www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old June 16th, 2017, 20:32   #1
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: life time average above 50 MPG on the Jetta
Default Road Trip 2017

Please do not share on social media! Thanks..

Although late Spring is all but gone and summer is approaching, we're trying to put together another road trip "toward" Alaska.

We hope to depart Saturday morning, July 8, 2017, pulling the PopUp Camper with two Schnauzers on board. So, we have exactly three weeks to be ready. I have a long "to-do-list" that I just got started on today.

Without all the details, the biggie on the list is installing a new LUK DMF kit.

Below are a few pics in the back yard this afternoon while doing some detailing (long overdue)...

Yes, the pic below was taken a few days ago.... notice the reflection on top of the valve cover.... After almost 5 years and about 72k miles it is about as clean as day one out of the garage! (pressure washer, compressed air and a few towels [always cover the ALT]).

'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 80k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 209k miles.
AndyBees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 09:21   #2
benIV
Veteran Member

Sounds like an amazing and fantastic idea. I hope it's smooth sailing and you all have a blast!
OCD TDICLUB MEMBER #6 - 2003 TDI Mafia Member
Orville, 2003 Jetta 5m Sedan
Knurren, 2003 Jetta 5m Wagon (Golf Variant)

1974 Super Beetle Conv, 1956 Mercedes 560 SL
benIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 00:38   #3
DerekG
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Towing:26-32.6 City:34-38 Hwy:45-54.2

Awesome! I always get excited for an AndyBees trip
Old June 18th, 2017, 07:49   #4
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Ah, at the moment, the machine is in the garage with motor mounts removed and the metal return coolant pipe removed. I'm changing the location of the return coolant pipe from the expansion tank.

That metal pipe is right over the top bolt for the right motor mount bracket. I've had issues with those bolts breaking. I think it is because the bracket is not sitting flush on the bolt bosses that are cast into the block. Also, while there, I have new OE diesel motor mounts to install.

Other than installing a new LUK DMF and addressing a few minor things, I should have it road ready in a few days.
'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 80k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 209k miles.
Old June 30th, 2017, 07:27   #5
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Well, it's just a bit over one week from the planned departure. Right now, I still have a lot of work to do! The transmission is still out. Without all the details, I found several minor problems with various items that needed a lot of attention.

So, today, I'll install the trans and begin sorting out all the associated loose ends!

As we plan the itinerary, we're trying to include things we've by-passed on previous trips, particularly en route to the beginning of the Alaska Highway at Dawson City, BC, Canada! Dinosaur Provincial Park in southern Alberta, Canada looks like a good place to swing by and spend a day or two.
Old June 30th, 2017, 08:53   #6
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

You'll enjoy the dino park. I went there a few years back and was really blown away at how great the museum was laid out and the amount of information. I didn't have time to explore the area around there but would do that if there is a next time.
Old July 6th, 2017, 16:53   #7
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Update:

Well, it appears that we will not be departing until Monday, July 10th.

It's been a slow process going through the Van from Bumper to Bumper to make sure all is ready! The last couple of days, I've been working with the AC system.

I do feel we will be on the road by Monday!
Old July 6th, 2017, 19:32   #8
where2
Veteran Member

Cheering, and praying for you Andy! Sounds like a fun trip in store.
(now I just need to go back and find the accounts of your previous adventures that I see in your sig line, because I want to read what the Nova Scotia adventure was like)
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 19:59   #9
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Ah, Where2, I'm not sure if I documented the Nova Scotia trip. We attended the 2013 TDI Fest at Sunday River Resort near Bethel, Maine. On Monday morning (Labor Day) after the Fest wrapped up, we cut cross country over to the coast to visit Acadia National Park. From there, we followed the coast north to Canada and made our way to Nova Scotia (that's the short of it). My camera broke so the only photos are those taken by my wife.

It is on our bucket list to re-visit that neck of the woods again and spend more time there!
Old July 12th, 2017, 14:12   #10
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Finally, we are about an hour away from packing "stuff" for the trip.

We will be leaving tomorrow morning at or before 7:00 am.

Destination > Madison, Wisconsin or other points north....
Old July 12th, 2017, 18:55   #11
My_name_is_Rob

TDI(s): 97 Vento
Fuel Economy: 46 mpg

Happy sailing. There might be some smoke the further north you get, as there are a bunch of fires on this side of the border.
Old July 13th, 2017, 20:45   #12
AndyBees
Veteran Member

This is a tough one!

The Van AC system experienced catastrophic hose failure south of Edinburgh, Indiana. Without all the details, we went on to Edinburgh for a planned stop at an RV dealer relating to my popup camper. In their parking lot, I confirmed that the high pressure hose did give way in the area above the transmission.

So, we returned home. I am going to use a 10 day window starting tomorrow to address the issue. If I cannot repair or have it repaired (replaced is the right word) to my satisfaction, well, the Road Trip 2017 will be canceled! Otherwise, the van did really well........... nice cool 45f air with ambient pushing 100f out on the road.

Stay tuned ...
Old July 14th, 2017, 20:39   #13
1.9ZOOK
Veteran Member

TDI(s): ALH Samurai
Fuel Economy: pending

Never say never!
You'll get it going and have a great trip....
1.9ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 03:01   #14
Rembrant
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post

It is on our bucket list to re-visit that neck of the woods again and spend more time there!
Andy, I was just going to ask, when are you coming back up to Nova Scotia?

Been a little wet this year, but I can't complain much...keeps the grass green and the well full.

The Tall Ships Regatta is arriving in Halifax in a couple weeks. Kinda cool to see them all in the Harbor.

If you ever have time to make it over this way again, it's worth it to try and make it over to Newfoundland (Take the ferry from Nova Scotia). There is some cool stuff to see over there, especially when there's big icebergs hitting the beach:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ffic-1.4073428

Wife and I drove over a couple years ago to get a dog, and it was just a couple miles from where that iceberg was.
Rembrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 09:57   #15
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Well, right now, I have the entire AC system (everything) out of the Van. If I do not get it repaired and road ready over the next 8 days, we plan to scrap the intended trip back to Alaska (we have departed as late as August 4th). However, we do have the northeast in our sites! I've been privately conversing with an individual who owns property in Maine ... most generous invite.

So, Rembrant, there's a possibility we might be heading in that direction....

I found a good website for AC stuff.... coldhose.com! But, hopefully, my local source of assistance will come through for me this week!