www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old October 26th, 2006, 06:56   #16
volmaniac
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf GLS
Fuel Economy: around 50 mpg
Default GC German Castrol 0w30 & D1 5w40 2002 VW Golf TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by volmaniac
GC German Castrol 0w30 8919 mi 2002 VW Golf TDI

Vehicle type: 2002 VW Golf ALH Engine
Oil type: German Castrol 0w30 batch 04026….(Green!)
Miles on vehicle: 79,045
Miles on oil: 8,919
Months on the oil: March 17 2006 – July 01 2006 (sample date)
Oil Sump volume: 4 L
Oil added: none
Air Filter: OEM paper, installed at 60,000 miles
Engine Mods: PP520 nozzles, CAT fuel filter (replaced at 60000 mi), Old Navy CCV device
Engine output: about 107 HP, 175 ft-lbs (from the nozzle supplier’s website dyno)
Fuel: first 3K D2, 3K to 5K- ulsd, 5K to 10K B99. Averaged about 48 mpg.
Driving style: daily 35 – 40 mile each way commute, mostly interstate at 0 to 80 mph (70 to 80 mph whenever possible). Climate: 40 to 95 F. I took the sample a little early since I changed the timing belt and didn't want to contaiminate the sample with the valve cover off.

Iron: 50 36 (GC-0w30 M1-5w40)
Chromium:1 2
Lead: 3 - 2
Copper: 2 - 3
Tin: 0 0
Aluminum: 3 5
Silicon: 14 5
Potassium: 0 2
Sodium: 0 3

Fuel: Neg Neg
Water: Neg Neg
Glycol: Neg Neg
Visc @ 100c: 11.9 13.2
Soot: 90 99
Oxidation: 38 47
Sulfonation: 0 0

"no problems, oil suitable for continued use"

Analysis by CAT/Thompson Machinery, Lavergne, TN.

links:

my previous uoa with M1 5w40

truman's GC 0w30 uoa thread
here is mine from another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxracer1 View Post
Wars are fought over religion, money, land, and brand of injectors for a TDI
volmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 09:04   #17
SUNRG
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 28mpg@74mph: 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by volmaniac
here is mine from another thread
what oil do you have in now? what sampling technique do you use? what oil change method?

since the Si went from 5 to 14, if it were my car, i would check the entire air intake system for leaks and consider changing the air filter out for an OEM type A with the pre-filter membrane.

note: i personally only open my airbox to change the filter, never to check it. and i do this to coincide with an oil/filter change - i.e. take oil sample to send to lab, then change air filter (and fuel filter if needed), then drive the car around the block, then change the oil. this way, any contaminants inadvertently introduced into the oil during the air and fuel filter changes are removed when the oil is drained.

cheers!

Last edited by SUNRG; October 26th, 2006 at 09:09.
SUNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:03   #18
volmaniac
Veteran Member

[voice=Roseanne Rosannadanna]

Mr. Richard Feder of Fort Lee, New Jersey writes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNRG
what oil do you have in now? what sampling technique do you use? what oil change method?

since the Si went from 5 to 14, if it were my car, i would check the entire air intake system for leaks and consider changing the air filter out for an OEM type A with the pre-filter membrane.

note: i personally only open my airbox to change the filter, never to check it. and i do this to coincide with an oil/filter change - i.e. take oil sample to send to lab, then change air filter (and fuel filter if needed), then drive the car around the block, then change the oil. this way, any contaminants inadvertently introduced into the oil during the air and fuel filter changes are removed when the oil is drained.

cheers!
ya sure gota lota questions for a guy from new jersey.

oil now is m1 5w40, about 8000 miles into this oci. for both samples, i used a new tube with a 2oz syringe to suck out of the pan through the dipstick tube, but i did not follow the official sunrg oil sampling procedures and probably was close to the bottom of the pan with the tube. i did prerinse the sample jar with oil though. i promise to follow official procedures in the future. oil change is pela 100 percent including sucking out the oil in the oil filter housing.

as for the silicon value, i am trying to follow the advice from my musical cousin carlos santana rosannadana and not panic. i had cleaned the engine in preparation of the 80k timing belt change so i may have flushed some dirt in somehow. when i resample if it is still high i will recheck the box, connections, etc. i don't open the box either except to change the oem paper filter, i pull the box intact to clean the snow screen.

