www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

View Poll Results: Which AMSOIL?
Premium API CJ-4 Diesel Oil (DEO) 100 28.65%
European Car Formula Motor Oil (AFL) 249 71.35%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 29th, 2006, 20:19   #16
whitedog
Veteran Member

Will a mod lock his own thread? Inquiring minds want to know.
See a doctor and get rid of it. - Navin Johnson.
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 20:32   #17
BKmetz
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG

Quote:
You sound upset and to get upset over something like an oil preference is just not good for one's health.
I read sarcasm. Now you paint yourself as the benevolent Frank M?

Quote:
Why is Amsoil attacked to this degree by members? Well my feeling about the Amsoil attack by other members is this: At times it has been pushed on members like it is some sort of religious ointment for our vehicles. And to get it we have to belong to a certain domination and get it through the chief priest. The chief priest is always ready to take our order.
This grates on members and cause those rebuttals that we see in some threads. I notice that other oils that are marketed differently are not the victims of long sarcastic remarks by members. The solution I see is for Amsoil users to talk about their product in a normal fashion and not attribute mystique to its qualities.
I agree with the evangelical tone some of the pro-Amsoil camp uses wears thin. I'm going to introduce a simple concept here: When the Amsoil detractors respond in kind or engage in oneupmanship, it compounds the problem. Thus my position on the Amsoil detractors and my lack of sympathy for them. Matching bad form is not acceptable. So, are you part of the solution or part of the problem?

Another simple concept: It's OK to sit out the debates if you can't add anything constructive. Try it!

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )

Last edited by BKmetz; June 30th, 2006 at 05:53.
BKmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 20:33   #18
BKmetz
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog
I have actually done this before.

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )
BKmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 20:46   #19
fixer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmetz
Liar means intentional deceit, this is not the case.
When someone (a vendor) has a financial interest in his 'version of the facts' and someone else has no financial interest in their 'version of the facts' it should be obvious who has no credibility and who does.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 21:12   #20
LurkerMike
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: -Whitey: 38-40 mpg Hwy @ 80 mph / -Red 46 mpg Hwy @ 80 mph

I'm an Amsoil consumer because it has been proven to me to be consistently "one" of the best products available. I buy from a coworker so it is convenient.

I got on the Amsoil kick because of their ATF many years ago. I was using Mobil1 ATF and I wasn't happy with the clear almost undyed property and the fact that it was always "thin" on the dipstick when checking the fluid level hot. Heck, I couldn't even read the stick in the bright sun. Still, fully synthetic Mobil1 ATF was far better than conventional dino ATF's.

I tried the Amsoil blood red fully synthetic ATF that has much more apparent "body" to it on the stick and I was instantly hooked! I have never seen another ATF that even comes close.

Switching to Amsoil engine oils was a natural progression after that.

Now I think I will stick with Amsoil ATF in my Jetta trans and Elf 506.01 in the crankcase... at least until Amsoil comes out with a 506.01 "recommended" oil... I don't care about the "official certification" from Amsoil, if they recommend it for a given spec, I'm good.

I drink Coke, not Pepsi. I wear briefs, not boxers. I ride a hybrid bicycle, not a road bike. I eat chicken and turkey, NEVER beef (until EVERY cow is tested for mad cow). I drink hormone free rice and soy milk, NEVER dairy milk made from cows on the "juice". I think tobacco should be made illegal and medical marijuana legalized. I believe Afghanistan and Iraq were our destiny. But if you go to war, you kill the enemy without mercy, the way they fight us. Falluga should have been MOAB'ed off the map on Day 1 of the war followed by every town were "heavy" resistance was encountered. Short of these terms, I wouldn't have "gone in" if it were my decision to make.

The last time I checked it was a free country and I have the "right" to these opinions. But of all of them, my Amsoil preference seems to be the most controversial?
LurkerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 21:15   #21
P2B
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog
I bet he will, if it crosses the lines he's drawing.

To my mind, this thread exemplifies the major deficiency of web forums - threads can't branch. On Usenet, it's easy for readers to follow the main thread while ignoring flame war eruptions in the branches, and hard for fanatics to hijack the main thread.

Simon
2000 Canyon Red Jetta TDI GLS 300K
P2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 21:30   #22
LurkerMike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank M
...Why is Amsoil attacked to this degree by members?
Well my feeling about the Amsoil attack by other members is this:
At times it has been pushed on members like it is some sort of religious ointment for our vehicles...

...The solution I see is for Amsoil users to talk about their product in a normal fashion and not attribute mystique to its qualities...
I agree, VW fluids are the only "magic mystical potions" that deserve an official unchallenged cult following here...
Old June 29th, 2006, 21:38   #23
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet.
Default BKMetz: a proposal of my own

Hello Brian,

I am somewhat of a disinterested observer of these Amsoil pissing contests. I have used their gear oil but am turned off by the lack of 'regular business hours' dependability. Having stated my disclosure, my proposal is this:

Why not start a WHOLE subforum, dedicated strictly to discussing Amsoil/Anti-Amsoil debates?

The way I see it is that it would be so childish and boring that the vast majority would ignore it, and only the fanatics on either side would hash it out. There seem to be only 5-15 on each side anyway. The forum would be sacrificing a little bit of bandwidth...to keep the peace in the oils and lubricants forum. Any time anyone asked anything about Amsoil or tried to post anything about Amsoil there, they would be viciously kicked in the teeth and told to: "take it over to the Amsoil Dead-End Threads!"

