www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

View Poll Results: If you have experienced intercooler icing, select from the following options...
I have experienced a hard start / no start / power loss with my original intercooler 106 89.08%
I have experienced a hard start / no start / power loss with the UPDATED intercooler 13 10.92%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 10th, 2014, 05:29   #31
MAXecutive

TDI(s): Jetta VI

It's starting to make more sense now with the borderline temp/humidity issues. The IC scenarios above are great points. Is the IC update something done as a warranty recall or is that an update you pay for if you think you need it? I'm out of factory warranty but have an extended warranty from the dealer.

I'm still skeptical on the fuel but topping it off does help either way ...
Old January 10th, 2014, 06:55   #32
MAXecutive

Here are the codes I pulled from the car:

3 Faults Found:

000665 - Boost Pressure Regulation
P0299 - 001 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 66195 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2028.14.09
Time: 17:38:36
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1725 /min
Speed: 85.0 km/h
Load: 76.9 %
Pressure: 2238.5 mbar
Pressure: 943.8 mbar
Lambda: 92.3 %

000665 - Boost Pressure Regulation
P0299 - 000 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Time: 17:38:50
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2760 /min
Speed: 74.0 km/h
Load: 93.7 %
Pressure: 2456.3 mbar
Pressure: 605.0 mbar
Lambda: 91.5 %

000567 - Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31)
P0237 - 000 - Signal too Low - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Time: 17:38:53
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2507 /min
Speed: 68.0 km/h
Voltage: 14.14 V
Pressure: 1028.5 mbar
Pressure: 375.1 mbar
Temperature: -0.9°C
Temperature: 13.5°C
Old January 10th, 2014, 06:59   #33
japedo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better then anything I have owned prior:)

Intercoller icing is a decieving term. I read many posts where people don't understand how they could be experiencing intercoller icing issues in temperatures above/ near the freezing point.

It would be more self explanatory if it was worded as intercooler melting. Maybe...
Haveing a bit of ice in the intercooler is not necessarily the problem, but when the ice melts the intake draws up the water via boost pressure, and we all know that is not a good thing.

I have a hard time believing that your fuel was gelling at the the temperature you were driving in. But it could have I suppose.

Best of
Luck
japedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 07:06   #34
RebelTDI
Veteran Member

If you are motivated and have ramps, you can pull the IC hose off and see if a bunch of water comes out. You'll need Hex screwdrivers to remove the plastic shield. The IC hose will be in the front on the passenger side. Loosen the clamp and wiggle the hose off the IC. It is not difficult. Otherwise, have the dealer do it for you.
RebelTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 07:25   #35
TDI2000Zim
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 0.0 mpg

I don't trust the diesel supply in this region of the country (and I am 100 miles down the Parkway), Slime of all sorts play around with fuel deliveries.

I suggest you start a strict regime of adding a winterizing diesel additive to every diesel fill up, like HOWES, STANADYNE, POWERSERVICE, or LUCAS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXecutive View Post
Hello everyone and Happy New Year! I have a long story for you ...

I have a 2012 TDI with 41k miles. Today on my commute home from work my car suddenly lost ALL power. The car started up normally with the outside temperature at 30deg. I drive about 2 miles of local stop and go and then get on the NY Thruway. After I got on the highway, the car drove fine for 10 miles. I got onto the Tappan Zee Bridge (Eastbound) which has a long hill climb and had no issues. After I slowed down for the toll to about 40mph, I start to accelerate again as normal. I shifted into 5th gear at about 50mph going up another incline. Around 53mph, the car told me that I should downshift to 4th which seemed very odd because there was no engine strain and that is the gear I always use at that spot. I hit the gas and the car struggled to accelerate so I downshifted to 4th. I then give it gas and there was NO response. The fuel heater light started flashing. The car said to downshift to 3rd when I'm doing about 40+ mph now. I went to 3rd and still had absolutely no power. and the Check Engine Light came on. Has anyone experience anything like this before? Is this the freezing intercooler issue?

