www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:03   #1
N_D_v_22101
Veteran Member

Default Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

All-

I've got an interesting story for all 'yal.

This past w/e, when I was filling up my baby (what do you think I was talking about - duh, my Golf), a Mercedes Benz was waiting for the pump...

To make a long story short, when I was ready to pull out of the station, the guy in the Benz asked me what I was pouring into my tank, and I said it's the Power Source (or was it Power Service?). I added that it "increase cetane rating by up to 6 points....." He then replied and said that he uses the Amsoil equivalent.

He also blurted out that "your motor run so quietly"...then I laughed and pulled away, and made sure that the spool of the turbo can be heard.

Anyone with similar stories? Share'm all here!

P.S. Anyone with pros and cons of either Amsoil or Power Source (Service) products?! [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
N_D_v_22101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 07:54   #2
GotDiesel?
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 60/46/38
Default Re: Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

I've seen a couple of Mercedes owners at the stops but they haven't been very conversational.

On the other hand, quite a few Dodge/Cummins drivers have spotted the diesel nozzle going in and have asked me what kind of mileage I get.

To date, nobody has told me to stop putting diesel in my car.

I was refueling my plane two weeks ago and mentioned the diesel aircraft engines that run on Jet A and the line guy said he wanted to get a TDI. Smart fellow! I told him to check out tdiclub.com.
GotDiesel? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 09:03   #3
Nitejav
Veteran Member

TDI(s): NiteJav

Was about to fill up once, and a guy by a trans-am yelled over at me and told me it was diesel pump and not to put it my car. I told him I know and this car is a diesel car. It was a pretty funny scene he looked like a real tool in front of his gf. (she was laughing at him, and saying something about him thinking he knew a lot about cars etc) He asked what kind of milage I get and then I told him that I average about 700 to 800 miles on a tank, then he asked me how big the tank is and I told him it was around 15 gallons. Then he said he wished his got that kind of milage. He filled up got in his car and left. I was still sitting there venting so i can squeeze some more fuel in the tank.
Nitejav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 09:30   #4
manapy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57/49/35

thats happened to me a couple times. 'hay buddy thats dee-sel!'

or

'yuu shure you wanna put that there die-cell in your tank buddy?'

and yeah, for some reason all the benz drivers dont say much. tho around here it seems like every 300D or 300SD has a 75 year old woman at the helm...
manapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 10:16   #5
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

The 5 cylinder MB Diesels have such a nice sound to them. I was filling my 2001 Golf one day, and when I went inside to pay (why don't they ever have pay-at-the-pump for the Diesel island???) the kid said "I din't know they still made Mecedes Diesels." I said I wasn't too sure if they sold new MB Diesels in the US.

I didn't know the A4 Golf looked that much like a MB. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 10:41   #6
car54
theGAME

I ALWAYS get into conversations at the diesel pump! the most recent was with a 20-somthing chick driving a jacked up powerstroke! She was hot, and stated "I always come here, its cheapest and 45 cetane" [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] !! I tried to get her number, but no luck. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

When someone says "thats diesel!" I always respond "I hope so! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] "

At the big truck stops, they always talk to me about the volvo, but never about the benz. there are too many benz diesels for it to be special, i guess.
car54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 11:56   #7
RobnCar

What I seem to be getting lately is stations that have only one diesel combo pump (gas and diesel) but several gas only pumps. It never seems to fail that the gas folks will drive into an empty station and pull right up to the diesel combo pump. I just wait my turn and let them listen to that great TDI engine...
RobnCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 14:20   #8
Kyanoti
Veteran Member

In Oregon, you're not allowed to pump your own gasoline, but there's no law about diesel. So, I'm often working my own pump. Its interesting how nervous some station managers get, but what bugs me are the people who start yelling at me when I don't pump their gas. I tend to ignore them--perhaps flash a smile--until I'm ready to leave, let them know that "diesel works great in mine, you should try it sometime," and drive off. I often wonder if anybody ever takes me the wrong way...
Kyanoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 14:26   #9
N_D_v_22101
Veteran Member

Kyanoti-

Hm, I'll try that next time, I'm at a pump right in the middle of the island....I'll smile and make sure that they know there are OTHER Cars that run on diesel!

-Neil
Old May 20th, 2002, 15:33   #10
ksharrington
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

After 9/11, I was filling the Golf up at the Amoco station near the airport since we were flying out on vacation. I was having a discussion with the wife about the benefits of silence when I let the fuel nozzle overflow and spray onto my clothes. I reaked of diesel fuel and was just about to walk through airport security. On the shuttle to the terminal, everyone in the bus was telling the driver that his bus was leaking diesel. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] (I changed pants in the bathroom before checking in.)

I could just see some bomb-sniffing german shepherd chewing at my crotch as a terminal full of people starting smacking me with laptops.

-ksh
ksharrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 16:25   #11
TEXAS_TDI
BANNED

I haven't had anybody try to stop me from getting diesel, but I've had several people (especially in the Powerstrokes and Cummins) give me perplexing looks. It's like their thinking "What the hell is he doing?!" [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
TEXAS_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 16:47   #12
MITBeta
Veteran Member

Quote:
why don't they ever have pay-at-the-pump for the Diesel island???
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've seen plenty of stations with pay-at-the-pump diesel.

Personally, I don't find myself at the pumps much anymore these days since I've been running B100 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
MITBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 18:42   #13
KERMA

I happened to arrive at the only diesel pump at a particular station just before this guy with a medium-duty truck like furniture stores have. It was one of those pumps where one nozzle is diesel and the others are gas....

ANyway, I get out and am about to use my credit card on the pump and he asks me if perhaps I could use a different pump because I was at the only diesel pump and his truck takes diesel....

He looked kind of puzzled and disappointed when I told him "Yeah I know. My car is a diesel, too."

I get the same thing at truckstops sometimes, Especially at the SAPP Bros where the only diesel pumps are in the truck lanes. You gotta pick up the phone to get them to turn on the pump. The gal on the other end sometimes says "You know that's diesel fuel, hon?"

I feel like saying " Golly Gee Willikers, is that why all the Semis are here?"
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 00:13   #14
N_D_v_22101
Veteran Member

RobinCar,

I like that thought....that's why i slowly pull up/pull away from the pump.....I gots to let them hear the turbo spool my TDI!

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old May 21st, 2002, 04:42   #15
ChrisB.
Veteran Member

Once at the local Amoco station, I noticed the 2 attendants were pointing and laughing as I filled up the Bug with PowerBlend. When I went in to pay, one of them said, "Just how far do you think you're going to get now that you have filled your tank with diesel." Obviously, he was thinking I should have put gas in it, but they were having too good a time enjoying my "mistake".

I smiled and said, "About 700 miles." The look on his face was priceless as he exclaimed, "You mean it IS a diesel?"
ChrisB. is offline   Reply With Quote