Additives

ctennyson

TDI
2010 Jetta
Are there any additives I should be adding to my fuel when I fill the tank ?

I dont normally add anything, is that good or bad ?

Thanks
C

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
Do you have a Touareg now and/or Jetta?

I have both too (TDIs)... once in a while I use PowerService (silver) maybe every 5th or 6th tank.

edit: this really should be in the Fuels & Lubricants section unless you're asking specifically for a Touareg.

Last edited:

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
ive been using hot shots secret they make some nice stuff very pleased....use to use powerservice

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
I occasionally add Power Service during severe cold, but in my 17 years of owning TDI's have never had a fuel Gelling issue.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I'm on my 2nd TREG and have used PS Grey from day one. Reason is ULSD has very low lubricity because of the reduced sulfur. Many diesels have had HPFP issues especially the 2.0 TDI because of this fuel. There are a number of good additives that address this potential issue. It is a cheap insurance policy. In winter,especially extreme cold use a Power service white bottle to avoid the problem.

It's all up to the owner . Makes me feel better LOL

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I occasionally add Power Service during severe cold, but in my 17 years of owning TDI's have never had a fuel Gelling issue.

Our 2014 Treg had gelled fuel last winter. I'll be more diligent about adding something this winter. I've used Standyne, Power Service, Optilube. I have no clue if any were better than others, but I find that Power Service is the easiest to find locally so that is what I'll use next time I need to buy some. I'm currently working through a bunch of Standyne that a friend gave me after the buyback.

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
On my 2012 CR 2.0TDI in 100K miles I used Conklin fuel additive somewhat diligently. It gave me piece of mind whether it was needed or not.

Plan to get a gallon through my friend that is a dealer of it for the "new to me" 2013 Touareg

DieselSport15

TDI
2015 Sportwagen SEL, 2014 Touareg Exec.
I've been using Stanadyne for probably 15 tanks... don't know if I see if huge difference or not. Trying shot of Archoil in my next few tanks.

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
I've not used any of these product since owning my TDI and have never had a gel issue ever. I have owned it since new and all I use it Lucas fuel service cleaner. I think it matters where you purchase your fuel from also. If it is not a place that sells a lot of diesel who knows what condition their tank is in and what you are getting.

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I've not used any of these product since owning my TDI and have never had a gel issue ever. I have owned it since new and all I use it Lucas fuel service cleaner. I think it matters where you purchase your fuel from also. If it is not a place that sells a lot of diesel who knows what condition their tank is in and what you are getting.
I can somewhat agree with this. When I had my TDI wagon and commuted I filled up at the same station 90% of the time and the workers there claimed their diesel doesn't need any anti gel added as theirs is already guaranteed down to XX degrees. I never had issues, granted I used that Conklin listed in a previous post, but that was mainly to lube the pump and injectors. Needed? Unsure really. I have yet to do anything to my Treg in the short time I have owned it

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
Not Concerned to much about the fuel always buy at reliable places but the fuel pumps on these cars tend to go bad from what I understand could be from lubrication and water so adding the additive could help with this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Not Concerned to much about the fuel always buy at reliable places but the fuel pumps on these cars tend to go bad from what I understand could be from lubrication and water so adding the additive could help with this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have had mine since new and have almost 100K on it and original fuel pump.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
There are 2 issues with additives, 1.fuel gelling in sub freezing weather and 2. fuel pump issues with lubricity . Most northern fuel is treated after a certain date for anti gelling,so unless you are in extreme conditions like sub zero for a long time you are probably ok. The lubricity is always an issue,so you can be lucky and not have a problem or buy insurance like the additives mentioned an hopefully no blow up the HPFP. I prefer insurance myself. 3 TDIs and no issues for the past 10yrs.