www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old July 15th, 2017, 15:20   #1
Schoust
Veteran Member

Default Mk4 Bew Engine in a Mk5 Brm

I posted this up in the mk4 forum but thought I would try it here. I have a 05 Mk4 Bew engine that I would like to use in place of Mk5 Jetta Brm engine that has been destroyed do to the lack of maintainance. Will it work? If so what would need to be done to make it work? Is it worth it?
Thanks
Schoust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 16:41   #2
Rembrant
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG.

Somebody posted one of those swaps on here not all that long ago.

I know nothing about it, but it apparently has been done...at least once.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=475323
Rembrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 07:45   #3
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

I would be much easier to do a valve job on the BRM that is in the car now. Block can stay in the car too.
turbocharged798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 11:34   #4
Henrick
Veteran Member

Typically repairs and labour to repair an engine cost way more than a used/healty engine intact.

I have seen similar swaps. From the interesting ones I recall a 1.9 TDI-PD engine swap in place of 2.5 R5 TDI on a VW Transporter T5 as well as Mercedes-Benz engine into VW Crafter.
Henrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 13:16   #5
Schoust
Veteran Member

Well honestly that was my thought exactly! I have a perfectly healthy BEW engine from my son's totalled mk4 wagon that I thought would work since these engines are close in tech.
But I'm not getting any feed back at all as to if it's a tough or expensive ordeal.
Of course a valve job is easy and no doubt the preferred route if the engine had low miles, it does not.
So my thought was simply swap the two out....
I'm begining to think it's not worth the aggravation and unless I can find something or someone to tell me otherwise it looks like I'll soon have a nice healthy BEW engine for sale soon... ....
Old July 16th, 2017, 18:21   #6
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

Well they share almost no parts so everything is different, crank sensor is different, oil filter is different, ect. Could you jerry rig something together and make it work, probably. Is it easier than doing a valve job? Probably not.
turbocharged798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 10:03   #7
bobthefarmer
Veteran Member

SO, lets be clear here. An engine is a system. It is not just something that fits in a hole and work autonomously. You can't just lift out a BRM and stuff in a BEW, no matter if they fit in the hole. You need to adapt a harness, change the EEC, and work out other differences between computers which "Drive" the car. I take turbocharged798 advise as simple wisdom.

Have at it! I would not waste my time.

Last edited by bobthefarmer; July 17th, 2017 at 10:04. Reason: gramar
bobthefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 16:57   #8
Schoust
Veteran Member

I simply asked the feasibility. If it's not a feasible project and not cost efficient I won't do it. I thought this is what a forum such as this is for. I am only Familiar with the ALH and Bew platforms and not the Brm. I thought I would ask if it was doable.
It's obviously is not a practical project. Believe me though Bob if I had my mind set on this I would simply jump in a fab what isn't available.
Thanks all.