I was in the left lane with a very narrow shoulder on a left hand turn. It was too dangerous to stop there so I had to time traffic and jump over 4 lanes to the broad right side shoulder. At one point I was in the middle lane waiting for a car to pass and doing 20 mph uphill with no power. I avoided a near miss in the final lane and made it to the shoulder. A highway road assistance vehicle pulled up within 2 minutes.

If I attempted to start the car, it would turn on but the gas pedal felt like it was unplugged. It did not rev the engine at all. The car would start stuttering and stall. It had no battery issues, fuel was at 1/2 tank. A flatbed showed up and we were about to tow the car to a nearby VW dealer but I decided to give the car another try since 15-20 minutes went by. The car started fine, revved to the limiter with no stuttering issues. The tow truck guy say it may just be gelled fuel. What I don't understand is why didn't this happen on the 9 degree night? Tonight was 30deg and I had a horrible experience.

I decided to go to the nearest gas station and top off the fuel thinking that I didn't have a "winterized blend" in the tank. This is where the next issue occurred, the gas tank door would not open. It was frozen shut. I kept banging on the door and was about to pour hot water from the coffee machine on it. While waiting for the boiling water to cool down a bit, I managed to open the door and find ice all over it. Melting ice during the daytime today couldn't have anything to do with this I topped off the tank with 7 gallons and drove home like nothing ever happened...

Let me give you some background information now ... I've been using the same gas station since I bought this car over 2 years ago. It's a major rest area on the Garden State Parkway.
  • The last time I fueled this car up was on 12/19
  • On 12/20, the car was driven for 60 miles and then parked up until 12/25, Christmas Day
  • On 12/25, I drove the car for about 40 miles and parked it up for about 2 weeks with occasional start ups.
    • On 12/31, I started the car up for a few minutes to let it idle and drive it around the parking lot.
    • On 1/3, I started the car up for about 2 minutes since it was very cold, about 10 degrees.
    • On 1/7 morning (Tuesday of this week) it was 4 degrees overnight and I started the car in the morning with no issues. The fuel heater light came on for a few seconds, came off, and the engine turned over with no issue on the first attempt. The idle was just over 1k rpm and I let it run for about 5 minutes.
  • On 1/7 night, I drove the car home (32 mile commute, 9deg temp, idled for 20 minutes before driving). I did notice that at 12mph it was telling me to downshift to 1st. I though it just had something to do with the weather and didn't bother with it. The car drove normal.
  • On 1/8, yesterday morning, I started the car up in the morning (12 deg) and had no issues on my way to work.
  • On 1/8, last night, (20 deg) I did notice that the car wanted to be revved a little higher in the lower gears. I was not driving the car rough due to cold weather and didn't notice any highway power issues.
  • On 1/9, this morning (23deg) no issues.

What should my next steps be? I have an AutoXtend 7yr/100k Warranty that was purchased from the dealer. I was planning on taking the car to dealer that was more convenient for me since it is accepted at all VWs. What would they actually do and would it be covered Does this sound like a bad blend of diesel that was sitting in the car too long? Does the ice have anything to do with it? Is there any possible fuel filter or pump damage? I do have a Ross Tech cable but not sure how to used it to check for CEL codes. Should I just do that myself? The weather is suppose to be 40s tomorrow and mid 50s on Saturday.

Sorry for the long thread. Please let me know if anything was not clear and thanks for your help in advance.
TDI2000Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 07:38   #36
MAXecutive

Quote:
Originally Posted by japedo View Post
Intercoller icing is a decieving term. I read many posts where people don't understand how they could be experiencing intercoller icing issues in temperatures above/ near the freezing point.

It would be more self explanatory if it was worded as intercooler melting. Maybe...
Haveing a bit of ice in the intercooler is not necessarily the problem, but when the ice melts the intake draws up the water via boost pressure, and we all know that is not a good thing.

I have a hard time believing that your fuel was gelling at the the temperature you were driving in. But it could have I suppose.

