www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old May 21st, 2002, 06:41   #16
N_D_v_22101
Veteran Member

Default Re: Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

Guys/Gals,

Keep those stories flowing!!! I get a laugh when I read them!!
N_D_v_22101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 07:05   #17
tadc
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45/42/37

I love being able to pump my own diesel in Oregon, unfortunately some of the gas jockeys don't know that it's legal, and some stations just dont' allow it (even though they know it's legal).

I did have one very nice young hispanic guy take several extra minutes trying to squeeze the last drop into my tank after I complained that he wouldn't let me top it off myself. I'm not sure but I think he even vented it(without me telling him)!
tadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 07:17   #18
TEXAS_TDI
BANNED

Quote:
why don't they ever have pay-at-the-pump for the Diesel island???
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It depends on where you go. There's a Love's Truck Stop nearby I buy diesel from sometimes that has pay-at-the-pump for gas. But the diesel pumps don't because they are seperated.

But at a Rip Griffen truck stop I sometimes go to, they have the diesel and gas combined on one pump, which is pay-at-the-pump.

[ May 21, 2002, 07:18: Message edited by: BoSsMaN ]
TEXAS_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 07:31   #19
natescape
Veteran Member

When I was going to get chipped at a GTG in NJ last year, I pulled into a busy station on the Jersey Turnpike. The gas lines were all at least 7 cars deep. I pull past and get behind a semi and some idiot in a minivan follows me. The attendant goes up to the minivan, explains the situation, and the dufus leaves. Then he walks up to me and tells me it's a diesel pump and I have to leave. I point out that the car's a TDI and uses diesel. He shrugs and says "Ohhhhhkayyyyy".

You'd think they get enough TDIs at the Jersey Turnpike to recognize them when they pull up.

Now I fill up at a oil/kerosene/diesel place and there's almost never anyone there. The occasional truck driver that is there give me a weird look, but is usually more curious than anything. I had a kid (late teens, gawd, I'm getting old) who was there with his dad and he was totally fascinated by the TDI.

And as soon as I find a local b100 supply, I definitely won't have any more fill-up stories to tell.
natescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 11:17   #20
PackRat
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KERMA:
I happened to arrive at the only diesel pump at a particular station just before this guy with a medium-duty truck like furniture stores have. It was one of those pumps where one nozzle is diesel and the others are gas....

ANyway, I get out and am about to use my credit card on the pump and he asks me if perhaps I could use a different pump because I was at the only diesel pump and his truck takes diesel....

He looked kind of puzzled and disappointed when I told him "Yeah I know. My car is a diesel, too."

I get the same thing at truckstops sometimes, Especially at the SAPP Bros where the only diesel pumps are in the truck lanes. You gotta pick up the phone to get them to turn on the pump. The gal on the other end sometimes says "You know that's diesel fuel, hon?"

I feel like saying " Golly Gee Willikers, is that why all the Semis are here?"
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Where I fill up, there's always people filling up gasoline at the only two pumps that have diesel, and there is generally no one at the other 6 pumps. And they always give me dirty "*** are YOU waiting for" looks as they slowly meander to the cashier and slowly waddle back!

It's a pay at the pump station but nobody has figured out that pushing the "Pay at Pump" button screws up the card reader, thereby not getting to pay at the pump. It's funny watching these people repeatedly pushing the button, putting their card in before they finally select "Pay inside".

I figured out that if you simply slip your card in without pressing the "Pay at Pump" button, it works. Maybe I should leave a note!

I think I have the only TDI within a 60 mile radius, with the exception of Des Moines and maybe Ames, IA.

[ May 21, 2002, 11:20: Message edited by: Patrick M. Valdez ]
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 13:39   #21
Mad Milo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/46/38

in the 5 or 6 times i've filled up, nobody has every looked, laughed or said anything to me. But I do get some funny looks as I put on one of my rubber gloves that I "obtained" from the doc's office!

Hey, at least thelatex smell goes away after an hour!
Mad Milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 13:52   #22
DieselLover
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47, 33, 29

Quote:
When I was going to get chipped at a GTG in NJ last year, I pulled into a busy station on the Jersey Turnpike. The gas lines were all at least 7 cars deep. I pull past and get behind a semi and some idiot in a minivan follows me. The attendant goes up to the minivan, explains the situation, and the dufus leaves. Then he walks up to me and tells me it's a diesel pump and I have to leave. I point out that the car's a TDI and uses diesel. He shrugs and says "Ohhhhhkayyyyy".
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Netscape's story reminds me of a similar one.

