Valve cover gasket for 2001 Jetta

redbarchetta

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, pkg 1, 5 speed
I'm looking for a valve cover gasket for my 01 Jetta (MK IV) ALH TDI motor. I called and talked to World Impex and they said the only option was to buy the entire valve cover for around 75.00.

Does anyone know a source for a valve cover gasket? I would hate to think that this is a good example of german engineering.

Thanks in advance,
Charles

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
They are correct. VW does not sell the gasket separately. There is no separate part number for it.

What's wrong with the gasket on your cover? Why are you looking for a replacement?

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Are you sure it's leaking? It could be coming from a blown EGR or spillage when adding oil. Also it only can be torqued to 6 lbs.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Are you sure it's leaking? It could be coming from a blown EGR or spillage when adding oil. Also it only can be torqued to 6 lbs.

redbarchetta

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, pkg 1, 5 speed
I'll need to check if it is leaking. Thanks for the tip. It was leaking when I got the car, so I'll need to check if the oil was spilled during oil changes.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
I'll need to check if it is leaking. Thanks for the tip. It was leaking when I got the car, so I'll need to check if the oil was spilled during oil changes.
You need to clean it up and find the real source of the oil.. the valve cover gaskets almost NEVER leak.. Ive seen as many TDI's as anybody and have not found one leaking from the VC gasket without somthing seriously wrong (missing 6 of the 7 bolts). I cannot say the same about the CCV system grommet or the oil filler cap.. those are much more likely.

Spokane Walt

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Sedan GLS TDI 5sp, 2000 Jetta 2.0 AEG Gas, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5sp (wrecked - have some parts!)
Is this still true?

Is it still true that this gasket only comes with the Valve Cover -

I find that hard to believe - poor engineering at best - Mine is torn and I need a new one. I guess I'll be stuck using some Black RTV or something like that...:mad:

Walt

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Yes it is still true.

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
Black RTV works. It also helps seal around the camshaft endcaps as there is a sharp corner there and sealing can be spotty. Just a dab will do, nothing more. If it extrudes out, you have probably used too much.