2001 Fuel system on a 2002

rramey0214

TDI
2002 VW Beetle 1.9TDI
Granddaughter loves her Beetle. A week ago it began to be hard to start. Watched videos on YouTube and went through this and the Beetle forums. Discussions of the fuel system seem to be few and far between. Replaced the Fuel Filter, drew fuel to it, and tried to start it - no go. I ran a fuel line with a bottle of diesel directly to the Injector Pump and the car started. The videos and parts sources cite an electric fuel pump for the 2002 TDI, so I figured that's the problem. I ordered one. Well, the module under the rear seat does not have a pump in it. It appears to be an $85 sending unit and strainer. Does the strainer really get clogged? The car was built 10/2001, so I'm figuring the IP has to draw the fuel to the tank. What a pain. Did they put an electric pump on the 2002 because the 2001 sucks (Nice, a pun)?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
All ALH engines came with just a pickup tube and level sensor for the tank. Fuel supply to the engine is solely a vacuum from a low. Pressure pump built into the injection pump.

It's a common mod to put an electric lift pump in tank from the next generation diesels in these cars, but really isn't necessary for a stock engine.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
When you replaced the fuel filter did you pre-fill it with diesel or additive? If not the pump will suck air and it can't pull fuel through the filter if there's air in the system.

If you didn't pre-fill the filter, take the tee off and fill it, then use a vacuum pump to pull fuel into the pump. The car will probably start OK then.

Regarding the hard starting, usually that's a glow plug issue. Is your check engine light on? If it is find out what the stored fault codes are, keeping in mind you may now have a bunch of erroneous codes there because you the starting attempts after the fuel filter replacement. Best idea would be to get the car running, clear the codes, and then see what codes, if any, reappear. You may find you need a glow plug or plugs, or a harness, or both. Or a coolant temperature sensor. These are common reasons for a hard start when it's cold.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
If it's not to late scan for codes before you clear them.
Jot the codes down so you can compare with later.