www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old January 20th, 2001, 20:46   #16
SoTxBill
Veteran Member

Default Re: be sure to use synthetic blinker fluid

Just got my newest performance product..You might wanna try KaleCo's high performance hub caps.. A full set will conserveratively increase measured wheel rotation by a factor of 4 resulting 4 times the horsepower and torque. For additional performance I will be installing a high speed balanced steering wheel. This should really help me make the 130 mph club on the salt flats..
Next week I will be trying a new set of high perfomance spark plug wires on my tdi to help improve cold weather starting..
SoTxBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2001, 20:57   #17
SoTxBill
Veteran Member

Well I found out that the reason I am having cold starting problems is that I am probably running the wrong viscosity fuel..
Running too thin diesel fuel may also cause excessive fuel consumption..If you find that your fuel tank is slowly becoming empty after driving for a couple of week, try changing to a higher viscosity fuel. Running at higher viscosity fuel can also increase mileage. Still trying to find out how to change the spark plug wires on the tdi.. Will do dyno testing then.
Old January 20th, 2001, 23:58   #18
apotek

Do NOT, I repeat do NOT replace the spark plug wires on the TDI. It will cause the heat seaters to fail. Once that happens, all the synthetic blinker fluid in the world won't do you a bit of good. You will end up having to replace the fetzer valve or maybe even the bypass. Damn, that reminds me, where are those 30w ball bearings I had....
apotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2001, 00:29   #19
valois
Banned

Forget the fancy blinker fill. I use the conventional European sinaling method of many confusing hand signals and a plethery of obscene gestures accompanied by verbal abuse with a really cheesy fake accent. Whats a matta you?!? You dada hit you heada too mich whena you were the babino?
valois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2001, 09:47   #20
tommy37
Veteran Member

Am I the only TDI owner who thinks that just because I own a sophisticated car, I have to use sophisticated parts? Like my filters--
Filtro-Matic for $1 (1.50 Canadian) at the K-mart Budget Basement is just fine.

As for synthetic blinker fluid--it is ONLY necessary if you have solar-powered lights. Regular fluid is ok for halogen bulbs as long as you keep the halogen level up to the "Full" mark.
tommy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2001, 11:17   #21
Sun Baked GL
Veteran Member

Don't forget that the dealer is the only one with the specially calibrated equipment designed to convert fluids that come in pint/quart/gallon containers into their proper metric equivalents.

Failure to properly convert these fluids to the metric system can lead to an under/over fill situation, which can seriously damage a car designed around the metric system.

Also don't forget to take your car in to the dealer for occasional metric recalibration, since driving all those miles and putting gallons of fuel in the tank can lead to ECU confusion and decreased engine performance.

[This message has been edited by Sun Baked GL (edited January 21, 2001).]
Sun Baked GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2001, 11:40   #22
tommy37
Veteran Member

Yeah, but if I can't find a parking meter, can I park in your yard?
tommy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2001, 16:14   #23
SoTxBill
Veteran Member

I finally found out why I cant get the high performance racing spark plugs wires replaced.. After calling KaleCo, and complaining to their tech support it seems to my embarrassment that I have been using an american cresent wrench on my dub.. They informed me that this can cause serious damage and in the future I can only use a metric cresent wrench. This is sending american measurments to the ECU which is mapped for metric and also will convert either german or mexican signals in the current issue and is noted for having problems with the brazilian signaling format.
I knew right away why... You see its because in america,, is "Vee double-U" and that where the ecu gets confused.. because in spanish its pronounce vee-double-vee. Heck I bettcha those pinheads in europe even drive on the wrong side of the road.. No wonder the my vee-double-u (yes U for united states of america) is so confused. Next thing they will tell me I cant replace the distribitor cap.. Next week I will test my new homemade choke modification to aid in cold weather starting. I hear is gonna get down to 29 next week..Anyone know where I can order an metric cresent wrench,, and why you at it, how about a set of metric screwdrivers as well.
On a personal note:
Hey TS, miss your help and sanity,, hurry up and come back before I mess something up.. Bill

[This message has been edited by TexasBill (edited January 21, 2001).]
Old January 21st, 2001, 21:58   #24
carl

Texas Bill, I am shocked that you, of all people, would miss the obvious. It is neither Vee-double-U or Vee-double-vee but V-Dubya. See, back when pappy Bush was head of the CI-freakin'-A (or FB-la-di-I, I can't remember) he masterminded a bold scheme to use Brazilian ex-****s to broker illegal arms to Angolan insurgents, using fake shipments of Volkswagen parts to launder the whole deal.

