www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You




Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 13th, 2017, 19:57   #31
VwPassion
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Europe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Here is what you do not see, no one here said to or want to use it backward and that is what you fail to see. Stop with the Greek, Indians, and Australians that want to. I also heard everything you said. I listen well you obviously don't. 507.00 works extremely well within the engines that were spect for it. Nobody said anything to the contriary or even suggested that it be used in pre CR engines..
This is a .com forum , not a private or a .ca only . That means anything is written here its global , from Nigeria to Japan and from Greece to Chile . Anything i say its obviously for the rest planet a problem which maybe is not for you and a few rest . Not want compare the few K tdi in your area with the rest global number . 507 is a trap ,a planned obsolescence well made and it has been globally proved but you are bored to search rest forums .
As long for our little conversation i must apologize to the owner of that thread because we are both way off the main subject ,hopefully an Admin erase the off-topic . So i do stop this analysis here but if you wanna still listen a few Greeks ,open a similar to our conversation thread and i ll happily teach you a few more there .
VwPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 20:08   #32
MichaelB
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Just North of Milwaukee WI
Fuel Economy: 46-48 mpg ave. Warm weather 38-42 cold weather. 35-38 extreme cold.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VwPassion View Post
This is a .com forum , not a private or a .ca only . That means anything is written here its global , from Nigeria to Japan and from Greece to Chile . Anything i say its obviously for the rest planet a problem which maybe is not for you and a few rest . Not want compare the few K tdi in your area with the rest global number . 507 is a trap ,a planned obsolescence well made and it has been globally proved but you are bored to search rest forums .
As long for our little conversation i must apologize to the owner of that thread because we are both way off the main subject ,hopefully an Admin erase the off-topic . So i do stop this analysis here but if you wanna still listen a few Greeks ,open a similar to our conversation thread and i ll happily teach you a few more there .
Yes, you did highjack this thread from what the OP was asking and turned it into a personal vendetta against 507.00 oil with the thought that you alone were going to educate the world about the evil spec. You, not me, start your own thread and see where that goes! You can title it 507.00 is a trap. Let us see how many people from Greece, Chile, Japan, India, Australia and Nigeria respond.

Last edited by MichaelB; July 13th, 2017 at 21:45.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2017, 23:35   #33
VwPassion
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Europe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloinker View Post
..... I am going to use the Redline on my 15 TDI's I just bought unless someone has a reason not to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Yes, you did highjack this thread from what the OP was asking and turned it into a personal vendetta against 507.00 oil with the thought that you alone were going to educate the world about the evil spec. You, not me, start your own thread and see where that goes! You can title it 507.00 is a trap. Let us see how many people from Greece, Chile, Japan, India, Australia and Nigeria respond.
As you see i didn't hijack anything, i did explain the reason to not use 507 oil.And is not a personal vendetta ,i am not the only in earth that not use 507 in dpf-fitted engines.And start a new thread? For what reason?For try get more people to get the flame bigger? They can read you know w/o need to participate ...

Last edited by VwPassion; July 15th, 2017 at 05:37.
VwPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 10:06   #34
turbobrick240
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: maine
Default

Let it go. The op is looking at oils for his '15 tdi. I doubt he wants to risk losing his warranty using non specified oil- however small that risk is. The simple fact is that nobody over here is having any problems as a result of 507 oils used for 10k mile intervals. You've found a solution for a non existent problem.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 23:29   #35
New Mickey
The user formerly known as mickey
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Utah
TDI(s): 2015 Passat
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VwPassion View Post
Meet : Just covers exactly the min. req. ... Nothing more . 5 out of 10 , literally base grade .

Exceed: Passes the test but we not know how easy . 6+ out of 10 .
How much + , unknown .

Recommended : This is what manufacturers offer . Easy choice and properly pass the tests .7+ out of 10 . How much + , unknown .

Approved :The sneaky one . Approved can be the 5/10 or the 10/10 . Our choice what we ll use if not going by the book .

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...37#post5296837

(#33 post) For persons that worry too much .

I have tdi with dpf and NOT using 507 . 505/505.01 is way better for protect engine so the 30s oils are outta question for me. 40s all the way up...
Nope.

"Approved" means the manufacturer specifically approves the product and certifies that it meets requirements.

"Meets or exceeds" means the oil manufacturer SAYS it meets or exceeds, but the manufacturer of the engine isn't saying anything.

Neither means "good" or "bad."

ALL oil manufacturers use the "meets or exceeds" language for most applications because NO oil manufacturer goes to the effort and expense to obtain car manufacturer approval for all applications. It would be prohibitively expensive, and frankly silly.

I've been watching this dumb debate for decades, and to date NOBODY has ever presented a single, verified case of an engine failure due to an oil that merely "meets or exceeds" rather that has "approval." Not once. And you'd be hard pressed to find an example of an engine failure due to the use of any oil, even if it's the wrong spec. People don't keep cars that long.

"Meets or exceeds" means what it says, and says what it means. The only reason VW puts so much emphasis on 507.00, and oil manufacturers go to the effort of getting official approval, is because of all the political attention on TDIs these days. Nobody wants to take a chance, legally, so they all want to get VW on the hook. That's all there is to it. There is nothing magic about "approval" or "certification", and in the real world it's rare anyway.

Want to see just HOW rare? Take a look at the specs for any grade of Mobil 1 synthetic and see how many actual APPROVALS it has. Maybe 2 or 3. Does that mean the other 500 car types are going to blow up if you use Mobil 1? Of course not.

Another issue: If an oil manufacturer wants a contract to be an OEM supplier then they pretty much have to get "approval", or "certification", or whatever you care to call it. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

This is a non-issue. Whether it says "approved", "meets", "exceeds" or "certified" has no effect at all on your car. It's the spec that counts.

-mickey
New Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 23:33   #36
New Mickey
The user formerly known as mickey
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Utah
TDI(s): 2015 Passat
Default

I posted an example recently. Regular old Mobil 1 synthetic. Probably the most common synthetic oil in use.

It's approved by Honda, and by one of the German manufacturers (I forget which) but only in certain applications.

NO other car manufacturer approvals whatsoever. Zip. Nada. (And not VW, by the way.)

However, it has a very long list of "meets or exceeds."

Are we to conclude that Mobil 1 is junk and will ruin your Toyota, or your Volkswagen, or your Ford, or your Ferrari, or your Kia?

-mickey
New Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 23:35   #37
New Mickey
The user formerly known as mickey
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Utah
TDI(s): 2015 Passat
Default

Read your owner's manual. Use a full synthetic oil of the appropriate viscosity that "Meets and exceeds" (or "meets") the published standard. If it happens to be "approved", fine. That and five bucks will get you a cup of coffee.

Change it when you're told to change it.

Find a more interesting hobby.

Done! Problem solved.

-mickey
New Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:40   #38
VwPassion
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Europe
Default

"... And you'd be hard pressed to find an example of an engine failure due to the use of any oil, even if it's the wrong spec. People don't keep cars that long..."
"...
Does that mean the other 500 car types are going to blow up if you use Mobil 1? Of course not...."
"...
If an oil manufacturer wants a contract to be an OEM supplier then they pretty much have to get "approval", or "certification", or whatever you care to call it...."
"..
Whether it says "approved", "meets", "exceeds" or "certified" has no effect at all on your car. It's the spec that counts..."
"...
Are we to conclude that Mobil 1 is junk and will ruin your Toyota, or your Volkswagen, or your Ford, or your Ferrari, or your Kia?..."
"...
Read your owner's manual....Change it when you're told to change it...."

Just a sum of your thoughts, i didn't quote them ,it takes a lot space .
Now, my thoughts while i see yours....
Buying a car is an investment . That means for the 75% of people that want to get the most of it ,and i am sure the examples of this site agree with me.The rest can effort to get easy a car ,blow it up and next day just get repaired or get a new one .This 25% can stop reading here,it s not for them this article . Total failure is not always the result of a use of any oil but an engine can worm out up to 30% w/o able to visible inspect it and the performance will drop just a few, that few that only 15% of people will understand or care for that . The oil manufacturers need the specs for just get into dealers stores and sell their products but specs as you say is all about . If a car manufacturer say "My engine last long and people( and me as company) not care to last so long", obviously the spec that will be asked will not help engine health and longevity .Period . That s the way things are .Construction of an engine is rely to the "blood", the oil . No good oil have results that the most people still consider as "normal" while are not ,like oil consumption . What is a good oil? the one that is protect the engine .Not what is manufacturer says,they just want to sell and having troubles with engine ,makes them happy .The best way to ensure that an engine will have problems is ....to tell you to strictly follow their specs or else you are out of the...guarantee( the guarantee that ensure them that they will worm out the engine...).If not follow their specs and put a better oil even w/o their specs (which by the way we both agree that engine will not blow up ) ,you just 'ruin" their plan . So not using a spec that have a lot problems (not getting always the 507 example ,lets say the 505 vs 505.01 which a lot did that mistake ) it have a benefit for the car you own and want to keep the most . Reading the manual and change the oil and specified intervals have no use at that forum ,all push oil to its limits so manual have no use i think at that case .
VwPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Esso XD-3 PAO base stock synthetic northstar Fuels & Lubricants 1 April 18th, 2003 04:43
Group III base synthetics BrightSun Fuels & Lubricants 13 December 17th, 2002 00:53
Group III oils are Synthetic??? troy_heagy Fuels & Lubricants 16 September 21st, 2001 00:57
Alkylated naphthalene - its not a synthetic base oil Dominique Cormann Fuels & Lubricants 9 May 2nd, 2000 03:30
Listing Oils by Base Stock instead of "synthetic" GeWilli Fuels & Lubricants 8 February 12th, 2000 14:26


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.13907 seconds with 13 queries
[Output: 95.04 Kb. compressed to 83.22 Kb. by saving 11.82 Kb. (12.44%)]