www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old September 17th, 2015, 20:37   #1
chris2496

Fuel Economy: 30 city 43 highway
Exclamation Replaced entire fuel system due to HPFP failure

Took my 2012 Jetta TDI on a three hour road trip in Pennsylvania. Running smooth the entire day, nothing unusual. On the way back I stopped for some food and when I got back in my car to start it, it took longer to start than usual. I'm about to pull out of the parking lot when the glow plug light begins to flash. Park it in a nearby spot, and the engine soon dies. Called my aftermarket warranty company and got it towed to the closest VW dealership (keep in mind I'm on a road trip and in unfamiliar territory). A call a few days later confirms it was a high pressure fuel pump failure. The representative at the dealership explains to me that when the HPFP went out, it sent shavings through out the entire fuel system. They did take a fuel sample and the fuel I had in it was not contaminated.. Long story short, a MONTH and a HALF later, the entire fuel system was replaced. I wish I could show you guys the 3 page receipt they handed me when I came to pick it up, showing everything that was replaced.. I do believe they replaced the HPFP with an updated version so hopefully something catastrophic like this will not happen again..
chris2496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 20:45   #2
chris2496

Quick note, the car has just under 60k miles and I've been up-to-date on every interval service needed. And if anyone else has had an extensive problem like this with their TDI please feel free to drop a reply

Last edited by chris2496; September 17th, 2015 at 21:04.
Old September 17th, 2015, 23:10   #3
JBell
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Very well known problem. VW has extended HPFP warranty to 120k miles and will cover barring there is no fuel contamination. Almost everything in the fuel system gets replaced. From what I've read, the HPFP is not redesigned, so the pump will fail again, eventually.

A month and a half is ridiculous though.

Quick question, did you ever run lubricity additives in your fuel?
JBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 09:45   #4
chris2496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philth View Post
Very well known problem. VW has extended HPFP warranty to 120k miles and will cover barring there is no fuel contamination. Almost everything in the fuel system gets replaced. From what I've read, the HPFP is not redesigned, so the pump will fail again, eventually.

A month and a half is ridiculous though.

Quick question, did you ever run lubricity additives in your fuel?
No I never ran any additives but I've read about it and some say it's good and some say to stay away from it, I think? But any more information on the topic would be appreciated (: it may be a good idea in the near future. I know some say the pumps in the TDI's are designed for European fuel and we need more lubrication so adding an additive would help it.
Old September 18th, 2015, 15:06   #5
jbsiegmund

TDI(s): 2013 Jetta
Unhappy Hpfp

My HPFP just went out on my 2013 Jetta. I just rolled 67k miles on the car without any prior issues. Has anyone had this happen to this year model or heard of any one having this issue in there 2013 TDI?
jbsiegmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 15:50   #6
chris2496

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsiegmund View Post
My HPFP just went out on my 2013 Jetta. I just rolled 67k miles on the car without any prior issues. Has anyone had this happen to this year model or heard of any one having this issue in there 2013 TDI?
From what I've read it's an on-going problem with TDI's. My 2012 ran flawlessly until one day, BAM, the HPFP failed, no warning or symptoms or anything. After the repair its been running like normal again and I really hope it doesn't happen again down the road. I'll continue to post any updates that arise.
Old September 20th, 2015, 11:08   #7
miningman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

So as the owner of a 2003 , and thinking of upgrading , what years were fitted with these defective HPFPs??
miningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 11:30   #8
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

2009 and up (common rail ) have the not so good cp4 hpfp. I now have a cp3 hpfp kit from 2micron on my 2011 golf. Unlike the cp4, the cp3 is a well engineered design. My car should easily see 300k miles with the mods I've done.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2015, 06:41   #9
bennybmn
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
2009 and up (common rail ) have the not so good cp4 hpfp. I now have a cp3 hpfp kit from 2micron on my 2011 golf. Unlike the cp4, the cp3 is a well engineered design. My car should easily see 300k miles with the mods I've done.
Do you think simply replacing the pump is a good resolution as opposed to the other 2micron filter kits? Also, do you have a link to a thread where the CP3 is discussed in depth?
Thanks
Old October 9th, 2015, 11:03   #10
bennybmn
Veteran Member

Bump...
Old October 10th, 2015, 15:58   #11
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningman View Post
So as the owner of a 2003 , and thinking of upgrading , what years were fitted with these defective HPFPs??
My 2006 BRM is at 156k miles at the only thing major things I have done to it was to replace the craptastic DMF with a SMF and when I did the T/B, I pre-emtivly replaced the cam and lifters because they were just stating to show the tell tale signs of wear. (Known problem on BRM's)

Used I would get a 2006 with a manufacturing date as late in the year as possible, but be prepared to do some maintenance on it.

It would be a lot cheaper than the replace the entire fuel system that you would have to pay for if your CR was out of warranty and the injector pump crapped itself.

What strange about cams on the BEW/BRM unit injector engines is some folks will get 300K miles on them, and some folks have reported getting only70K miles on those cams.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 07:01   #12
mstanfield

Default hpfp cost

I've considered replacing hpfp when timing belt is replaced....

Anybody know cost?
mstanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 08:08   #13
JBell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstanfield View Post
I've considered replacing hpfp when timing belt is replaced....

Anybody know cost?

With you doing it or somebody else? IIRC, the HPFP is around $900.
Old October 11th, 2015, 17:00   #14
mstanfield

Default HPFP cost

by dealer or shop...too time consuming for me to wrench
mstanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 17:06   #15
JBell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstanfield View Post
by dealer or shop...too time consuming for me to wrench

Not sure if I've seen a price for an HPFP replacement when it hasn't grenaded. You might be able to work something out when the timing belt is being done though.