The idea was to have the arms in question "captured" by-mistake-on-purpose by the communist forces (I believe black helicopters were used at this juncture). Angola was a lost cause anyway, after all. In exchange, the Kremlin secretly agreed to divert sonar data, from its nuclear submarines, of the oil-bearing ocean floors off America's coastlines to the R&D department of a big Texas oil company, which in turn agreed to employ George's notoriously incompetent son, who was finally graduating from Yale right about then because they couldn't stand to have him around any more.

I'm not sure if the shoddy quality of the covert arms brokered to Angola through VW-Brazil was a clever last-laugh by George the Elder, or just an unexpected bonus. I do know that Angolan communists' calls for warranty service met with a diabolically intricate electronic answering service that eventually dumped, no matter what button they pushed, into grotesquely expensive long-distance connections to the South Pole.

Anyway, to compensate the middlemen in this deal, the younger Bush agreed to be known henceforth as "Dubya", which everyone should know means "cabbage" in Russian (should know, but don't, because U.S. Americans are far too patriotic to learn any foreign language, least of all the enemy's). The Ruskies continue to enjoy this little joke. He also agreed to use a blind holding company headed by Dick Cheney to funnel offshore oil profits into VW-Brazil, who were so grateful that in secret internal memoranda and in the executive washroom, they now refer to the company as "V-Dubya."

I hope that clears things up.

------------------
Hey, what you lookin' at?
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2001, 00:32   #25
Ric Woodruff
BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.

Man, I would give my right testicoid for some SYNTHETIC BLINKER FLUID!!!

------------------
Ric Woodruff

"Worry gives small things a big shadow"

1998 Jetta TDI Custom Sport
Ric Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2001, 07:47   #26
SoTxBill
Veteran Member

Thanks Carl,, thant kinda clears a lotta things up.. You know, I was supicious of that dick chaney fella all along... He kept doing these little secret sulutes (you know like putting his right hand across his chest) during the parade when them other flags came by.. Especially the Brazilion flag... So maybe theres something to that.. My wife kept saying he was just checking his heart but who knows..
BTW found out that intalling the high performance hub caps can actually slow your car down... seems like I put the fronts on the rear and vice versa,, and actually had them fighting each other.. them hubcaps are scienticfically designed to roll one way only. So after I figgered it out, I got em reversed and now I really cooking.. Still wait for KaleCo to find me a high performance distribitor cap.. expect to gain at least 5 hp.. but until then I am researching a rear spoiler to push down the rear of the car at high speed to stop rear wheel spin..
On a personal note: I promise to keep this up till ts comes back.
Old January 22nd, 2001, 17:50   #27
ittrad
Veteran Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mickey:
You don't need to worry about it. The dealer changes the blinker fluid for free the first time.
-mickey
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, but I just noticed that in the manual it says you MUST use an ABA (American Blinker Association) BR1 (blink rate 1) fluid. I wouldn't use anything less than a 12 ohm fluid, and that crap that the dealer uses is not only 8 ohms, it's not even synthetic!

Jamie

ittrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2001, 19:18   #28
SoTxBill
Veteran Member

You know, with all this additional horse power,, I been thinking about how it will affect the typical tdi.. soos I have come up with a plan to maufactor at or below cost a set of wheelie bars for my jet.. Cant be a wasting horsepower on wheelies not that I'm a show-off anyways. I have got plenty of tubing off an old windmill and hay cutter but could use some ideals for wheels.. Do I really need special wheels or can I just swipe some wheels off a used shopping cart?? My son is not using his roller blades anymore.. I will be starting this project while I'm waiting for my high performance racing pedels to come in. If they give a honda 5 more horepower eating rice, just think what they'll do for the "Green Toad" with a diet of high quality # 2 Texas diesel. I dont really know the origin of the diesel fuel but we dont sell the bad stuff down here. I heard a rumor that the fuel came from either mexico, brazil or germany. Look out 130 mile club.. We'll be knocking on your door!
Old January 23rd, 2001, 09:23   #29
GotDiesel?
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 60/46/38

The dealer just changed my blinker fluid and now my CEL blinks! I think maybe they poured it in the wrong hole.
GotDiesel? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2001, 17:19   #30
SoTxBill
Veteran Member

Does anyone know how long I should make the wheelie bars for my Jet? I was thinking about 8 feet, but at that length I will have to put lights on it. And acording to motor vehicle code, I will also have to move back my License Plates. Everytime I try to call the State Trooper's office, They just laugh and hang up. I guess they just havent had any diversity training. You know the high performance hub caps are working fine now.. And I dont have to worry about getting a ticket for driving around with no hub caps..
Oh Yeah,, everyone knows its agaist the law to run around town with your nuts showing..
Next week I will be evaluating KaleCo High Performance Shift Knobs.. I expect to get at least 2 hp gain out of that..
On another note, I was disappointed that the rear spoiler did not show one single horsepower gain on the dyno run.. Musta installed it upside down.. See you Next week.