Electric Steering Swap

pyroom

TDI
Jetta
Has anyone done such a swap? I know the electric steering rack from the newer Jetta's will not bolt to our sub-frame. Is it possible the new aluminum sub-frame will bolt into our Jetta? It doesn't look like it will but if anyone knows for sure that would be great.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Way too different underneath. The other problem you would run into, is that the architecture of the electronic systems in the vehicle is really, really different. The electric power steering system doesn't operate stand-alone in isolation from the rest of the vehicle the way a hydraulic system more-or-less does.

pyroom

TDI
Jetta
Thanks. The electric unit missed the bolts on the sub-frame by half an inch, dang. Even if it did line up, the old sub-frame would never clear the electric motor height-wise. I've already got the electrical sorted out and the rack works great. I tried the aluminum sub-frame from the new Jetta and it doesn't even come close. I'm just doing a custom sub-frame now.

Dorkage

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Wagon TDI, 2004 Golf R32
I am interested in the electronics side of this. Does the New Beetle with a 2.5L use electric power steering? Are the subframes still similar to the MK4?

Last edited:

sergey75

TDI
jetta
Swapping

You cannot bolt it in the jetta. You will just waste your time doing it because it is not very fit to attach it in the steering rack.

krousej

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
To swap a CR140 into an MK4 chassis; obviously....
What ever became of this project?
Got pics?

krousej

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
PYROOM has not replied to my p.m.
Anybody else out there have the electronics portion figured out?