www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old January 24th, 2001, 19:53   #31
Heinz57
Veteran Member

Default Re: be sure to use synthetic blinker fluid

Wow - what a rush. I just replaced my factory muffler bearings with Kaleco racing ones - what a difference those make. Dynoed and the white lady picked up 6-7 Hp and about 15 ft/lb of torque!!!! For six bucks twelve thirtythree it sure is a bargain. Check them out they also carry muffler bearing superlube for going around corners!!

------------------
2K Golf GL TDI
White/BLack
UPsolute Chip&Tuning box Descreened, K&N and rear fogs/euroswitch
Heinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2001, 20:37   #32
tommy37
Veteran Member

ittrad--

I don't think you should use 12 ohm blinker fluid. The resistance is too high and could cause hot flashes.
tommy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2001, 07:04   #33
Beowulf
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 59.9/50.3/35.7 (3.93/4.68/6.59)

I got a call from some guy last night trying to get me to buy 18 cases of Mobil's Delvac 12v blinker fluid.

Does the thicker viscosity of the Delvac 12v make a difference as compared to the AmSoil product?
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2001, 07:36   #34
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

The dealer is trying to put Castol Synthetic Blinker Fluid in my car, is it a true synthetic? As far as Delvac vs AmSoil,I'd stick with the Delvac unless you live in a very cold climate where the thinner AmSoil fluid will help your bulbs last longer because there will be less coldstart stress on the bulb filament.
RabbitGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2001, 08:57   #35
SoTxBill
Veteran Member

Ok after a little research here's what I found out..
1.. synthetic blinker fluid can decrease stopping distance but be sure to use high compression taillight gaskets.
2. Using dehydrated water in your radiator can save weight.
3. a compression bypass kit reduces compression,, compression causes friction, and friction reduces horsepower, therefore you can increse horsepower with my compression bypass kits.(only recommended with synthetic oil.)
4. I am currently building a high performance fuse tester.. If you want to be absoutely sure, send your fuses to me and for a nominal fee, I will put them on the tester and make sure they open at the proper current.
5. Have a few wideband power bands left in stock for those who have too narrow of a power band.
6. Next week I will be looking at Compact Disc Brakes for those who want to upgrade.
7. and for those honda and rice car owners, I still have a few burnout kits left. For 4.99 each you too can burnout.
Gotto go get some coffee now.. Later.

[This message has been edited by TexasBill (edited January 25, 2001).]
SoTxBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2001, 09:32   #36
weasel
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None.

I have a question, just what the hell is blinker fluid ?? I have heard of brake fluid before, but how is this connected to the brake lights ? Do I have this in my car ?

------------------
95 Jetta TD,2.5" exhaust, Passat rims, Eagle Talon IC w/fan for now ...
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2001, 12:42   #37
truman
Veteran Member

Electrical connections to the brake light assemblies were believed to pose a safety risk, so manufacturers have adopted a hydraulic system using blinker fluid. Methane gas has been known to accumulate in some cars due to occupant digestive disturbances. Since brake light assemblies are sealed and don't have venting to the exterior, exploding brake lenses are a known problem. Just imagine the appropriate conditions, the driver hits the brakes and kaboom you have a natural gas explosion. The brake light assemblies would become inoperable under these conditions and the driver would no longer have a means to signal his distress.
truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2001, 16:49   #38
tommy37
Veteran Member

Easy way to fix that, Truman. Drill a few holes in the lens to vent the excess light.
Old January 25th, 2001, 17:32   #39
weasel
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None.

Neat, you always learn something new here. Do I have this, or is it just an A4 thing ?

------------------
95 Jetta TD,2.5" exhaust, Passat rims, Eagle Talon IC w/fan for now ...
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2001, 18:56   #40
DZLguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 68/62/58 (Imperial)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by weasel:
Do I have this, or is it just an A4 thing
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a standard thing on all VW's. Remember though, as I discovered...make sure your dealer uses the anti-windchill formulation of blinker fluid. The standard synthetic formulas will simply gell up in the winter and they you're really in trouble.
DZLguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2001, 14:42   #41
SoTxBill
Veteran Member

be sure to rotate you lug nuts when doing your seasonal air change.

an old triumph I use to have had directional cut-outs in the hub caps that actually acted like a fan and sucked air accross the disk brakes to cool them.. but you had to remember how important is was to get the hub caps on the right way..
SoTxBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2001, 16:59   #42
Sooty
Veteran Member

VeeDubTDI, are you still using the old Summer/Winter air, I recently started to use I use AmAirs “Synthetic Air” in my tyres. It’s meant to be an all year round air, which exceeds VW specs, I believe that they used a modified version on the R-TDI rally car, I think it was called “Fresh”.

Should I be concerned? I tried to check the blinker fluid level on my car earlier today and could not find any blinking fluid.
Sooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2001, 17:43   #43
BRUSSELS BELGIAN
Old Whig

Fuel Economy: 70.6/ 51/ 38

STOP! You guys are forgetting a unique problem with B4 Passats which makes the whole "blinker fluid" issue far more complex. B4 parking light lenses are so poorly designed that sometimes they POP OUT of their retainers while driving, hanging only by their wires and banging on the fender (I am sure TOMO366 has done this) spraying blinker fluid all over the side of the car! Passat owners must then go to their "stealership" and buy (official "Autobarn" brand) blinker fluid removal kits, or even worse, have the mechanic perform the service at $65 an hour. Passat owners need to know: WHEN WILL NON-STAINING BLINKER FLUID BE DEVELOPED?
BRUSSELS BELGIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2001, 20:06   #44
tommy37
Veteran Member

Geez, are you guys behind the times. If you are still changing to snow tires every winter, and back to ordinary tires in the spring, then you have to change the air too. If you have all-season tires, they come with all-season air which does NOT need changing.
Old March 7th, 2001, 01:13   #45
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Ah yes, the blinker fluid. I changed mine last week, my blinkers work much better now.

But here's the really important question...

Have you changed your tire air from winter to summer yet? I hear that this may have been the cause of the Firestone Tire problems. You'll also need to change your tire air whenever you change climate zones (example: tropical to arid, arid to arctic, etc.).

------------------
Über-Beetle: UPsoluted 2000 Yellow New Beetle 1.9 TDI 5-speed
1987 Diamond Blue Mercedes-Benz 190D 2.5 Turbo (sold, but considering re-purchase)
------------------
TDIclub Chat Room
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote