www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old April 18th, 2007, 07:49   #61
LurkerMike
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: -Whitey: 38-40 mpg Hwy @ 80 mph / -Red 46 mpg Hwy @ 80 mph

The reason so many people have trouble when switching to LED bulbs is that they fail to flush all of the OEM Blinker Fluid out and replace it with the proper ether based lubricant. Light behaves as both a particle and a wave. Since LED's produce light differently than filament type vacuum bulbs, a different medium is needed for proper transference of the electro-magnetic energy that they produce in the visible spectrum.

Here is some more info about ether theory:
http://www.ldolphin.org/graps.html

The problem with Australian blinker fluids is that they use Emu oil and the Society of German Automotive Electrical Engineers is a major supporter of PETA. They require their members to add animal based oil detection and fault generation to every automotive electrical design they produce.
LurkerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 08:00   #62
lovemybug
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerMike
The problem with Australian blinker fluids is that they use Emu oil and the Society of German Automotive Electrical Engineers is a major supporter of PETA. They require their members to add animal based oil detection and fault generation to every automotive electrical design they produce.
Don't they use whale or fish oil for this in Japan?

I can't believe how much crap I can fit in this thing.
lovemybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 15:51   #63
LurkerMike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemybug
Don't they use whale or fish oil for this in Japan?
Yes, but it is synthetic Whale Oil now.

I like to add a little Neet's Foot Oil to my signal fluid. Neet's foot oil is what you wanted to run in your Hudson Hornet's wet clutch back in the days when Hudson's dominated NASCAR.
Old April 20th, 2007, 19:09   #64
LeeM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55.2/50.1/41.9

I believe that one needs to use an aether based lubricant when dealing with light.
LeeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 20:28   #65
DrewD
Veteran Member

I'm sorry if this is a repeat but this thread is rather long and I may have missed the answer to my question.

Do PD TDI's require 505.01 blinker oil or can non-505.01 blinker oil be used in PDs? I'm leaning towards using Delvac blinkeroil (505.00 rated) but heard that DBW noticed excessive turn signal stalk wear from unapproved blinker fluid use.
DrewD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 22:51   #66
lovemybug
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD
I'm sorry if this is a repeat but this thread is rather long and I may have missed the answer to my question.

Do PD TDI's require 505.01 blinker oil or can non-505.01 blinker oil be used in PDs? I'm leaning towards using Delvac blinkeroil (505.00 rated) but heard that DBW noticed excessive turn signal stalk wear from unapproved blinker fluid use.
I wouldn't know. I've got a VE TDI. I'm looking in to the Amsoil full synthetic blinkeroil for mine. According to the website, it's interchangeable as to right or left so you only need to buy one type. Some might not approve, though, because it's not listed on the VW approved list.

Old April 24th, 2007, 11:57   #67
Da8tona

I drained all my blinker fluid to see what would happen and now whenever I step on the brakes I hear this farting noise coming from all the light sockets and the bulbs have a somewhat greenish glow. No smell, but then I have sinus problems from sniffing blinker fluid. I'm not hooked or anything, however, does anyone know where I can buy a 50 gallon barrel?
Da8tona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 13:04   #68
LurkerMike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM
I believe that one needs to use an aether based lubricant when dealing with light.
dat's whut I meant...
Old April 24th, 2007, 13:06   #69
LurkerMike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da8tona
I drained all my blinker fluid to see what would happen and now whenever I step on the brakes I hear this farting noise coming from all the light sockets and the bulbs have a somewhat greenish glow. No smell, but then I have sinus problems from sniffing blinker fluid. I'm not hooked or anything, however, does anyone know where I can buy a 50 gallon barrel?
I am working on a special bio-blend made from chicken lips... but I think it's gonna take a lots of chickens to get enough chicken lips to make 50 gallons!
Old April 24th, 2007, 22:05   #70
lovemybug
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da8tona
I think that farting noise comes from using bio-blinker fluid based on bratwurst grease or bean burito residue. It may even be from sauerkraut based bio-blinker fluid too. Just a thought.

Old June 29th, 2017, 19:19   #71
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Fuel Economy: CR - 36-41, PD - 39-48 (26-32 while towing)

Does anyone know if VW 509 00 blinker fluid will work in a Mk6 TDI? My turn signals seem sluggish, and I'm hoping the lubricity in 509 00 will solve that problem.
2010 Jetta Sportwagen - Malone DSG tune, Malone Stage 3.5, CR170, buzzken 3" straight pipe(resonator deleted), PolarFIS, Panzer plate, front and rear fogs, Bosal towhitch, Bilstein B8/Neuspeed 28mm swaybar, 2micron CP3 upgrade kit
2004 Golf GLS 5MT -
Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, MFA cluster swap, dieselgeek Panzer plate and short shifter, Bosal towbar, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Hopkins short-proof trailer light converter, darkside SMIC, intake manifold, and tip pipe, PD150 airbox
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS (mom's car) - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, MFA cluster swap, Panzer Plate, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, darkside SMIC
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (mom's car) - stock for now...

Other diesels:
Ford 5900 tractor
Ford 3400 Industrial tractor
2016 Mahindra XTV (1L Kohler diesel)
pkhoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2017, 22:13   #72
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Just wake up Rip Van Winkle?
Old June 30th, 2017, 12:00   #73
740GLE
Veteran Member

509 is back wards compatible from everything I've read but I just don't trust it. Worse thing you want is a sticking blinker!
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2017, 01:25   #74
VwPassion

Real-life shows that (almost...) nothing is compatible backwards . Newer specs are for emissions tests and fuel less consumption but they not care for engine longevity . Planned obsolescence...
VwPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2017, 14:01   #75
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Fuel Economy: CR - 36-41, PD - 39-48 (26-32 while towing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Just wake up Rip Van Winkle?
I actually bought another tractor from the OP. And in our conversation, we were talking about newer muffler bearings made of a composite material, and VW's new spec of blinker fluid.

I also heard that 509 00 blinker fluid is just a repackaged headlight fluid. Can anyone else comment on this?
2010 Jetta Sportwagen - Malone DSG tune, Malone Stage 3.5, CR170, buzzken 3" straight pipe(resonator deleted), PolarFIS, Panzer plate, front and rear fogs, Bosal towhitch, Bilstein B8/Neuspeed 28mm swaybar, 2micron CP3 upgrade kit
2004 Golf GLS 5MT -
Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, MFA cluster swap, dieselgeek Panzer plate and short shifter, Bosal towbar, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Hopkins short-proof trailer light converter, darkside SMIC, intake manifold, and tip pipe, PD150 airbox
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS (mom's car) - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, MFA cluster swap, Panzer Plate, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, darkside SMIC
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (mom's car) - stock for now...

Other diesels:
Ford 5900 tractor
Ford 3400 Industrial tractor
2016 Mahindra XTV (1L Kohler diesel)
pkhoury is offline   Reply With Quote