Quote:

Last edited by volmaniac; October 27th, 2006 at 10:36.
Old December 11th, 2006, 11:00   #19
volmaniac
Veteran Member

Vehicle type: 2002 VW Golf ALH Engine
Oil type: Mobil 1 5w40 (previous 2 samples were german castrol 0w30 & m1 5w40)
Miles on vehicle: 89830
Miles on oil: 9910
Months on the oil: July 14 2006 to November 11 2006 (sample date)
Oil Sump volume: 4 L
Oil added: none
Air Filter: OEM paper, installed at 60,000 miles
Engine Mods: PP520 nozzles, CAT fuel filter (replaced at 60000 mi), Old Navy CCV device
Engine output: about 107 HP, 175 ft-lbs (from the nozzle supplier’s website dyno)
Fuel: first 6K B99, 6K to 105K- B20 + ulsd. Averaged about 48 mpg.
Driving style: daily 35 – 40 mile each way commute, mostly interstate at 0 to 80 mph (70 to 80 mph whenever possible). Climate: 35 to 95 F.

Sampling method: New bottle with 6 oz syringe, engine hot, new tubing inserted to depth of the dipstick for sampling with a 45 deg angled tip, rinsed sample bottle three times with engine oil then collected sample for lab (tdiclub sample spec compliant to the best of my abilities).

Iron: 29 50 36 (M1-5w40 GC-0w30 M1-5w40)
Chromium:1 1 2
Lead: 6 3 2
Copper: 3 2 3
Tin: 0 0 0
Aluminum: 2 3 5
Silicon: 3 14 5
Potassium: 2 1 2
Sodium: 0 0 3

Fuel: NoData Neg Neg
Water: Neg Neg Neg
Glycol: Neg Neg Neg
Visc @ 100c: 13.3 11.9 13.2
Soot: 126 (0.66%) 90 99
Oxidation: 47 38 47
Sulfonation: 31 0 0

"no problems, oil suitable for continued use"

Analysis by CAT/Thompson Machinery, Lavergne, TN.

the lead jumped out at me as being high, and i would have thought the soot would be lower with the ulsd and biodiesel usage.

Quote:

Last edited by volmaniac; May 15th, 2008 at 10:51.
Old December 12th, 2006, 08:05   #20
SUNRG
Veteran Member

Si looks great, wear metals are good. re: Pb - i'd wait to see if the Pb trends upward on the next UOA - my bet is that it won't. viscosity is lower than i would have expected, and soot is higher - in general these two move slowly up together - i.e. a viscosity drop and soot rise is odd.

Quote:
Sampling method: New bottle with 6 oz syringe, engine hot, new tubing inserted to depth of the dipstick for sampling with a 45 deg angled tip, rinsed sample bottle three times with engine oil then collected sample for lab (tdiclub sample spec compliant to the best of my abilities).
too funny. you obviously do a fair bit of oil sampling, so i hereby authorize you to purchase an oil sampling pump for yourself for Christmas. cost will be a measly $20-25 - it's worth it and you deserve it!

cheers!
Old December 12th, 2006, 11:46   #21
volmaniac
Veteran Member

Quote:
you obviously do a fair bit of oil sampling, so i hereby authorize you to purchase an oil sampling pump for yourself for Christmas. cost will be a measly $20-25 - it's worth it and you deserve it!

cheers!
well the golf does celebrate its third birthday this week, so maybe a fancy oil sampling pump would be a good present! (the navi i just put in was for me ).

i am a little p'od at the lab right now, they initially thought this sample was for from our v6 passat and took forever to get me the results. the lead may be due to lab error.

