www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old April 6th, 2017, 22:10   #8941
ATR
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
One tip...
Overfilling a gas tank can get very $$$$ with modern cars. The charcoal vapor recovery canisters can get saturated and require a $$$ replacement. The extra space in the system is meant to add volume so when the gasoline expands or the car applies the vacuum to the tank system, liquid gasoline cannot get to the charcoal canisters. When overfilled, all bets are off.
Good point. I should have been clearer...

I'm aware of the charcoal canisters of modern gasoline powered cars/trucks. I make it a rule to never fill more the the second "click". After the fuel pump clicks the first time I wait 10 seconds then hit it one more time. Normally gets a me 1/3 gallon extra. I have never and will never fill to the brim on my gasser.

Little things I miss about my diesel...

***Official maintenance schedule for your VW [PDFs inside]***
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 02:47   #8942
Michael M Perez

I love talking and passing pleasantries. After all life is all about making friends and enjoying every moment.
Michael M Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 11:03   #8943
New Mickey
The user formerly known as mickey

TDI(s): 2015 Passat

I've always over-filled my gasoline and diesel vehicles, and never had a problem. However, I never fill up at the end of a drive. The tank isn't "overfilled" long enough to be a problem.

Some can't really be over-filled. I have a 2010 Transit Connect van, and cannot squeeze in more than an extra pint or so after the pump clicks off. "Full" really is "full."

My 2007 Honda Accord, on the other hand, takes 2 1/2 GALLONS of extra fuel until it's literally brim full. And has been doing so at every fill up for 250,000 trouble-free miles. That's an extra 70+ miles of range from a tank. I go well over 100 miles before the needle drops to FULL.

It is theoretically possible to drown your carbon canister, but you really have to work at it. Over-fill on a hot day and then immediately park in the sun? That might cause a problem. Or spill diesel fuel on the ground, in the case of an over-filled TDI. But it's not going to be an issue if you start burning the fuel right away.

-mickey
New Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 11:17   #8944
tadawson
Veteran Member

There is no canister or evap system on a diesel . . . diesel vapor pressure is too low to need it . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 07:10   #8945
t1n0m3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATR View Post
...I make it a rule to never fill more the the second "click". After the fuel pump clicks the first time I wait 10 seconds then hit it one more time...
Same here... At least until I got my Jeep. If I go beyond the first click, Diesel goes everywhere. The Jeep is the first vehicle that I have experienced this.

I don't have my Golf anymore, but I am still a religious reader of this thread and still a Diesel fanatic.

Sadly, here in Chicago, no one gives a crap about what you put in your vehicle. So no new stories from me.
t1n0m3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 14:54   #8946
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

I blocked the only diesel pump with my gasser the other day

Oh wait... I was filling a jerry can of diesel for my tractor, the only diesel I have now thanks to VW's antics
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 15:42   #8947
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I was at a gas station the other day when I saw a beautiful white Smyth ute tdi pulling away. For a moment I thought about running after him to get a better look, but it was too damned hot out. It was only the second one I have seen in person, and the first in Maine. The first one I saw was runonbeer's down in Austin. Both examples were very clean and well executed. A younger guy pumping gas into his jetta also noticed the Ute and me staring after it. He was a bit bewildered when I told him it was a chopped jetta.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote