www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old June 10th, 2002, 12:53   #61
gardentender
RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten

Fuel Economy: 53+/46/41
Default Re: Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

stopped at truck stop on I-35 on way back from Austin last weekend. topped off with about 15 gallons of diesel at one of those islands with both diesel and gas pumps. went inside to pay cash for the fuel.
cashier said, "$17.18, have a nice day!"
We drove off without further incident.

[ June 10, 2002, 11:55: Message edited by: gardentender ]
gardentender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2002, 12:59   #62
N_D_v_22101
Veteran Member

--snip

We drove off without further incident.

--snip

Gardentender, I guess that TDIs are common in that area of the US?!

-Neil
N_D_v_22101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2002, 19:50   #63
eluwak
Veteran Member

Perhaps a little different from other... I was filling up at the local station when the lady on the other side of me asked me why the nozzle would fit into her pratically new, running, toyota landcruiser. I could tell as I was explaining that she was using the diesel pump to fill her bahemouth that she had never been to a gas station before [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Most of the other times it's the clerks behind the counter snickering cause they think I just made a big boo boo and are waiting to see my car die [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
eluwak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2002, 01:17   #64
Lineman
Veteran Member

I filled up for the first time yesterday. I said "Pump 5", She said "You know that's a diesel pump, right". I said "Yes, I know" and smiled.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2002, 01:21   #65
godlike242
Veteran Member

a few months ago, i was filling up and some guy in a Suburban wandered over and asked about the car, and what kind of mileage and what is it to drive..

when i told him the mileage, he looked back at his truck with a sad expression on his face... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
godlike242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2002, 04:53   #66
gardentender
RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten

Fuel Economy: 53+/46/41

nothing like becoming disenchanted with your SUV and your significant other on the same damn day!
gardentender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:07   #67
Bugzilla

Got a few of these.

My first fill up I had to go into the station and convince the attendant that my car really was a diesel. It took about 5 minutes and finally told her, 'Look it's my damn car, if I want to tear it up then let me.' She then turned on the pump for me. Same attendant 1 week later did almost exactly the same thing. Sad part of it was that the diesel pump is right beside the kerosene pump and is no where near the gas pumps. You really have to go out of you way to pump their diesel.

Just last night, pulled into a truck stop and there were two(2) MB 240D's at the pump having a conversation and looking at each other's engines. They had already filled up and were blocking both diesel pumps. I got out and asked if one of them could move so I could fill up. They both looked and me and said 'You realize this is a diesel pump, don't you?'. I informed them that I in fact was driving a diesel. They then walk over to check out my car. We spent quite a bit of time talking about the cars, looking under the hoods. They couldn't get over how quite the TDI was compared to theirs. One guy asked me about my mileage and told him I was averaging 51 mpg and his eyes got really big, and volunteered he was only getting 24 mpg.

Eric
Bugzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2002, 17:37   #68
Kyanoti
Veteran Member

I keep a log of how much fuel I buy, when, and at what odometer reading. Quite handy for bragging rights. But, to the point, it is a quiet pleasure to be writing down the entry for the current fillup, and notice that its been a month since the last time I stopped at a gas station.
Kyanoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2002, 18:06   #69
Zeedaddy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/40/32

Maybe not in a Gasoline station but anywayss....

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I went into a Burger King in Carson City....there was another nice (Indigo Blue) TDI in the parking lot.....we went in sat down behind a lady and her son..she asked me "Is that your Green Jetta TDI [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ".....Me my wife and that lady had a coversation all through our lunch about the cars (and how she accidently put gasoline in her car [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] No engine damage thankfully It quit before she got to the end of the block) I have had several converstions like this with a whole bunch of people in all sorts of places I LOVE IT

I also told her about the TDIClub [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[ June 11, 2002, 19:24: Message edited by: zeedaddy ]
Zeedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2002, 08:24   #70
Ruth-n-Dave

I pulled into a new station (well, new to me), and couldn't find the diesel pump immediately. Then I saw a guy with a Mercedes diesel gesturing wildly for me to drive over to where he was. He heard the engine, and knew it was a TDI - he had a Passat like mine until it got totalled.

After chatting a bit, he said his name was DeeBee, and did I know about the TDIclub? That was my introduction to all of you. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Ruth-n-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2002, 11:48   #71
tdipoet
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1 Hojillion MPG

awwwwwwwww. i like ruth's story best.
tdipoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2002, 01:48   #72
SteveS
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 59.6 max

Quote:
Originally posted by ruth:
...I saw a guy with a Mercedes diesel gesturing wildly for me to drive over to where he was. He heard the engine, and knew it was a TDI - he had a Passat like mine until it got totalled.

After chatting a bit, he said his name was DeeBee, and did I know about ... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So DeeBee is up to his old tricks again. Hats off to you, DeeBee, your smooth ways still work that old charm...

[ June 12, 2002, 12:48: Message edited by: SteveS ]
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2002, 22:49   #73
Brdlvr

Last month when my wife stopped to fill our TDI, she began to put on a pair of gloves. A trucker who was filling his truck came over and offered to fill the car for her. A true knight of the road.
Brdlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2002, 07:21   #74
Boone
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/48/38

Well a couple of things....

In Wisconsin I have never gotten questioned about putting diesel in my Jetta by any station attendent. But i did have a couple of guys in pickups filling up, at the Amoco I always goto, comment to me about how wise it is to own a diesel, and ask me the milage and crap.

But this is the good part one day I decided to try some high quality truck stop fuel [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] (had no choice), anyrate, i pulled around to the truck lanes and sitting there was an old guy filling his NB up with fuel, he was silent never even looked at me. There was only 3 truck lanes, 2 had VW's in them with 2 rigs behind us and the 3rd had a rig in it. I wish I had a camera, 2 TDI's filling up and 2 18 wheeler's waiting for us to fill up!!! I didnt vent that day, they are alot bigger than me!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2002, 08:44   #75
**DONOTDELETE**

Russel, Manitoba (home of Theoren Fleury): Pull up to pump, attendant asks "Diesel? That's a diesel? I've never seen a car that small run on diesel. It didn't sound like a diesel. Hmm. Sharp little car!" (nice save!)

Bassano, Alberta: Kid (looks like Hilary Swank from Boys Don't Cry) says "That's a diesel? Wow. A diesel car."

Somewhere else: Attendant asked "That's diesel. Are you sure?"

[ June 19, 2002, 07:44: Message edited by: je ]
**DONOTDELETE** is offline   Reply With Quote