Replaced crank seal, leaking.., also possible crank wobble? balancer?

Kristofk

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI
Hi,

So I did a timing belt, crank seal, and oil pan reseal last weekend.

Went under the car and checked for leaks, and sure enough found oil dripping from timing belt area.

I took balancer off and ran the engine and verified that the crank seal is leaking.

I did not use official vw tool for seal install, I used the old seal plus the crank bolt and pushed it in carefully. Of course, I used the plastic cup they provided in the box to slip the seal onto the crank.

Interesting note, on the the seal's box there is a picture showing to turn the seal 3 hours clockwise. Can anyone clarify on this?

Here are the youtube videos:
http://youtu.be/11INjfTjhbA -Crank sprocket
http://youtu.be/4BYN5aeoCAw -harmonic balancer before TB change.
I will make new one after TB change. But need to replace crank seal again. So I make new one after 2nd seal change.

When should the balancer be replaced by the way?
Now, I dont see much vibration in the tensioner, so I dont want to spend $ on a new balancer and just keep driving.

170k miles on engine and chassis.

The only thing Ive noticed is the sprocket clockwise to counterclockwise "slack" on the D shaped crank. I would estimate a little less than 1mm either way. But, crank looked in perfect condition. Only noticed the sprocket had some minor wear towards the ends of the flat.

As far as the wobble is concerned. I am thinking the crank bolt is not perfectly true, thus the visual illusion the whole sprocket is not true. But I made a mark on the aluminum and turned crank by hand, and all the teeth fit right under the mark the same.

Please, share your thoughts. I appreciate it.

Thank you,
Kristof

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Is it one of those new-fangled teflon seals that you are supposed to install dry and did you?

Mavrick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
I've installed Teflon seals with grease. Still works. Never let it sit for more than 1 hour. Still works.

Did you inspect the crank, and did you sand where the seal rides?

How many KM on this engine?

I have never replaced a balancer in a TDI. They are not prone to failure.

Kristofk

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI
Is it one of those new-fangled teflon seals that you are supposed to install dry and did you?
Oh hey, Lompoc. Awesome. I was actually going to go to Solvang next weekend. But, might have to cancel. This seal is leaking pretty bad.

Yes,

New teflon seal. Installed dry. Cleaned crank with brake cleaner.

170k miles on engine and chassis.

The only thing Ive noticed is the sprocket clockwise to counterclockwise "slack" on the D shaped crank. I would estimate a little less than 1mm either way. But, crank looked in perfect condition. Only noticed the sprocket had some minor wear towards the ends of the flat.

As far as the wobble is concerned. I am thinking the crank bolt is not perfectly true, thus the visual illusion the whole sprocket is not true. But I made a mark on the aluminum and turned crank by hand, and all the teeth fit right under the mark the same.

Last edited:

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
replace the crank sprocket and make sure is good and tight with a new bolt of course
don't bother with the balancer , what could wrong with it ?

do use another Teflon seal

Kristofk

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI
replace the crank sprocket and make sure is good and tight with a new bolt of course
don't bother with the balancer , what could wrong with it ?

do use another Teflon seal
Why replace crank sprocket? I mean that is money to replace. I couldn't find a specification anywhere for the maximum allowed slop.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Why replace crank sprocket? I mean that is money to replace. I couldn't find a specification anywhere for the maximum allowed slop.
there shouldn't be any "slop" and if there is it will only get bigger

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
When is the slop present in the crank? If it's when just holding it up to the crank and not having the bolt tight, it's normal and I have documented the same on here. As soon as it's torqued to the initial setting (not the 90° additional) it'll lock itself into place.

Last edited:

Kristofk

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI
When is the slop present in the crank? If it's when just holding it up to the crank and not having the bolt tight, it's normal and I have documented the same on here. As soon as it's torqued to the initial setting (not the 90° additional) it'll lock itself into place.
Well that's a relief, but how do you know its normal?

And what do you recommend for cleaning the crank for new seal?

Just brake cleaner or slight polishing with very fine steel wool or something of the sort?

The hardware + shipping is so darn expensive.