2 old diesels no start in cold wx

dieselicious

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI,1999 NB TDI, 1998 NB TDI
I have a 1998 and 1999 NB tdis that wont start.
Both have fuel treatment for ‘gel-ing’ and goodbatteries.
Not sure if this is just an old diesel thing or whatever. New glowplugs in one vehicle.
Any suggestions?
Wx is cold - minus 7 F this morning

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Maybe try compression... They shouldn't have struggle too much to start in those temps.. Or make sure you have fuel all the way to the injection pump and that it didn't bleed back.
You said you have anti gelling addative, was it put in then the car ran? Just want to make sure said addative made its way into the fuel filter too.

dieselicious

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes. The additive was in both and run.
My guess is compression too, but i haven’t checked. Both engines have about 240k miles

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Some of the tdi’s have the glow plug cycle time set down to 3 seconds or less, if yours are, cycle them through two times turning ignition off and then back on before starting. This time can be increased using vcds.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Car should start fine in this weather. Ours did. I suspect you've got bad glow plugs or a failed harness/relay. These cars start pretty well without the glow plugs until it gets really cold.

Also, NBs of your years need to crank at 300 RPM before they'll deliver fuel. It could be your starter/battery just isn't quite strong enough to get to that speed in this weather.

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Car should start fine in this weather. Ours did. I suspect you've got bad glow plugs or a failed harness/relay. These cars start pretty well without the glow plugs until it gets really cold.

Also, NBs of your years need to crank at 300 RPM before they'll deliver fuel. It could be your starter/battery just isn't quite strong enough to get to that speed in this weather.

At -7 F?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Absolutely I've seen other guys on these forums as of recent having no problem with temps as far down as -9°F

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Thought you were implying that was possible without glow plug heating.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I have a 1998 and 1999 NB tdis that wont start.
Both have fuel treatment for ‘gel-ing’ and goodbatteries.
Not sure if this is just an old diesel thing or whatever. New glowplugs in one vehicle.
Any suggestions?
Wx is cold - minus 7 F this morning
What does it do, slow crank, decent crank no ignition or?
Even at a balmy -7 these cars (and 20 years) can be hard to start if everything's not in good nik.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Mine was tough this morning, I think I need new glow plugs, and my battery wasn't turning it over as quickly either. Ended up rolling it down the hill to get it running.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
If you cannot make minimum cranking RPM it will not fire. The keys there in very cold weather are (1) good battery that can deliver the current, (2) clean, good condition connections (main battery positive to starter and ground) and (3) a starter that can actually consume the current and use it to spin the engine. The latter two are often where the issue lies when it gets REALLY nasty-cold out (like the last couple of days.)

dieselicious

Veteran Member
TDI
I forgot about the trick of cycling the glowplugs.
Turned the key on/off 5 times without cranking yesterday when I got home with my daughter observing.
On the 6th cycle, I cranked the engine and it fired....a bit of a shudder, but started up fine. The glow plug light was on a good 15-20 seconds in the 2 deg F temps we had.

I don't drive these vehicles anymore. My daughter left later than I for work so I didn't observe her starting 'process' in the morning.

Sold 2 diesels back to the dealer as a result of the emissions scandal. Since I don't drive them anymore, it is easy to forget the diesel tricks!
Thanks for the reminder!

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
It is possible to increase glow plug heat up time without cycling with vcds. Mine is about 5 to 6 seconds which I think could handle almost any temp.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
On my BEW, the pre-glow lasts ~23 seconds although the light goes out after six seconds. I see no need to cycle on and off; just wait about 15 seconds or more.