www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old January 19th, 2017, 09:18   #1
stephchase

TDI(s): 2013 Jetta
Default 13 Jetta TDI - High Pressure Fuel Pump

It appears this was an issue in older models up to 2012. I am being faced with repairing the high pressure pump, injectors and cleaning out the fuel tank. $$$$ I am also still waiting on Volkswagen buy back since October. Had that happened quicker I wouldn't be faced with this costly repair. I am fighting hard to get them to step up on this repair and no luck yet.
Anyone have this issue??
stephchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 10:23   #2
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Yes, the factory hpfp is a weak link in the design. If you can't get VW to step up to the plate, I have a good used hpfp that I would let you have for the cost of shipping. I upgraded to the cp3 hpfp, so have no need for the factory pump.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 13:00   #3
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

just curious.. how many miles on your 2013??.. Thanx.. the 2009-2012 (i believe) have an extended warranty for 120,000 miles for the pump...not the 2013 and later..
forrest resto`s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 17:50   #4
stephchase

TDI(s): 2013 Jetta

I have 83k miles. Volkswagen said that if they decide to do a recall I can save my receipt and make a claim.
stephchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 17:57   #5
maddog468

TDI(s): 2011 6mt

I have 2011 tdi with about 110k miles and I believe a HPFP issue. Random surges and stalls. Never been to vw to ask them about buying the car, because I wanted to keep it.

I am the second owner of the car and the misfueling guard kit was never installed by the dealer. Until today I did not even realize that the kit even existed or big problems with the HPFP. I did trim the plastic guards inside the filler neck. I think if I installed the misfueling guard it would hide what I have done.

So I have the same questions,

Go on eBay and buy the misfueling guard kit and take it to the dealer to see if they will warranty the HPFP.

Drive the jetta to dealer and trade it in?

or

Replace the HPFP or mod the jetta for the CP3 fuel pump kit on my own dime. Whats the going rate to do this? Does modifying the pump give up any recall rights?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by maddog468; January 19th, 2017 at 18:01.
maddog468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 10:18   #6
Nigel F-H

My 2014 (Build date Sept 13) Passat HPFP failed at 60,846 miles. After many calls to VWOA I managed to get repair cost cut down 50% to $3,000.00.
Please Please file a complaint with NHTSA at safercar.gov Find the "Vehicle Owner" Tab, then click complaints and defects tab...
If enough complaints are filed VWOA will have to extend warranty. My car broke down in middle of 6 lane freeway, no warning.
Unfortunately as many owners are dumping their TDI's I fear that not enough complaints will be made.
Nigel F-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 19:59   #7
ZB657

Fuel Economy: Highest MPG: 43.6 City/53.1 Highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephchase View Post
It appears this was an issue in older models up to 2012. I am being faced with repairing the high pressure pump, injectors and cleaning out the fuel tank. $$$$ I am also still waiting on Volkswagen buy back since October. Had that happened quicker I wouldn't be faced with this costly repair. I am fighting hard to get them to step up on this repair and no luck yet.
Anyone have this issue??
Yeah, I had this HPFP issue last year at 48,542 miles and only had the car two months at that time. My car stopped after I pulled over when I saw the coil light flashing. After a few minutes, it cut off and I couldn't keep it on after that as it would turn on and then shut off again.

It's a comprehensive repair...8k worth. Fuel lines, tank, pump, and all the other components that pertained to the fueling system was replaced. They did a test to make sure the fuel was diesel and repaired the system on their dime due to it being a faulty pump. Hopefully you get the same treatment and it shouldn't take no more than a week to get it repaired. It should be covered under warranty though if it's relatively new AND you didn't misfuel (which would be impossible nowadays).

Good Luck bud.

Last edited by ZB657; January 23rd, 2017 at 20:03.
ZB657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 15:44   #8
BCRacing24

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
BCRacing24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 14:23   #9
DieselMann99
Veteran Member

Why weren't 2013 models included?
DieselMann99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 14:43   #10
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Probably because the bean counters were trying to control warranty expenses.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 22:29   #11
Brasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephchase View Post
Anyone have this issue??
I had the same issue with my 2013 VW Passat TDi with 111k miles, VW Dealer called it a catastrophic failure of the fuel pump, quoted me almost $9000 to repair....Car is still sitting in my driveway....
Brasso is offline   Reply With Quote