www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:21   #31
golfstream
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55, 49, 45
Default Re: Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

Quote:
Originally posted by Tor Diesel:
... She hates to touch the nozzle (for fear of smelling like diesel all day) and is very careful not to splash...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Tor,

She'd be more inclined to touch your nozzle if you keep it cleaner... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

-Mel
golfstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:34   #32
N_D_v_22101
Veteran Member

If some females who pump their own diesel want, h@ll, they can even touch MY nozzle! LOL

I treat it with care!!!!

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
N_D_v_22101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:59   #33
vickielman

Both of the stations that I use regularly have a car diesel pump in the line up of truck pumps. So usually its the truck drivers walking by who pause and say, "I didn't know they made them cars in a diesel". I just say yep, and they usually ask about my mileage. Most are shocked and amazed when I tell them I get about 700 miles off a tank. I've never been shut down or warned like I didn't know what I was putting in my car, but my license plate also says "GOT DEZL" so that may help. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

At one station people are constantly blocking the diesel pump to run in to buy stuff from the convenience store or whatever. It pisses me off, so I usually just pull in behind them and blow my horn (more fun in the F350 with the air horns [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ). But last time it was a cop blocking the pump, so I figured I better be nice. I went inside and he's standing there sipping his coffee. I said "hey, you wanna move your car forward - you are blocking the pump." He said sure, and did and then talked to me about 5 minutes about my car. Most of the time I don't mind bragging on it, because I do enjoy my car.

Oh, and I keep a pair of leather work gloves in the door pocket for pumping those dirty nozzles. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Vicki
vickielman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2002, 14:35   #34
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~39 mpg :(

These stories are great! Keep 'em coming. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I seem to be in the club of never having anyone say anything about my car when filling up. I think in the two years I've had it, I've only had one or two people ask me about my mileage.

My best friend's brother was all over my car when we visited him a while back. He was going to buy a Golf TDI for his daughter's graduation from high school! Must be nice. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

He was into diesels too, but his was a honkin' big Dodge truck that could run circles 'round my Golf. It's the only thing I've ever rode in that didn't need to start in 1st gear. It was a special order engine (dunno the specs) that moved in 5th like mine does in 2nd!

Awesome [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2002, 14:48   #35
[the unit]
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/44/39

I've never had the pump get shut off or anything like that, but when I go in to pay I occasionally hear "You know that's diesel, right?" However, on my way to work one morning, I stopped at a convenience store in Oviedo to buy a drink, and when I came out there was a fella with an old 240D standing there next to my car checking it out. We talked for about 10 minutes about his diesel and mine, and how his had 270k and was going in for a rebuild soon. It was a pretty neat act of random diesel bonding... too bad a had to leave so I wasn't late for work!

-Rob
[the unit] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2002, 21:20   #36
gardentender
RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten

Fuel Economy: 53+/46/41

hmmmmm,
"random diesel bonding"

didn't B.F Skinner write about that?
gardentender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:13   #37
rocketman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/49/46

Usually I get "looks" only. They seem to be saying to themselves, "Is he going to be in for a surprise".
One guy asked me, how do you like that New Beetle? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:36   #38
Fimum Fit
Veteran Member

I was raised on a farm in Minnesota -- I love the smell of diesel fuel, except that it makes me so homesick!
Fimum Fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2002, 11:54   #39
tdipoet
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1 Hojillion MPG

Quote:
Originally posted by MITBeta:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had a kid (late teens, gawd, I'm getting old) who was there with his dad and he was totally fascinated by the TDI.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nate, you're talking about WPIPoet aren't you? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

man, all these stories make me want to go pump some diesel. it's almost a shame i get so many miles between tanks...
tdipoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2002, 13:19   #40
jorpet
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48 Lifetime

I have only had one truck driver tell me I was pumping diesel. He wanted the pump and thought I should move. After I told him the Jetta was a diesel he got out and took a look.

In 25 years of pumping gas into my cars I doubt I had more than a half dozen conversations at the pump and most of those came over a '67 Belvedere I was driving. With the TDI I talk to someone almost everytime. I find diesel owners way friendly.

I was filling the the Jeep one day and an old diesel Rabbit backs into the diesel pump behind me. I sit and chat with him while we both fill up. I get in the car and my wife asks "who was that you were talking to". I said I don't know just a friendly diesel driver.

wifes reaction ==&gt; [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
jorpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2002, 13:21   #41
Mark Mellblom
Veteran Member

Being in the military has one advantage..you can fuel up in the company of some cool vehicles. Deuce 1/2s, Unimogs, etc. I drilled in the reserves the other weekend and waited in line along with some 'heavys' and took the time to explain that my Golf was right at home...heck it was Green!
Only complaint so far, is getting diesel on your tenny shoes. Man, if you don't wipe that junk off, its slippery brake pedal time!

You can find a pic on my site from the last GTG at Williamsburg.
Mark Mellblom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2002, 20:56   #42
Tor Diesel

Fuel Economy: auto=50 MPG

Quote:
Tor,

She'd be more inclined to touch your nozzle if you keep it cleaner... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

-Mel[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Tor Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2002, 14:42   #43
PackRat
Veteran Member

I finally have a story. I was filling up last night for my return trip home from Chicago. I was at a Tri-State Tollway service plaza on I-80/294 and pulled up to the diesel pump in the car section. I get out, added what was left of my additive and went to put my credit card in the slot. The pump read "Pump stopped". I tried pushing the buttons but nothing. So I go to the cashier and ask if the diesel pump was working. She gives me this look like I'm the biggest Idiot Out Walking About (Iowa, get it? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) and says "You wanna put DIESEL in your CAR? Why?" I replied, "It's a diesel car, it doesn't run too well if you put gasoline in it." She kind of rolls her eyes and turns the pump on. I think she must have turned it off when I tried to use it to prevent me from "making a mistake".
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2002, 15:46   #44
FL70CAT

I had some lady walk up to my wife at wal-mart one time after we parked and say "excuse me dear, your car has something wrong with it....it shouldn't sound like that"
I wanted to just lose it laughing but somehow held it and said "thanks it's a diesel" she then gave a puzzled look and walked away.

Recently in my FL70 truck I've actually had someone walk up to me while filling at the diesel island and ask if the truck was diesel. I was like aaaaahhhhhhhh........yup' it is.

There's some darn ignorant people out there, how about it!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
FL70CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2002, 15:52   #45
RiceEater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53 mpg @ 70 mph

Years ago when one of my buddies purchased one of the first Dodge Cummins pick up trucks we fell into a routine where he starts up his truck and I yell that he needs a valve adjustment and he yells back "I can't hear you. I need to get my valves adjusted."
RiceEater is offline   Reply With Quote