K&N would have gotten you two OEM filters ($19/ea) that would take you to 180k miles.

The fuel filter I pictured above not only filters much better, but has 100k mile intervals, and is spin-on so keep a spare in the trunk if you need to...they're $13 if I recall (OE VW filter is $38 btw) which is dirt cheap for a fuel filter that will filter better AND last a very long time.

adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 07:24   #11
pdq import repair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5

At a Bosch service school one time on the subject of MAF failure and K&N filters the instructor calmly stated "K&N stands for Kill it Now".

Cabin filter should be fine as only your lungs are affected.
pdq import repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 07:50   #12
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Oh, the mind boggles.

K & N engine air filter= greater air flow (maybe), filtering quality compromised, premature engine failure.

K & N engine OIL filter= greater oil flow, filtering quality compromised, premature engine failure.

K & N cabin filter = greater air flow, filtering quality compromised = premature lung failure.

Perfect planned obsolescence! 1970s GM engineers would be proud!
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 07:24   #13
740GLE
Veteran Member

Common now, don't pretend VW isn't on the planned obsolescence band wagon now. 150K and that's is.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 11:18   #14
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

740GLE: Of course, you're right.

K & N oil filter just makes me laugh, though.
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 13:51   #15
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjat84th View Post
The EA288 engine air filter interval is 60k miles. That K & N sounds like a hassle (remove and clean, let dry) for not much in savings and potential MAF issues down the road. The $45-$55 for the K&N would have gotten you two OEM filters ($19/ea) that would take you to 180k miles.
The fuel filter I pictured above not only filters much better, but has 100k mile intervals, and is spin-on so keep a spare in the trunk if you need to...they're $13 if I recall (OE VW filter is $38 btw) which is dirt cheap for a fuel filter that will filter better AND last a very long time.
It's all fine and dandy to throw around that the filter is only $ 19.00 each.
That may be in the U S of A but not in Canada. A Mahle filter which I just installed today was Cdn $ 60.00 !

BTW: The filter I took out was clean as a whistle, there was NO crud in the bottom of the filter housing either and that is after spending 5 1/2 months last winter in Mexico and getting the least expensive Diesel fuel at home.

Last edited by Jetta_Pilot; July 3rd, 2017 at 13:55.