www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old January 13th, 2016, 11:20   #16
mfleck74

Default 37k miles - 2013 vw passat tdi- fuel system failure too

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsiegmund View Post
My HPFP just went out on my 2013 Jetta. I just rolled 67k miles on the car without any prior issues. Has anyone had this happen to this year model or heard of any one having this issue in there 2013 TDI?
In August 2015, i was driving along and started to turn into a parking lot when my passat just quit running. Wouldn't start back up either. Thank goodness i wasn't on my commute home on the freeway! Towed to the dealership following day. First the dealership sent samples of my fuel off to test to ensure i hadn't contaminated my fuel. (I knew i hadn't!). Few days later, they call and tell me that it was covered by my warranty- complete fuel system failure, supposedly even had metal shavings in my tank & lines. They explained it along these lines...diesel here in US lacks the lubricity vs Europe. Additionally, they said that this is definitely more of a problem in the summertime and not wintertime. They claimed we have the exact same fuel systems here as they do there. In Europe, they never have that problem. (hmmm...should I believe this given the dieselgate ) They proceeded to "tell" me (not write this down...i don't think i can find it in writing) that i would know have to add diesel fuel additive every time i fueled up. Wow...seriously?? Would have been nice to have known this...i'm just saying. Meanwhile something very similar happened to my friends BMI x5 diesel- hers just wouldn't start up. It sounded to me like they did the same thing they did to mine. However, the BMW service tech looked at her like she had 2 heads when she inquired about the US diesel being caustic and lacking "lubricity." He thought that was a bunch of bull. I don't know...i'm sort of pissed. Who knows??!!
mfleck74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 05:10   #17
993er
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2496 View Post
I know some say the pumps in the TDI's are designed for European fuel and we need more lubrication so adding an additive would help it.
I don't believe most info coming from forums, but if that is truly the case, where fuel here is not the same as fuel there, then they should keep the cars in their own market or redesign the part to tolerate the conditions of other markets.

I really would have zero tolerance for a case like this where the cost of repair far exceeds the fuel savings over the years.

993er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 06:46   #18
mfleck74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 993er View Post
I don't believe most info coming from forums, but if that is truly the case, where fuel here is not the same as fuel there, then they should keep the cars in their own market or redesign the part to tolerate the conditions of other markets.

I really would have zero tolerance for a case like this where the cost of repair far exceeds the fuel savings over the years.

That was my thought too- "redesign the part to tolerate the conditions"...by the way, if anyone is interested- here's my receipts...
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j800qdf4v...P5H6uGHra?dl=0
Old January 14th, 2016, 07:12   #19
993er
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfleck74 View Post
That was my thought too- "redesign the part to tolerate the conditions"...by the way, if anyone is interested- here's my receipts...
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j800qdf4v...P5H6uGHra?dl=0
They installed a "remanufactured" HPFP.

On warranty, I would want a new one. A remanufactured part is one I would decide to use or not.

Wow, $4707 buys a lot of gas at a difference of 5 MPGs between a TDI and a similar gas vehicle.

Last edited by 993er; January 14th, 2016 at 07:15.
Old January 15th, 2016, 06:30   #20
mfleck74

[QUOTE=993er;4983387]They installed a "remanufactured" HPFP.

Huh...thanks for the heads-up. I guess I didn't look close enough at this detail. By the time I got my car back, I was just happy to have it - wasn't too keen on the loaner. But you're absolutely correct- this is under warranty - should be a new part not remanufactured.
Old January 15th, 2016, 09:31   #21
993er
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfleck74 View Post
But you're absolutely correct- this is under warranty - should be a new part not remanufactured.
I am not impressed with remanufactured alternators from Bosch after reading their list of what they do such as turn down the slip rings instead of replacing them.

It depends how far they go in the remanufacturing process of any part.

Old January 19th, 2016, 18:08   #22
John_Nutt

Well I am new to diesel, Diesel engines, and I just got my first tdi 6 months ago. When I bought the car I contacted a diesel mechanic friend of mine, he said to use an additive every fill up because the new ulsd doesn't have the same lubricating properties.
I did a bunch of research and found a product called Stanadyne, it meets vw spec for low ash or whatever it is.
http://stanadyneadditives.com/lubricity-formula/

Last edited by John_Nutt; January 19th, 2016 at 18:11.
John_Nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 09:09   #23
Gumbojones55

TDI(s): 2012 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 45ish

Sorry to hear this. I just had this happen to my 2012 back in September. $5K later I have a new fuel system. Get ahold of Andrew at 2micron. He has some inline filters that will protect your fuel system if it happens again.
Gumbojones55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 08:31   #24
xaM-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Nutt View Post
Well I am new to diesel, Diesel engines, and I just got my first tdi 6 months ago. When I bought the car I contacted a diesel mechanic friend of mine, he said to use an additive every fill up because the new ulsd doesn't have the same lubricating properties.
I did a bunch of research and found a product called Stanadyne, it meets vw spec for low ash or whatever it is.
http://stanadyneadditives.com/lubricity-formula/

Not a fan of Stanadyne since they sold the additive division to a different company. Not saying that it's bad but, I've just noticed something different since. I've used them for a while.

