Stainless Steel Rotors

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
Most of my brakes get replaced because of rust damage. I've seen stainless rotors around and wondered if anyone had ever used them.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Are you saying the brake pads are damaged due to rust or are you saying the rotors are rusting?

Is this a daily driver or is it a car that is not driven for periods of time?

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Rust damage? LMFAO. Rotors rust naturally anytime they get wet.

They're cast iron for a reason, trying out stainless rotors is laughable and only a good way to lighten your wallet.

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
Are you saying the brake pads are damaged due to rust or are you saying the rotors are rusting?

Is this a daily driver or is it a car that is not driven for periods of time?
Not just this car, just about any car I ever owned. The car is garaged. I drive this car about 200 miles a week. Usually replace the front and back brake pads on my cars around 100K.

The rotors rust to the point of needing replacement.

I don't tailgate, downshift to slow down, drive about 75% highway and almost never use my brakes. Still it is nice to know they are there if I ever need them.

And yes, when the rust gets bad enough it damages the pads.

Last edited:

Bush Hopper

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
97 Eurovan, 2001 Jetta and a few other
Not just this car, just about any car I ever owned. The car is garaged. I drive this car about 200 miles a week. Usually replace the front and back brake pads on my cars around 100K.

The rotors rust to the point of needing replacement.

I don't tailgate, downshift to slow down, drive about 75% highway and almost never use my brakes. Still it is nice to know they are there if I ever need them.

brakes are designed to be used. Maybe if you start using your brakes, they would be in much better condition.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf

Use the brakes more. Problem solved!

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
brakes are designed to be used. Maybe if you start using your brakes, they would be in much better condition.
I can't figure out why drivers ahead of me hit their brakes most of the time. I suppose they are just performing "maintenance braking" ?

The idea of maintenance braking just seems silly to me. Better to get rotors that perform under my driving conditions.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I'm not a fan of slotted/drilled, etc. but a solid rotor w/the same surface treatment... I'd be all over them. What I've done before is pull the rotors and ceramic/engine paint them. It takes some time but really improves the look and maintenance when done.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Pat, how does the coating work if as soon as you use the brakes, the coating has been worn off? Not being facetious, I'm really wondering.

Bush Hopper

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
97 Eurovan, 2001 Jetta and a few other
I'm not a fan of slotted/drilled, etc. but a solid rotor w/the same surface treatment... I'd be all over them. What I've done before is pull the rotors and ceramic/engine paint them. It takes some time but really improves the look and maintenance when done.
Did you forget about heat dissipation? Paint will prevent proper cooling of the rotor, risking warping the rotors. Slotted/drilled rotors can release heat much more efficiently.

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
I can't figure out why drivers ahead of me hit their brakes most of the time. I suppose they are just performing "maintenance braking" ?

The idea of maintenance braking just seems silly to me. Better to get rotors that perform under my driving conditions.
I drive 130 km every day, and of course, I don't worry about my rotors rusting. However, if I wash my car, I make a point of taking it around the block and using the brakes "needlessly" just to wipe the water off the rotors and warm them up to dry them off. When I don't do that, they rust quite a bit overnight.

Perhaps need to need to also think of your brake calipers as "water wipers/rotor warmers" for your brakes just before you park it for the night.

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
Pat, how does the coating work if as soon as you use the brakes, the coating has been worn off? Not being facetious, I'm really wondering.
At the very least it would protect the surfaces that were not subjected to the friction of the brake pads. In theory one would think the friction of the pads would keep the rest of the rotor relatively rust free.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I'm presuming the coating wears off in the pad area without pad damage. Cooking paint off, on the other hand, will definitely gum your pads up. As every brake application wipes those areas clean, a little temporary surface rust is self maintaining. All the other areas, however, should remain rust free and easy to clean.

My rotors look pretty bad right now, rusted everywhere they can. Not serious, deep rust but unsightly for sure. I'm debating replace them with something coated (I liked the black ones) or paint mine up. If I paint, it goes without saying, I am not talking about the pad area but everything else.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Who offers stainless rotors for a VW?

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I've been doing a little searching and not seeing many (if any) options for ss rotors. Where are you seeing them?

Edit: Hahaha, beat me to it... I need to refresh my browser more often I guess.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
whats funny is the company call SS brakes doesn't sell ss brake rotors. LOL

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
You should be replacing the rotors anytime you replace the pads.
No way. Unless you are using high mileage pads (crap IMHO), you should get at least 2 sets of pads per rotor change, 3 if you use higher performance pads, this rule has proved consistent for my Mercedes, BMW, Mazda, and VW's. There is no guessing to this, measuring with calipers will tell you when to change your rotors, aside from normal erosion of rotor material, the only thing that might cause replacement sooner is the occasional warping or scoring of a rotor.

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
I'm presuming the coating wears off in the pad area without pad damage. Cooking paint off, on the other hand, will definitely gum your pads up. As every brake application wipes those areas clean, a little temporary surface rust is self maintaining. All the other areas, however, should remain rust free and easy to clean.

My rotors look pretty bad right now, rusted everywhere they can. Not serious, deep rust but unsightly for sure. I'm debating replace them with something coated (I liked the black ones) or paint mine up. If I paint, it goes without saying, I am not talking about the pad area but everything else.
Well I understand the need for the rest of the rotor, but the pad area is what I thought we were talking about here.

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
I would stay away, like far away from cross drilled or even slotted rotors for daily drivers. If you wan't to upgrade I would go with TT rotors and ECS Porsche calipers.

Still doesn't solve the rust issue but it will yield more exciting results thus you using the brakes more:D.
I find going much more exciting that stopping;)

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
No way. Unless you are using high mileage pads (crap IMHO), you should get at least 2 sets of pads per rotor change, … .

I have seen too many problems with reusing the rotors. Rotors are not that expensive and while you have everything apart, you might as well replace them. Modern rotors may well make that second set of pads, but they may not. If you resurface them your cost is only a little more than simply replacing them.

Personally I would prefer to have newer full thickness rotors.