www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

View Poll Results: Which AMSOIL?
Premium API CJ-4 Diesel Oil (DEO) 100 28.49%
European Car Formula Motor Oil (AFL) 251 71.51%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 23rd, 2017, 18:01   #2206
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Ok, I just looked at some amsoil pages and it does appear that the 5w30 esp has 507 approval. I really had no dog in this- I don't read the owners manual as gospel or even use 507 oils.
turbobrick240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 18:24   #2207
New Mickey
The user formerly known as mickey

TDI(s): 2015 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Ok, I just looked at some amsoil pages and it does appear that the 5w30 esp has 507 approval. I really had no dog in this- I don't read the owners manual as gospel or even use 507 oils.
THANK YOU!

I felt like Galileo at the Inquisition.

-mickey

p.s. Unless you have a particulate filter you don't need 507.00. And if you DO have one, and get rid of the filter (for offroad use only) then you no longer need it.

If you DO have the filter I'd strongly suggest using 507.00. Particulate filters in diesels already have a checkered history. I wouldn't tempt fate.
New Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2017, 08:31   #2208
FXDL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.4 per 100KM's

How much did Castrol pay vw to have their product on vw shelfs and and the service department says if you use anything else then vw may deny warranty. 13 bucks for a group 3 engine oil and some 30 bucks for dsg oil plus tax. A rip off for a product that is inferior to other products at a lower cost.
FXDL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2017, 08:45   #2209
FXDL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.4 per 100KM's

507 ratings of oils. I could see as long as your car is still covered by warranty then use a 507 oil. If no warranty then a good diesel oil without the 507 BS would work fine if ones engine does not use a great deal of oil between changes. I used T6 in my 2010 that I turned in for a 2015 tdi. The T6 in the 2010 used the least amount of any oils that I every used in it. It used maybe 8 10 oz's between oil changes. My 2015 I will us a 507 only because it has a 260000 km warranty on the emissions other wise I would be using say Amsoil HDD 5W30 or the Shell T6.
I used the T6 in my 2010 tdi for some 160,000 km's or more. Each their own as to what you think is best.
FXDL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2017, 06:05   #2210
TooSlick
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Audi 100S

Hey "New Mickey",

Good grief, are we still debating the whole Amsoil Cert issue from ten years ago?I posted a long novel's worth of responses on the subject myself. Now that Al Amatuzio's son and SIL are running Amsoil, I suspect they'll obtain the proper Certifications where the corporate ROI would justify it, for example with their VW 504/507 Euro Formula and BMW and Mercedes, TDI Spec oils.

FWIW, I like the new, Heavy Duty, API rated, CK-4/SN oils even better than the VW 504/507, or MB 229.51 stuff. The formulation chemistry of the "dual use" , European lubes is largely driven by the requirements of turbocharged, DI GAS engines these days (to prevent "LSPI"). So they may be less than optimal for use in modern, TDI diesels. Of course we have seen this with previous VW/Audi/Porsche lubes - specifically the VW 502.00/505.01 oils. The majority of those generated underwhelming results, based on used oil analysis....

Amsoil hasn't bothered getting VW 502.00, or VW 505.01 Certs. Since both are outdated Specifications anyway, I doubt they'll do so in the future....

Welcome back, by the way!

TS
TooSlick is offline   Reply With Quote