Back during the gas "shortage" of 1979, my father was driving his 1977 Peugeot 504 diesel sedan back home from Baltimore to Long Island on I-95 (I don't recall which state he was in at the time of the story). Anyway, he stops to refuel the car. There were long lines at the gas pumps, but no-one at the diesels. So my father goes over to those pumps, only to have a sudden mob of gassers try to follow him. The attendent had to frantically wave them off and explain to them why my father was able to go to the diesel pumps, while they had to wait for gas.

Stuart
DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 13:58   #23
natescape
Veteran Member

And then the gassers have to go back to the end of the line! LOFL! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
natescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 15:19   #24
MITBeta
Veteran Member

Quote:
I had a kid (late teens, gawd, I'm getting old) who was there with his dad and he was totally fascinated by the TDI.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nate, you're talking about WPIPoet aren't you? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ May 21, 2002, 18:18: Message edited by: MITBeta ]
MITBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 17:05   #25
Tor Diesel

Fuel Economy: auto=50 MPG

I like watching my wife fill the tank. She hates to touch the nozzle (for fear of smelling like diesel all day) and is very careful not to splash. Almost like a surgical procedure. Reading about the exam gloves reminded me of that - and the fact that I keep a box of small exam gloves in the trunk all the time.

My wife claims diesel stinks. Having driven diesel for almost 15 years at work I honestly can't smell the stuff unless I splash it on myself.
Tor Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 17:20   #26
Frank M
BANNED

TDI(s): NB

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisB.:
Once at the local Amoco station, I noticed the 2 attendants were pointing and laughing as I filled up the Bug with PowerBlend. When I went in to pay, one of them said, "Just how far do you think you're going to get now that you have filled your tank with diesel." Obviously, he was thinking I should have put gas in it, but they were having too good a time enjoying my "mistake".

I smiled and said, "About 700 miles." The look on his face was priceless as he exclaimed, "You mean it IS a diesel?"
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I rate this experience #1 !!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Frank M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 17:37   #27
SteveS
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 59.6 max

Just say, "These German cars need diesel about once a month to run properly."
After telling this to one old guy in a Cadillac, he looked down his nose at me and said, "Someday, you'll be in a sorry mess if keep using that stuff."
I stole this idea from someone at this site a couple of years back, and I've used it a few times when people gawk and caution me, but I always feel like a wise a** so I'm reluctant.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2002, 04:19   #28
ChrisB.
Veteran Member

Frank:

In retrospect, my experience was a lot of fun. Wouldn't it make a great TDI commercial?
ChrisB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:15   #29
DeafBug
Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace

TDI(s): 2001 NB
Fuel Economy: numbers are good

I got several but the last one was in Indiana on the toll road service area. It was Monday morning, nice day outside. I started to pump desiel. The attendant noticed me and then started to say something over the intercom. I took a slow look around me and there was one other car at the other end of the pumps. I look at the attendant, clearly he was looking at me, continued to say something over the intercom. Of course being deaf, I don't what he said but I knew he was saying something that I was putting diesel in. I look at the other guy pumping. He started to smile at me. I don't know what he is thinking. By the time, I was done. The other guy waved at me when I was getting in the Bug. I drove off hard, making soot.

This is the first time I have been "warned" over the intercom that the attendant didn't care about shutting down the pumps. I have been shut down once or at least have someone come outside to me.

The best one I have is in Washington state. I pulled up to the pump and noticed that the pump handle was filthy and they were out of paper towels. So I proceed to a mechanic who stopped doing whatever he is doing when I pulled up (probably heard the engine sounding different,) he hand me the rag. He called to the other mechanic. So the two guys watched me filled up with diesel. As I went in to pay for it, I gave back the rag. When I came out both mechanics were still in the same spot. I looked at them and said, "Thanks again for letting use the rag." As I got in the car and started her up. My wife's window was down. As I was about to pull out, one of the mechanics yelled at my wife, "Is it a diesel?" My wife yelled back, "You bet it is."
DeafBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:49   #30
N_D_v_22101
Veteran Member

TorDiesel,

I hear that the likes of Polo and Tommy Hilfiger are coming out with their version of a new cologne! It doesn't beat a splash or two of diesel before going out to work or to the night clubs!

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
N_D_v_22101 is offline   Reply With Quote