www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > West Coast Canada/USA

West Coast Canada/USA Local discussions for those on the West Coast of Canada and the US.

Old June 2nd, 2017, 12:47   #31
tdtdi98

My 98 Jetta TDI just failed recent smog check in CA. Everything was good but the amber light on the smog techs scanner -- my EGR readiness monitor is not ready and not sure why. No CEL nor DTCs (except one for a warning lamp). I've never chipped nor tuned the ECU and am a novice mechanic but was able to get it to pass 2 years ago following advice on forum (re: glow plug replacement). I read somewhere else that it could be a bad MAF but don't understand why that would not throw a CEL nor a DTC and don't want to spend $ to find out that is not the problem. Vacuum leak? Sticking EGR? I'd appreciate any advice and ideas. Thanks
tdtdi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 09:17   #32
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdtdi98 View Post
My 98 Jetta TDI just failed recent smog check in CA. Everything was good but the amber light on the smog techs scanner -- my EGR readiness monitor is not ready and not sure why. No CEL nor DTCs (except one for a warning lamp). I've never chipped nor tuned the ECU and am a novice mechanic but was able to get it to pass 2 years ago following advice on forum (re: glow plug replacement). I read somewhere else that it could be a bad MAF but don't understand why that would not throw a CEL nor a DTC and don't want to spend $ to find out that is not the problem. Vacuum leak? Sticking EGR? I'd appreciate any advice and ideas. Thanks
ECU monitors EGR by interpreting MAF flow. If actual MAF flow is higher than requested in the RPM/load range where EGR is expected to be active, ECU interprets as reduced EGR flow and will throw a DTC if deviation is great enough. If deviation is less than that threshold level, it won't throw a DTC but MAY still effect EGR readiness, but that is my speculation only; I have no proof. This all assumes that significant deviation is not present in RPM/load ranges where EGR is NOT expected to be active, which would trigger a MAF DTC.

Much less likely is the opposite scenario where MAF actual flow is less than requested in the EGR-relevant range which is interpreted as unregulated, excessive EGR and which will also trigger throw a DTC if deviation is significant enough.

I would log MAF flow requested vs. actual while driving as a starting point. If it shows some deviation at any point, clean the EGR valve seat and verify the diaphragm is intact and diaphragm vent is not plugged up.
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Chris Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 15:35   #33
tdtdi98

Thanks for the reply Chris. I'm not exactly sure how, but I got the EGR readiness monitor back to ready-state this morning and suspect your theory is correct re: MAF deviation. Between a combination of cleaning the EGR valve, cleaning the MAF sensor (which I had not done since...oh, never), fixing a vacuum leak, thinking about it from 1:30am to 4am and then following the drive cycle instructions closely, my monitor is actively running again. Hopefully it will last until the smog shop opens on Monday. I appreciate the response and insight. Respectfully, Td.
tdtdi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:37   #34
skromfols
Veteran Member

Default How to avoid smogging

Some Kalifornia counties don't require smogging except when a vehicle changes hands, and my county (Calaveras) fits into that category. I had a Malone 1.5 tune on my 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI until VW announced a factory engine management update about 18 months ago. I ignored it because I knew that it would remove my Malone tune, but when I tried to renew my registration DMV required that I get the VW update before they would renew my registration. As I expected, that eliminated my tune and cost me 30 hp and tons of torque.

I'm not going to put the tune back on the car until VW finally gets their emissions settlement corrections installed. I keep checking with VW and they keep putting me off. Hopefully it won't be too much longer, and when they complete their corrections I'll take their refund, put my Malone tune back and be a happy camper.

For anyone who has a problem with smogging their TDI you might consider contacting anyone you know who lives in one of the counties that doesn't require smogging and use their address when you register your vehicle. That will eliminate the problem until you sell the vehicle.
Old June 19th, 2017, 19:05   #35
dlai
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Up There

"For anyone who has a problem with smogging their TDI you might consider contacting anyone you know who lives in one of the counties that doesn't require smogging and use their address when you register your vehicle. That will eliminate the problem until you sell the vehicle."