Dave

Quote:
Old December 12th, 2006, 13:01   #22
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

No TBN? I would think this to be a critical factor of any UOA.
JB
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 14:50   #23
SUNRG
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB05
No TBN? I would think this to be a critical factor of any UOA.
JB
TBN is becoming a non-issue (no fuel sulfur = no sulfuric acid to effect TBN). even the new oils with starting TBNs of 6-7 are showing most of that left after 10k+ OCIs...
Old December 13th, 2006, 15:59   #24
AndyH

Quote:
TBN is becoming a non-issue (no fuel sulfur = no sulfuric acid to effect TBN). even the new oils with starting TBNs of 6-7 are showing most of that left after 10k+ OCIs...
If you mean that a TDI on a 10K OCI can skip some TBN checks, I'll agree. But TBN is absolutely required for any diesel if one is heading for an extended drain interval.

The newer TDIs are more gentle than the older ones to an extent, and sulfur has decreased, but... There's still 15ppm or more in D2 - LSD will be around for awhile yet. There's also sulfur in oil, even the ACEA C3 and API CJ-4 products. And acids are still formed as oxidation and nitration increase.
AndyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 21:40   #25
Brock_from_WI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 wagon
Fuel Economy: 62/54/45

Ok, here is my last change. This time I sucked out in a clean tube and dropped that in the sample bottle. Amazing how much better it was this time without having the oil from the filter mixed in there as well I filled with ELF CRV

http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/tdi/oil-TDI-58k.pdf

Last edited by Brock_from_WI; March 24th, 2007 at 21:43.
Brock_from_WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 22:36   #26
wjdell
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: avg. 41.93 high 46.32 low 34.6

excellent DABEAR - what ever you are doing keep going. The copper - you run it hard, yes ?, still very good numbers

~ USED OIL ANALYSIS ~ http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=190958
~
1.9 PD Jetta V ~ pkg 1 ~
DSG ~ 17" VV ~ 36/34 psi ~
ULSD ~ DG-BP90 - speed 39.2
hwy/city 83% / 17% ~
elev 58 ft / temp 72 F / humidity 76% ~ MPG 48.3 / 42.8 / 35.6

wjdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 23:30   #27
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (659k miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock_from_WI
Ok, here is my last change. This time I sucked out in a clean tube and dropped that in the sample bottle. Amazing how much better it was this time without having the oil from the filter mixed in there as well I filled with ELF CRV
Excellent results, due no doubt to low soot. You should be able to stretch the next oil change to 10k-12k miles.
'03 Golf with 659k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilsteins, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Pirellis, TDT/Delvac1
Like TDICLUB? Have PAYPAL? Then thank Fred with $1 or $5 or $10 TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:25   #28
dabear95
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45+ lifetime

WJDell,

I would not say hard, but I do use the extra power in moderation. I just sent out another sample with a bit more miles, two trips with the small trailer, and one trip towing over 1,000lbs (snowmobile trailer with a 3 foot vertical surface on the front!!).

We shall see...

There is a pic in my picture folder.

Jason
Old April 2nd, 2007, 18:38   #29
dabear95
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45+ lifetime

My next sample:

Through the cold of winter
Towed the utility trailer 1400 miles
Towed snowmobile trailer 700 miles

Pretty damn good I think. It always seems to start wanting an oil change around 7,500-8K though. It's been hard to go longer since the mods beause of that...

I'm going to call the lab tomorrow and see how many miles the universal averages represent.

Jason
Old April 2nd, 2007, 19:07   #30
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (659k miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabear95
Pretty damn good I think. It always seems to start wanting an oil change around 7,500-8K though. It's been hard to go longer since the mods beause of that...
I agree, pretty damn good. I don't see any reason you can't go 10k miles or more. The soot levels are low and the viscosity is still in spec.

The universal averages are probably for Delvac 1. The additive levels are the giveaway -- I saw the Boron and thought "Delvac" and then looked at the rest and said "Yep". Even if you didn't specify Delvac on the sample, the analyst figured it out in an nanosecond.
'03 Golf with 659k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilsteins, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Pirellis, TDT/Delvac1
Like TDICLUB? Have PAYPAL? Then thank Fred with $1 or $5 or $10 TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote