www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old July 1st, 2017, 17:57   #76
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Well that explains it!
Old July 1st, 2017, 20:22   #77
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Everything comes from China anymore so nothing is forward or backward compatible.
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2017, 23:05   #78
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Fuel Economy: CR - 36-41, PD - 39-48 (26-32 while towing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Everything comes from China anymore so nothing is forward or backward compatible.
And you have to use Chinese air with Chinese tires, otherwise you void the warranty. Oddly, it seems American air is compatible with European tires, but not the other way around.
Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, MFA cluster swap, dieselgeek Panzer plate and short shifter, Bosal towbar, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Hopkins short-proof trailer light converter, darkside SMIC, intake manifold, and tip pipe, PD150 airbox
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS (mother's car) - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, MFA cluster swap, Panzer Plate, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, darkside SMIC

Other diesels:
Ford 5900 tractor
Ford 3400 Industrial tractor
2016 Mahindra XTV (1L Kohler diesel)
pkhoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 06:22   #79
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I've actually found that the air from China, Maine (my hometown)works acceptably well in Chinese tires. It does help to have a Chinese compressor though. I recommend inflating to 1776 torr when using Chinese tires.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 07:06   #80
pdq import repair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5

Back on topic. Modern blinker fluids all have a weight penalty. You can use the old British racing standard to lighten your car and thus increase horsepower to weight ratio.

The British systems even today use smoke instead of fluid. it is much lighter and faster acting than fluid based systems. Leakage can be an issue with the lighter consistency of smoke so you may have to replace the seals with proper leather ones.

I believe the chinese have come up with a simulated real leather imitation that is an exact color match to the original.
pdq import repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 07:10   #81
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq import repair View Post
I believe the chinese have come up with a simulated real leather imitation that is an exact color match to the original.
So would a simulated real leather imitation be an imitation of an imitation?
Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, MFA cluster swap, dieselgeek Panzer plate and short shifter, Bosal towbar, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Hopkins short-proof trailer light converter, darkside SMIC, intake manifold, and tip pipe, PD150 airbox
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS (mother's car) - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, MFA cluster swap, Panzer Plate, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, darkside SMIC

Other diesels:
Ford 5900 tractor
Old July 2nd, 2017, 07:15   #82
pdq import repair
Veteran Member

Yes that is the Chinese standard. Sometimes for good measure they go one imitation further in copying.

Got to admit though, color match is usually very good.
Old July 2nd, 2017, 11:27   #83
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq import repair View Post
Yes that is the Chinese standard. Sometimes for good measure they go one imitation further in copying.

Got to admit though, color match is usually very good.
Speaking of which, I heard KaleCo blinker fluid is now made in China. Can anyone confirm?

Other diesels:
Ford 5900 tractor
Old July 15th, 2017, 05:17   #84
pdq import repair
Veteran Member

Oh. I hope not. That would be a blow to enviros like me. If I remember correctly, the kale part of their name came from the using natural kale derivatives.

Synthetic stuff is desirable to many people but I prefer organic and simple. I can't get myself to use synthetic oil on my common rail even for fear of cancer risk. I stick with straight 30 weight non-detergent oil there.

I realize my cancer risk is small not living in California but, you can't be too careful anymore.