www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old July 15th, 2017, 07:20   #271
993er
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Seriously, a clown I work with has a seven year loan on a Silverado that he drives around empty. Crew cab, of course, even though he has no "crew".
I love the last comment. LOL

I am too poor to make car payments to end up paying a few extra grand in interest. I have to pay cash for my cars.

I worked with an idiot who had nothing but ongoing car payments, from one car to the next.

So I told him, once your car is paid for, open up a spare bank account...call it your car account. Now deposit the same payments you made the last 4 or 5 years into your car account and when your car is 8 or 10 years old, you'll have enough saved up for your next car. He said he couldn't afford to do that, yet he can afford to make car payments. Duhhh...

993er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 11:09   #272
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 993er View Post

I am too poor to make car payments to end up paying a few extra grand in interest. I have to pay cash for my cars.

I worked with an idiot who had nothing but ongoing car payments, from one car to the next.

So I told him, once your car is paid for, open up a spare bank account...call it your car account. Now deposit the same payments you made the last 4 or 5 years into your car account and when your car is 8 or 10 years old, you'll have enough saved up for your next car. He said he couldn't afford to do that, yet he can afford to make car payments. Duhhh...
Duh indeed! Part of the problem is people buying way more vehicle than they really need. When I got my 2016 Golf in Aug. 2015, I really lusted for a GTI. But a base 2-door GTI was $8k more than the base 4-door Golf i got.

The Golf does everything I need a car to do. I didn't feel that the GTI gave me $8k more value, plus it I would have needed to go in hoc for it.

So I paid cash for my base non-GTI Golf and I'm extremely pleased with it; 85% of a GTI based on hp, 115% based on fuel efficiency, and 100% of the utility, even more if you factor in the two extra doors. I was able to pay cash for it with my paid-for trade in. Brand new car, zero payments.

My trick is exactly what you said. Every year, I put $4k into my tax-free savings account. At the end of 5 years, I have enough to pay cash for a new Golf, and with my trade-in value I will be able to upgrade to a Golf wagon next time.

My wife does the same. With the TDI buyback, we now have two Mk 7 Golfs in our driveway, a '16 hatch and a '17 wagon. By sticking to base models, there are zero car payments in our household.

I learned the hard way about payments. Retirement with its reduced income helped concentrate the mind.
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 11:27   #273
993er
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy View Post
By sticking to base models, there are zero car payments in our household.

I learned the hard way about payments. Retirement with its reduced income helped concentrate the mind.
I'm debt-free. Besides, I hate banks and the group that controls them and enslaves people. Also retired and loving it on nickels and dimes.

993er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 11:39   #274
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I taught my kids being in debt is a modern form of slavery. I helped them pick out their first $1k car. As above I also told them to save their money. After a few years they sold the klunker and bought a better car, cash. As their jobs improved so did their savings. They can now pay cash for most things. My oldest daughter paid cash for her home when she got out of the military. She still buys used usable items instead of the flashy new things.
Old July 18th, 2017, 07:58   #275
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:

I had a coworker that used to lease everything. Two lease payments every month. He said it was because his wife loved the new car smell. I told him he could get one of the 25 cent trees to hang from the mirror with the "new car" scent and pay the cars off.
Old July 19th, 2017, 06:25   #276
donDavide
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/45/40

Quote:
I'm debt-free. Besides, I hate banks and the group that controls them and enslaves people. Also retired and loving it on nickels and dimes.
The Group that controls them?
donDavide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 22:07   #277
Mcgink
Veteran Member

Maybe off topic but.... My loaner of today is a 3.0 liter twin turbo with 400hp.
Think I got whiplash driving to work with it. AWD is a must IMO with that kind of juice.
Mcgink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2017, 09:27   #278
DrSmile
Veteran Member

I just bought a '17 Honda CR-V for the wife with a 1.5 liter turbo, and the problems of a small turbo engine are really amplified in that big of an SUV (almost mid size) with that small of an engine. As long as you're just cruising, such as highway driving , it gets impressive mpg (33-37mpg). But as we live in a very hilly town, if we just drive around locally, it's not uncommon to get 21-22 mpg. I have to agree that these small turbo designs are there to meet the CAFE standard test, but in the real world perform rather poorly in some conditions.

I will keep driving my TDI until it dies, or something comparable comes along. Heck, maybe I'll hit the lottery and convert my house to solar with a few Powerwalls and get a Tesla Model 3.
Mod Page

ʍɐɥs pɹɐuɹǝq ǝƃɹoǝƃ
˙uɐɯ ǝlqɐuosɐǝɹun ǝɥʇ uo spuǝdǝp ssǝɹƃoɹd llɐ 'ǝɹoɟǝɹǝɥʇ ˙ɟlǝsɯıɥ oʇ plɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇdɐpɐ oʇ ƃuıʎɹʇ uı sʇsısɹǝd ǝuo ǝlqɐuosɐǝɹun ǝɥʇ ؛plɹoʍ ǝɥʇ oʇ ɟlǝsɯıɥ sʇdɐpɐ uɐɯ ǝlqɐuosɐǝɹ ǝɥʇ

Last edited by DrSmile; July 23rd, 2017 at 14:31.
DrSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2017, 12:04   #279
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
I just bought a '17 Honda CR-V for the wife with a 1.5 liter turbo, and the problems of small turbo engine are really amplified in that big of an SUV (almost mid size) with that small of an engine. As long as you're just cruising, such as highway driving , it gets impressive mpg (33-37mpg). But as we live in a very hilly town, if we just drive around locally, it's not uncommon to get 21-22 mpg. I have to agree that these small turbo designs are there to meet the CAFE standard test, but in the real world perform rather poorly in some conditions.

I will keep driving my TDI until it dies, or something comparable comes along. Heck, maybe I'll hit the lottery and convert my house to solar with a few Powerwalls and get a Tesla Model 3.
A 1.5 does seem small for a CR-V. However I live in a hilly area and in mostly rural driving on roads posted at 80-90 km/h i get very good fuel efficiency. Currently my long-term average since the MFD reset itself a few weeks ago, is a displayed 5.3 L/100 km. Factoring in the average 0.4 L/100 km optimism of the MFD, that's still a respectable 42 mpg, and is better than what my son's '05 Passat TDI gets. Yesterday my wife filled it up for me and the MFD showed 920 km range after filling, and keep in mind the Mk VII fuel tank is only 50L compared to the Mk VI and before.

No sorcery was necessary to get those numbers. Just follow speed limits, don't tailgate, anticipate lights, drive smoothly. I can't complain!
Old September 26th, 2017, 20:19   #280
Blondee
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy View Post
No sorcery was necessary to get those numbers. Just follow speed limits, don't tailgate, anticipate lights, drive smoothly. I can't complain!
Ha. Depends on one's stress level, location, disposition, and selfishness.

It seems fairly common now driving in the urban jungle where considerate drivers have their mind on one thing: driving defensively and not getting into an accident caused by aggressive drivers. Following the speed limits may cause a lot of stress, anxiety, and frustration if you're not driving with the flow of traffic.

Among one of the most common driver's pet peeves, people driving slowly in the passing lane, there's also nothing worse than someone driving a standard vehicle and they think they're driving a commercial truck and they intentionally drive far below the speed limit slowing the traffic behind them, leaving a huge gap. It's not only frustrating, but illegal. Unfortunately, there's not enough police enforcement so all one can do it just put up with it, or record the event and send it to your local police traffic office and be prepared to go to court.
Blondee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 05:10   #281
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

If I tried to follow speed limits on the Interstates around here, I would be stressed out to the point of needing medication. It is why driving my old Volkswagens, one of which is a 48hp diesel Vanagon which is probably THE slowest vehicle sold here new in the last 50 years, has become taboo on most "normal" days.

I was doing 80 on our "loop" this morning, I270, and was on the lower end of average speeds people were going. An STL county police car rolled past me... no lights or anything on... and someone was not all that far behind him doing the same speed (maybe 85?). The speed limit is 60. If anyone was doing 60 in the dark that early in the morning, they would be a hazard to everyone else, sorry to say. And I occasionally see those folks (usually a Prius), you can see them a ways back actually... because you see the constant tail lights swerving to avoid them long before you actually get up near them.
Old September 27th, 2017, 07:15   #282
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Lexus' new LS500 is following the downsizing strategy. No 5.0L V8. Just a twin-turbo 3.5L V6
Old September 27th, 2017, 11:31   #283
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondee View Post
Ha. Depends on one's stress level, location, disposition, and selfishness.