Huh??
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 21:45   #24
LurkerMike
Veteran Member

Sounds like GREAT fun to me!!!

Meet me in the playground after school, unless you are CHICKEN!!!

BOCK BOCK BOCK!!! CHICKEN!!!!
Old June 30th, 2006, 04:03   #25
Frank M
BANNED

TDI(s): NB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyH
Frank,Why the attacks, Frank? (and the photos of hand-painted signs?!) Because the 'truth' is just fine - as long as it's the 'group's truth'. Sigh.

Andy
The pics are of Amsoil Dealers. Nothing wrong with that.
Thousands of people drive by those establishments every day and see those signs.

If you, as an Amsoil dealer are offended by them, then think about the motorist driving by those establishments everyday. Wouldn't they think some one is crazy to buy that Amsoil from them...

Last edited by BKmetz; November 3rd, 2008 at 13:32. Reason: dead link removed
Frank M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 08:11   #26
LurkerMike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thousands of people drive by those establishments every day and see those signs.

If you, as an Amsoil dealer are offended by them, then think about the motorist driving by those establishments everyday. Wouldn't they think some one is crazy to buy that Amsoil from them...

It is bad PR perhaps, but I wouldn't want to pay more for the product just so they could expand the advertising budget and provide professional quality signage for the resellers...

Besides, hand painted emissions testing signs can indicate good things about the operator's need for some fast $$$... especially when you are running a pair of dominators sitting on a tunnel ram feeding the big block transplant in your emissions era vehicle, if you know what I mean, eh Bubba?

Last edited by BKmetz; November 3rd, 2008 at 13:33. Reason: dead link removed
Old June 30th, 2006, 09:34   #27
wny_pat
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard
Why not start a WHOLE subforum, dedicated strictly to discussing Amsoil/Anti-Amsoil debates?

The way I see it is that it would be so childish and boring that the vast majority would ignore it, and only the fanatics on either side would hash it out. There seem to be only 5-15 on each side anyway. The forum would be sacrificing a little bit of bandwidth...to keep the peace in the oils and lubricants forum. Any time anyone asked anything about Amsoil or tried to post anything about Amsoil there, they would be viciously kicked in the teeth and told to: "take it over to the Amsoil Dead-End Threads!"
I have to agree with that, but I also know it would end up carrying over. They have the same policy over at Edmunds concerning Zaino. But it still comes back to the regular forum.

I have known about Amsoil for years and have even used it now and then. I think they have a great product, but lack in the PR and Marketing Department. And I think their Amsoil University is nothing but a cheering team to keep up the spirit of the independant dealers. In making that statement, I do not mean it to put down any of the Amsoil dealers here, especially Andy. He knows his product well, better than most, and I do respect him for that.
Old June 30th, 2006, 10:38   #28
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

Obviously this thread should be a sticky.
Why I recommend fuel additive.
tditom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 12:39   #29
P1Performance

""""Sootch, it was the MOTUL guy who first mentioned Amsoil, not Andy. If this forum had reps from the other brands listed I would expect them to get involved too. I did not find Andy's response unreasonable."""""

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let start by saying that i did not have anything negative to say about Amsoil. All i stated was: Why is Amsoil stating they are an approved VW 505.01 oil, when they are not approved. Also, if they are willing to stand behind its product. Andy answered it and thats it.

""""jombl, I do not have a problem with your facts. I have a HUGE problem with your attitude. Attacks, insults, and slander will not be tolerated. I don't care how much you think you are right, there is no excuse for an attack or calling someone a liar, twice. Andy is not a liar, his version of the facts simply do not agree with your version of the facts. Liar means intentional deceit, this is not the case. Figure out a more diplomatic way to make you point because next time will involve time-outs. You have been told.""""

Jombl was just correcting AndyH. If AndyH can correct me with info that can be easily misinterpreted by a reader, then why can't Jombl correct AndyH or make it clearer for everyone. As for attack or just thinking you are smarter than most people on this forum. I didn't mean to write "there" instead of "their", but AndyH felt compelled to correct me. I can only wish to be an english professor.
P1Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 13:15   #30
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:

THey are just pics... yes, nothing wrong with that-- however whenever you post those pics, it's the comments that you use that makes it into an attack on Amsoil, its products, and its retail network-- this is something you do quite often.

---------------
Lemme add my 2 cents... everytime someone mentioned Magnuson-Moss Act, people tend to miss the point of the M-M Act itself.

VW can specify specific standards, such as VW505.00, VW505.01, etc., but cannot limit the use to only product sold at the VW dealership

Example:
1. VW502.00 oils:
Since VW uses ZVW 352 540S, which is a VW502.00 oil and the customer uses Mobil 1 0w40-- VW cannot void a warranty because he/she did not use the ZVW 352 540S oil.

2. Oil filters.....
It is very common for us to get Mann filters in Manne packaging. VW cannot void a warranty because we did not use the Mann filter in VAG packaging.

3. Our suicidal MAF's.
If we used the Mann air filter-- VW cannot void the warranty reimbursement because we did not use the VW air filter (which is a Mann filter anyway)

Expanding on the M-M Act is the proof that the aftermarket part did not cause the failure.

Last edited by BKmetz; November 3rd, 2008 at 13:33. Reason: dead link removed
20IndigoBlue02 is offline   Reply With Quote