Are you volunteering?

Chainless Since 4/22/09
dlai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 19:24   #36
dirtride
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf
Fuel Economy: mid to upper 40's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlai View Post
"For anyone who has a problem with smogging their TDI you might consider contacting anyone you know who lives in one of the counties that doesn't require smogging and use their address when you register your vehicle. That will eliminate the problem until you sell the vehicle."

No chance of it being that simple. The "E-****'s" are on to that old trick...

03 GOLF ~ GLS ALH EGR (turned it into a mutt)
00 F-350 ~ 7.3 PSD 4WD ZF-6 XLT LBCC (modified, not a mutt)
dirtride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 07:40   #37
pappyhat

TDI(s): 2004 Wagon

Just took my 2004 to dealer yesterday for the glow plug recall. Now they tell me they may have to replace the glow plug harness as is cracked and brittle and may be damaged when they remove the glowplugs. $500 bucks!! I told them to be very careful as I didn't have that money to spend on a "free" vw recall. I'm waiting on the decision this morning. And they also found another $2500 in repairs that should be done?? B$#*rds!!!
pappyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 11:48   #38
kooyajerms
grocery getter

Just passed smog with the 04 V10 Touareg with a tune.

Been clearing codes like crazy fixing things for the last couple months. Drove it for 4-5 days on and off and checked VCDS. readiness monitors were finally all showing pass.

Went to smog, passed without any problems.
kooyajerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2017, 19:49   #39
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyhat View Post
Just took my 2004 to dealer yesterday for the glow plug recall. Now they tell me they may have to replace the glow plug harness as is cracked and brittle and may be damaged when they remove the glowplugs. $500 bucks!! I told them to be very careful as I didn't have that money to spend on a "free" vw recall. I'm waiting on the decision this morning. And they also found another $2500 in repairs that should be done?? B$#*rds!!!
They should replace the harness as part of the recall if they wanted to be certain any problems were fixed.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2017, 10:40   #40
02AutoWag
Veteran Member

A couple more CA smog data points:
1) We just got our 2002 Wagon smogged without issue. It has Sprint 520 nozzles and a Rocketchip 2 (RC2) tune (last tune modification was sometime back in 2008/2009). Being from California, I had requested the maximum reduction in EGR, not total elimination.
2) Less than a year ago, the 2005 Golf had issues with smog. It was purchased used with a Malone 1+ tune. In order to pass, the Malone tune had to be reprogrammed due to EGR readiness monitors issues.

My conclusion:
Smog problems arise not as a result of any specific tuner, but rather in the way the tuner codes the EGR program.

Regarding the glow plug harness (a little late I know):
I have cut and crimped on many replacement harnesses without issue. Procedure listed in first post of this thread... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=79819
A 2004 glow plug harness itself should only cost ~$80 from any of our fine vendors here onsite.
FOR SALE:
1998 New Beetle (minus 5-speed trans parts)
02AutoWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 22:37   #41
Renee

TDI(s): 2004 Jetta

I am the original owner and purchased the car in Colorado in 04.
My car has never had the 28F6 glow-plug recall as I had found steel tipped glow-plugs to replace the ceramic ones. I did the work back in 2010. I remember the debacle ....

VW paid me for the new plugs....I have all the receipts and check stub (in 2011) for the recall.
The car has start/run flawlessly even in extremely cold weather. Commie CA is requiring me to go to a dealer and have that recall done so I may continue to register/drive in CA.

So my thoughts are a get another ECU match two of them for just plug and go , then let VW here do their thing and put my original back in car. then I can have one to adjust and one original.

no smog checks as I am in Calaveras ( stink weed ) county, that means I have to go to Folsom / Stockton/ or other dealer ship. not my idea of fun idea.

Anyone have issues with the flash? did they really fix the problem?

Since I have proof do you think a stop at the dealer without the car and the paperwork/proof they will just give me the orange slip to appease the bureaucrats?

Thanks for the ideas...
Renée
Renee is offline   Reply With Quote