It seems fairly common now driving in the urban jungle where considerate drivers have their mind on one thing: driving defensively and not getting into an accident caused by aggressive drivers. Following the speed limits may cause a lot of stress, anxiety, and frustration if you're not driving with the flow of traffic.

Among one of the most common driver's pet peeves, people driving slowly in the passing lane, there's also nothing worse than someone driving a standard vehicle and they think they're driving a commercial truck and they intentionally drive far below the speed limit slowing the traffic behind them, leaving a huge gap. It's not only frustrating, but illegal. Unfortunately, there's not enough police enforcement so all one can do it just put up with it, or record the event and send it to your local police traffic office and be prepared to go to court.
Well I certainly don't hog the left lane. That will cause a lot of problems if attempted here. The rule though, only applies to roads with a limit of less than 80 km/h in Quebec. Trucks are governed to 105 km/h here by law, so I hang in the right lanewith the semis. I will kick it up to 120 max if I need to overtake, but then settle back to 105. On rural 2-lane roads I'll drive 80-95 depending on speed limit and road conditions. The roads are crappy enough that most sane people drive at that speed. In urban areas I try to time the traffic lights. It's fun watching the stressed out folks whizz by only to catch up to them at the next light. Only once did someone give me crap for going too slowly. He pulled up and yelled at me through his open window. Weird, as there were 4 lanes. Anyway I yelled back that the light ahead was RED, so what's the rush you fool?

I'm not responsible for other peoples' stress, only my own, and I find hanging right with the semis at 105 FAR less stressful than spending all my time in the left lane playing the cat-and-mouse that those doing 130 like to play with those doing 120. Nothing like watching two asshats whizzing by at 120 with only half a car length between them. And you know what, door to door on a drive to Montreal, going 120 over 100-105 saves on average a whopping 3 minutes (100 km drive), sometimes even less.

Around here if you do 120, maximum tolerated by the police, you have to spend most time in the left lane because of the heavy semi traffic, and invariably some jerk is on your tail wanting to do 5-10 km/h more. Tailgating is dangerous, and driving defensively means spending as little time as possible on the left, and using a short burst to 120 when safe if you must overtake.

I recognize that conditions are different in different places, but one law nobody can overcome is the law of physics. I was hit from behind by a tailgater once, $5500 damage. I learned the hard way to avoid putting myself in that position again.

Last edited by PlaneCrazy; September 27th, 2017 at 11:39.
Old September 27th, 2017, 12:44   #284
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Well we have no such governors on semi trucks. And with the state of current diesel technology, a fully loaded Volvo or Freightliner has no problem whatsoever hitting triple digit speeds on level ground. My buddy's big FL is frighteningly fast running bobtail, too. Like, so fast the manumatic MB e-shift transmission cannot hardly go through the gears fast enough. And that is the "lesser" output MB engine available. The more powerful ones, especially the uncorked DD60s are even more powerful.

I got a chuckle out of your comment about not being responsible for other peoples' stress, only your own. I agree that driving with common sense is good, but never assume that something you are or are not doing isn't causing someone else stress. I'm sure the doofuses driving around with ignorant bright lights on, and another set of fog lights on just to be cool, have no idea they are stressing people out either.

I avoid being tailgated, too. And I never tailgate anyone. Even if it means pulling over on a two lane road to let an idiot pass me, I will. No reason to tailgate me, as I am generally not ever poking along holding up any traffic.
Old September 27th, 2017, 14:18   #285
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
If I tried to follow speed limits on the Interstates around here, I would be stressed out to the point of needing medication. It is why driving my old Volkswagens, one of which is a 48hp diesel Vanagon which is probably THE slowest vehicle sold here new in the last 50 years, has become taboo on most "normal" days.

I was doing 80 on our "loop" this morning, I270, and was on the lower end of average speeds people were going. An STL county police car rolled past me... no lights or anything on... and someone was not all that far behind him doing the same speed (maybe 85?). The speed limit is 60. If anyone was doing 60 in the dark that early in the morning, they would be a hazard to everyone else, sorry to say. And I occasionally see those folks (usually a Prius), you can see them a ways back actually... because you see the constant tail lights swerving to avoid them long before you actually get up near them.
I have driven around St. Louis. Too many people don't understand the concept of keep right, pass left. Way too many left lane campers.