Glow plug with stripped/rounded threads

timsch

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Mk4 Jetta (blue), 2003 Mk4 Jetta (black), 2011 Mk6 Jetta, all manuals
I finally got a stuck glow plug removed after letting it soak with some penetrant for a couple of months now. I was gentle with the torque for removal. The threads are not good. I never noticed a problem with the compression, just based on the way it ran. I don't know what the threads in the head look like. I tried to gently thread a good GP in and it wouldn't go too far.

I'd like to try chasing the thread with a tap. Can someone verify the thread - is it 10 x1 mm?

Any tips on how to most safely approach this will be most appreciated. Thanks.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
You want to try cleaning the threads before going to a very aggressive tapping. Once you know the threads are clean (11mm brass brush works well) then try threading again. And use carb cleaner as your "soap"
The link above to Franko6's thread is excellent. You might be able to get away with just chasing the threads vs. an insert.

timsch

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Mk4 Jetta (blue), 2003 Mk4 Jetta (black), 2011 Mk6 Jetta, all manuals
Last edited:

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
The back-tap I got from NAPA looked like that but it wasn't shiny chinesium. It was gunmetal grey and it was $80! But it was good steel.

I figured better to have this tool than pay a guy to use his for the same price lol