Wiring HELP - Westfalia VW Trailer Hitch

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Wiring HELP - Westfalia VW Trailer Hitch - PF Jones

I am finishing the wiring and there is an extra connector (the white plug two wires, one ground. Did I get the wrong harness?

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Looks like both of us are having some PFjones issues. What's the part number on your box?

Sandmansans thinks there's no difference between LHD AND RHD, just the coding issue, but I'm still stalling.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
The white plug doesn't go into the control box.

The white plug is only there on the 13 pin, but the instructions just show it hanging there.

PM me your email address and I can get you a pin out diagram for the module. It doesn't show what to do with the white plug though.

The right hand drive models do have different part numbers, but I'm not sure what is really different. Could just be the picks in the instructions or cable length.

Last edited:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
It is for the power to the trailer. I would have switched +12 V and could be from the aux power plug in the rear.
The 13 pin has constant power and switched power and this is one of those.
If you are converting to a 7 pin trailer plug then it would be the trailer power.
If a 4 pin then no need to worry.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
WOW you guys are awesome.... :D
The right hand drive models do have different part numbers, but I'm not sure what is really different. Could just be the
picks in the instructions or cable length.
PF Jones, is pretty sharp and I made clear I was US LH drive. They had to order it and delay shipping.

Looks like both of us are having some PFjones issues. What's the part number on your box?
Sandmansans thinks there's no difference between LHD AND RHD, just the coding issue, but I'm still stalling.
The one I bought is Volkswagen Golf VI Dedicated Electrics: 13 Pin
All Models Sep 2008 on 321600300153 (the other ones with 13 pins were for Golf 7 or Golf 2003 on.
It is used for something called Dauerplus in Westfalia parlance. Here's an example.
https://www.rameder.eu/universal-extension-set-for-continuous-powersupply-charging-line-and-earth-107649.html
You can leave it empty.
It is for the power to the trailer. I would have switched +12 V and could be from the aux power plug in the rear.
The 13 pin has constant power and switched power and this is one of those.
If you are converting to a 7 pin trailer plug then it would be the trailer power.
If a 4 pin then no need to worry,
I agree Gents, the 13 pin socket has a Pin 9, "permanent live" or Pin 10 (battery charge/frig). I am sure if I test the
hot wire in that white plug (the other is brown ground), it will lead to pin 9 or 10.

THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S HELP>>>>>HAPPY NEW YEARS!!! :D

Last edited:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
The "hot" wire goes to the trailer plug and is not "hot", but rather where you would plug it into a cable that went to the power source. The easiest to get to is the aux power in the back or as I did I ran separate wires to the front along with the module harness for the power and the brake controller.
I tapped off the battery with a circuit breaker for the brake controller which had to stay hot with the ignition odd to retain the programming. I added a second breaker and a cut down relay that was switched by a fuse tap in the fuse panel by the driver's door to switch the relay on with the ignition for the trailer power. That was to prevent the trailer from draining the car's battery if left connected.
No need to power the plug is you are replacing the 13 pin connector with a US 7 pin, just take the power directly to the socket.
I have a write up somewhere on the forum on this.
I also used the trailer power the airlift compressor I installed in the left side rear compartment.
I used the compressor to level the car and trailer when hooked up.
Since I did not have the trailer module that was compatible with the NAR programming I had to do some more wiring tricks to fool the car with and without the trailer.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
The "hot" wire goes to the trailer plug and is not "hot", but rather where you would plug it into a cable that went to the power source. The easiest to get to is the aux power in the back or as I did I ran separate wires to the front along with the module harness for the power and the brake controller. for the trailer power. That was to prevent the trailer from draining the car's battery if left connected.
Great advice. I'm going to connect to those two wires and just run them for future use. I do fancy the idea of a little micro mini travel trailer. However my main mission is going to be a utility trailer just to haul things or motor sport toys.

I see now in the instructions where it shows accessory wire kit pn 300 028 300 113 on back cover of booklet. The instructions are so generic to many midels, and in a pictorial hieroglyphic no text format, it's really kind of hard to follow. They were trying to avoid using language, since the instructions that are in text, are in 15 languages. English instructions GB for Great Britain.

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
That plug is definitely for hooking up the accessory kit. Harness plugs into there and leaves a black connector behind. The rest of the wiring gets fished to the battery for full 12v and an orange wire meant for IGN(will figure out where to tap in for this) .

When you ordered your kit from pfjones did they not automatically include 300 028 300 113 with the 13 pin kit? My large box had the towbar, gooseneck, one box for the module and one box for the accessory kit . I went ahead and installed the kit btw excess feet of wire and all. . Vwleadfoots thread left a lot To the imagination for someone who hasn't pulled the mk6 interior before. I should have looked that online Erick jaeger manual. Much better for the fishing of wiring to the driver side than the westfalia manual. Sandmansans rosstech thread was also much more useful had I focused on his write up instead of GJas18's. If I hadn't gotten in trouble for leaving the kids with the wife for all of New Year's Eve I may have been able to join them all together.

I'll update the other thread when I have the time to get recoding done. I haven't atttached to the trailer to see if everything is proper. In the rush to finish before the evening I forgot to throw down an extra wire for the future brake controller. I hope I can find use pin10s aux line somehow.... New Years is here. See ya in the dog house.

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
When you ordered your kit from pfjones did they not automatically include 300 028 300 113 with the 13 pin kit? My large box had the towbar, gooseneck, one box for the module and one box for the accessory kit.
Negative. I ordered the gooseneck hitch and wiring ala carte, no aux wiring included. Did not know about the 12v accessory. Not complaining. It was a bargain. My guess is you paid for it.
I should have looked that online Erick jaeger manual
I just looked it up, yep it is a little clearer. http://en.erich-jaeger.de/products/...artikel/13p-12v-wire-harness-iso-11446-748875
Vwleadfoots thread left a lot To the imagination for someone who hasn't pulled the mk6 interior before. I should have looked that online Erick jaeger manual. Much better for the fishing of wiring to the driver side than the Westfalia manual.
Yep, agree, I just put my interior back together. It was a learning experience. Part of the "fun" is learning and pushing your comfort zone. My Bentley VW Jetta 2005-2010 A5 (Includes Jetta Sportwagen aka "Golf Variant", Gas and TDI) helped with interior panel removal. I supplemented that with some YouTube videos and forum posts. My fear was breaking interior parts. I was able to get it back together without damage.

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Everything good to go? My NAR coding isn't being accepted in the trailer module. If you haven't plugged the panel and bcm back in, if you could take a picture of what you finished with behind the fuse block, it would be appreciated. GJas18's pictures only showed the three red, red/blue red/black. I think that's where I may have gotten confused. the bcm I'm pretty sure we got right

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
If you have the module that is non adaptable (perhaps left hand drive euro?) you might be interested in this thread.
There are VW (Westfalia) modules that are adaptable for ROW or NAR and there are left hand modules (Westfalia and others) that are not. They will give a note in VCDS that you have to see the manufacturer's data etc.
These often do not need adaptation to "turn on" but cannot be adapted to two wire from three. That is separate turn and brake lights with stop light to combined brake/turn and stop.
If you look I used a combiner to power the trailer lights, but the this complicates the trailer detect of the module.
You are good if you have the module with adaptability, otherwise you are on the path I was