Best of
Luck
Totally agree. It made more sense to me this morning. Cold air will keep ice in a solid state and just restrict air flow through the pipping. The real issues starts when the ice changes states back and forth from solid/liquid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelTDI View Post
If you are motivated and have ramps, you can pull the IC hose off and see if a bunch of water comes out. You'll need Hex screwdrivers to remove the plastic shield. The IC hose will be in the front on the passenger side. Loosen the clamp and wiggle the hose off the IC. It is not difficult. Otherwise, have the dealer do it for you.
Is there pictures of this process online? I assume this is the turbo to IC hose.
Old January 10th, 2014, 11:17   #37
RebelTDI
Veteran Member

When you get the plastic shield removed it will be obvious. It is the hose furthest on the passenger side, behind the front bumper.
RebelTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 20:10   #38
MAXecutive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelTDI View Post
See update below. I would of done this myself but I decided to have the dealer investigate and hopefully end up with the Cold Weather IC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI2000Zim View Post
I don't trust the diesel supply in this region of the country (and I am 100 miles down the Parkway), Slime of all sorts play around with fuel deliveries.

I suggest you start a strict regime of adding a winterizing diesel additive to every diesel fill up, like HOWES, STANADYNE, POWERSERVICE, or LUCAS.
That why I only fill up at the GSP Montvale station. I figured that the diesel moves extremely fast there and I would rarely run into problems. But if the supply is bad, thats a whole different story. I never put any additives in the tank since I owned the car. This is my 3rd winter with it.

Last edited by MAXecutive; January 10th, 2014 at 20:29.
MAXecutive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 20:23   #39
MAXecutive

UPDATE:

I decided to call up the VWoA number based on the info from GraniteRooster's thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=302863

They took notes of my entire highway incident and I explained the Icing IC TSB and my expired/extended warranty situation. They opened a case for me and suggested that I set up an appointment with my VW dealer and then notify them of the Dealer, Date, Time, and Service Advisor. VWoA will then follow-up on the diagnostics directly with the dealer. The representative told me that they may be able to assist if the problem is the IC and the extended warranty does not cover it.

My dealer doesn't have any loaner cars available until Thursday so I couldn't drop it off today. I drove the car home and the idle was smooth however I noticed a decrease in performance. I would have to be one gear lower than normal to feel the same power I normally would at any given speed. For example, doing 60mph in 6th gear felt like I was trying to do 50 in 6th. I needed to stay in 5th gear for most of the commute.

My plan is to leave the car parked up until Thursday morning and drive to dealer and have them diagnose it. They told me that is will be an initial fee of $125 and they will contact the extend warranty (AutoXtend) to find out if the problem is covered (IC in this case). I have their Elite plan and according to the brochure, turbo/supercharger and ICs are covered.
Old January 11th, 2014, 03:20   #40
RDC98tdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Best Tank: 49.5 MPG, Best 80mi trip: 59mpg

It sounds similar to my IC icing issue. What ended up happening was I drove it in the teens one evening, then the next morning it was about 40 on the way to work. The condensation thawed enough and mixed with the blowby gasses to create a slimy sludge that plugged up or messed up my MAP sensor. I had the same code as your third one. They replaced my intercooler and the associated sensors and I have not had a problem yet.
RDC98tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:29   #41
MAXecutive

Ok. Good to know. Is any sludge possible without the water situation?
Old January 11th, 2014, 09:54   #42
RDC98tdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Best Tank: 49.5 MPG, Best 80mi trip: 59mpg

You might have an oily film even without the condensation, but most likely it has to mix with the moisture to create the nasty baby sh*t looking sludge. Other people have it or water get ingested into the actual engine, and that's a lot worse!
RDC98tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:26   #43
bennybmn
Veteran Member

I got VW to pay for my AC compressor that failed, but I had to shell out at the dealer first...
Old January 17th, 2014, 06:55   #44
c4markee

They finally got me the compression numbers. Anyone know what they are stock, not even sure what the numbers are they gave me 29.0 29.0 29.8 29.4?
c4markee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:18   #45
turboboost1
Veteran Member

Appears they gave you the compression numbers in "bar" where 1 bar = 14.50377 PSI. Your numbers in PSI would then be 420.6, 420.6, 432.2 and 426.4 respectively.
turboboost1 is offline   Reply With Quote