VW Winter Front Now Available for A4's!!

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
is this all about getting warm air into the intake?

would you see any benefit from a 75% block on the grill and bottom with pipe insullation or is it all or nothing?

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
This is all about helping the coolant in the rad to warm up faster since less cold air enter the front of the grille.

On mine, plugged in for 3-hrs last night, and temp. was 30 deg F. This morning, it takes only about .5 mile to move the needle from 90 deg F to the 1st dash, 115 deg F. By 1 mile the needle was at the 3rd dash, 165 deg F. Then by 1.25-1.5 mile it was reading normall at 190 deg F. So, that's roughly 1-2 mins to get full heat. I have to say the winter fronts really help to reduce the cold air entering the front grille.

Yes, pipe insulation should help as long as you leave one slat open for ventilation - air intake and IC. I would suggest the very bottom one

Last edited:

Dieselfitter

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI with DSG
'09 winter front for TDI

I made mine out of Vinyl Leatherette. I used the elastic stretch cord and bent hooks using a coat hanger. I did not want to drill any holes for snaps etc.

Mine is covered except for 2 slats on the bottom. I also covered the air intake. I noticed that the air intake has a slot on the bottom for fresh air, so starvation is not a problem.

DPF issue : Dont forget that the air entering the bottom 2 slats is cold and that with the fans running this is plenty to keep adjacent equipment close to the dpf plenty cool.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Dieselfitter said:
I made mine out of Vinyl Leatherette.
Where did you buy the Vinyl Leatherette?

CsTDI said:
hum... do the fans work any harder (not longer) because of the restriction?
My wife told me the other night, on the way home from work she got cought on a stop and go traffic jam. The temp. went right up to a balmy 80 deg F. on the MFD. The cooling fan came on as usual like during SAG traffic w/o the winter fronts. The temp. gauge never went over 190 deg F, and she kept 1/2 car length distance for ventilation. There was no issues of engine over heating. I've told her that if she saw the temp. climb up to 190+ deg F, pull over quickly and remove the duct tapes on the lower center grille.

Last edited:

Bosley

Veteran Member
TDI
06 TDI Wagon (A4)
Or as a Canadian you could get your A4 winter fronts from
www.!!!!

Edit - This link to Roseland seems to no longer work?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't know if Impex has a stock of these but we were buying them from VW and are told there are no more in North America. There may still be some at dealers, but I'm not sure. So if you find a supplier with a stock of these grab one if you want it. They may not be around for much longer. We're now looking in Europe, but cannot seem to find them there, oddly enough.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I wondered why you didn't have the product listed (I saw it came up on google). I just bought one from another vendor.

Uisge

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS Black
Winter Front Still Available at Roseland

I just bought the winter front from Roseland, along with some other parts, and was very pleased with Brian Harrison's quick response time. Ordered on Tuesday, arrived on Friday by Canada Post with free shipping. I'll definitely look to Roseland for my next purchase.

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/roseland/

eats1963

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I got mine from Peter (idparts.com) last year, and what a difference. I love them. I even kept them on all summer long, and noticed an increase in fuel economy. Even the hot summer days running the AC didn't overheat the engine. If they start to wear out, I'll use them as a template to make new ones.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I got mine from Peter (idparts.com) last year, and what a difference. I love them. I even kept them on all summer long, and noticed an increase in fuel economy. Even the hot summer days running the AC didn't overheat the engine. If they start to wear out, I'll use them as a template to make new ones.
That's good to know, because I got worried about leaving mine installed at anything over 60 degrees F out. I do know our cars have very oversized radiators, though.

--Nate

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
I personally wouldn't leave them on in the summer when AC is required. Unless you like buying new condensors..... why work your a/c system harder than necessary at the expense of ~2mpg. just my .02 though

DSL HED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta wagon DSG
Thanks for the heads-up about them being discontinued. I was going to buy from Impex this fall and realized today that they're out of stock. ECS tuning shows them as shipping in 1-3 days and 1stvwparts seems like they might still have them. I called my friendly local stealer (Prime VW) and the parts guy said the ZVW193898 part number was good, but they are indeed discontinued.
So he's special ordering 2 for me. He said the computer showed 1 in Wisconsin and 1 in Canada. So hopefully they'll show up. With sales tax it was $66.xx for two of them. So the dealer price was actually very close to the online pricing.

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
Ugh, discontinued... no good. Anyone have the measurements on these things? I will see about making a set. If it is good, maybe I will make some for others (or vendors), or just throw up some instructions.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm talking to a sailmaker today about getting these made. Watch our space...

Phantomofheat

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf Manual, 05 Passat
I do not see the point in buying one of these as it is very easy and cheap to build a better looking one. On my golf I blocked the upper from the back of the grill so you cannot see it. The lower grill I blocked completely by cutting and painting coroplast then ziptied it to the grill and slid back into place. I will try to get some pics to show.

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
I have some white coroplast sitting around, and zip ties will likely work well. Wit a good clean block, as anyone noticed better fuel economy? About 1/3 of the drag of a vehicle is the ventilation for intercooler, radiator and air intake. I would think that by blocking off most of that for the radiator, it would help out a little bit.

schultzywpg

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
toaureg
Winter Fronts.....I found the perfect ones!

I have had diesel VW products for years, and now currently have an 02 Golf TDI on veggie, a 2013 Touareg 3.0 TDi and I also have a Bimmer that I have had cold weather issues with.

2 years ago my service garage, Frank Motors in Winnipeg, started making and selling winter fronts to fit most VW's to current as I understand. The are not vinyl which I tried and hated after 2 years. Rip stop nylon, good straps with an insulation pad. Oil temps on my Touareg up to 90 C in stop and go city at -30C within 35-40 minutes. On the Golf, can use veggie at the same temps within 45 minutes stop and go city. At -40 on the highway oil temps come even faster and the heat retention when parked is amazing. On the Bimmer, no more sludge in city driving. Best of all, less fuel consumption and way better heat.. For the 80 or 90 bucks I paid, would highly recommend you contact them to see if they can supply you one. OH, machine washable so they look great every year when I put them back on!

Rowan Lyon

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon GLS 1.9 TDI BEW
Random for the warmup comments.
I set the handbrake and leave it in drive to warm up my Old '06 wagon a bit faster for when you cannot plug it in..
I do have the winter front and the coolant heater.