I actually switched back to Optilube XPD then found another good product called 'Full Torque' from A company called Lubrication Engineers. I tried their product and I definitely felt a difference! I'm switching to 'Full Torque' exclusively once gallon of Optilube is gone.
xaM-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 09:07   #25
993er
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaM-D View Post
I tried their product and I definitely felt a difference!
What "difference" did you "feel"?

Old February 9th, 2016, 13:34   #26
xaM-D

Quote:
What "difference" did you "feel"?
Now, to be clear, this is just the 'seat of my pants' feel... After using Optilube XPD and Stanadyne then back to Optilube to Full Torque, the engine seems to have that 'lighter' feel during acceleration. The Full Torque also has Cetane booster (3 points) which I'm sure made the difference. I used this only in the Jetta which I drive every single day for work. 150K of diesel additive use with each fill up.

The Touareg used Lubro-Moly diesel additive (bought from IDParts), Stanadyne, Optilube XPD. Haven't tried Full Torque in her yet. Once I used the gallon of Optilube XPD then I will make Full Torque for both.
xaM-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 16:38   #27
Fixmy59bug

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

Quote:
They installed a "remanufactured" HPFP.

But you're absolutely correct- this is under warranty - should be a new part not remanufactured.
To be fair though, the law only states the manufacturer must install new parts on unsold vehicles. So if something fails before a customer takes delivery of a brand new car, only then must a brand new part be installed.

Anytime after initial delivery during the warranty period, the manufacturer is free to use remanufactured parts (NOT recycled or used) parts that meet or exceed manufacturer specifications.
Old February 15th, 2016, 15:43   #28
Chrismak
Veteran Member

Hey Robert,
Since you work for the dealer you may have insight on this.
I'm considering buying a 2013 TDI (dah) Jetta with 72k on clock.

This is a NY rebuilt title. I have before pictures and the car looks like a light hit on front and got sandwiched maybe between trucks or such. Damage to each side doors etc.
It had no airbag deployment and has met the NY safety spec etc.

My question does VW America still honor the warranty on a rebuilt or branded title?

I'm not familiar with the HPFP failure coming from a B5.5 Passat that I'm not stranger to .

Does the 2 micron filter help the pump or just saves the rest of system if it gremades.
I did read somewhere that they had upgraded the roller bearings , not sure how true it is.

Appreciate response and any other words of advice , warning etc.

Chris
Old February 16th, 2016, 07:06   #29
redbarron55
Veteran Member

The 2 Micron system does a couple of things for you.
1. The added filter keeps the swarf from the faile pump from getting into the re-circulation loop of the fuel system. No flakes in the main fuel filter. They are caught in the added filter.
2. The re-circulation through the added 2 micron filter actually polishes the fuel since the pumps circulate more fuel than is used and the contents of the tank pass through more than once. This filtration lowers the contaminants in the overall system from what you got at the pump.
3. The second part of the system uses filtered fuel instead of fuel bypasses from the return flow to feed the high pressure side of the pump protecting the injectors and the associated fuel lines.
Overall I am very satisfied with the system on my 2009 JSW. I have had no HPFP problems and if at 250,000 miles the pump goes out I feel that it will protect the rest of the system.
It also provides the addition protection by polishing the fuel on board. Worth every penny for those of us who put on lots of miles and keep cars for a while.
I hope to be able to buy one for my 2013 when it gets close to the magic miles here warranty is no longer in force.
I think Andrew is taking a holiday until this Dieselgate thing sorts out, but he has done very good work and I appreciate his efforts greatly.
And as an aside to Andrew--- How is the trailer working out for you? I am about to get my Scamp 16 back on the road after a rebuild.

My local Chevron has this.

This is what you want to see when you fill up.
These filters have water eliminators and plug up rather than pass water.

Last edited by redbarron55; February 16th, 2016 at 07:21.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 22:43   #30
Brasso

I have a 2013 Passat TDI that had a HPFP failure....
Brasso is offline   Reply With Quote