Trailer hitch setups Westfalia vs. Bosal vs. others

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Volks:

I have been doing some research and it appears that the "OEM" type hitches with removable towing ball are represented by Westfalia and Bosal. I am looking to install a hitch on Graycie, my '06 A5 Jetta sedan and I am looking for a setup that would be almost completely hidden when not in use, and doesn't reduce ground clearance. I would like to hear the opinoins of people who have one of these two setups on their car, as well as from people who have the Curt/Draw-Tite/Valley/Hidden Hitch type hitches on their cars. It appears to me that the latter type hitches lower the reciever so that it comes out below the bottom of the bumper cover while the former group require the bumper cover to be modified (a hole cut through it) in order to use the hitch. Pluses, minuses, random observations? Who wants to go first?

Dan

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
Dan,
try a search on this forum: a few other threads cover the install of Westfalia and Bosal hitches, as well as the Curt/Draw-Tite/Valley/Hidden Hitch type hitches, so you may not get much feedback on this thread.
My suggestion would be to go for the Westfalia or Bosal hitch if you are ready, willing and able to do the install.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
funoutdoors121:

Thanks for the input! If you have a hitch, which setup do you have on your JSW?

Dan

Last edited:

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
I've had the Hidden Hitch brand hitch installed since the Fall of 2006 and that's with the VW Drivers Gear sport springs which lower the body about 1"inch (RoW spec.) from the raised USA DOT spec./stock ride height. The HH brand hitch is a DIY install say a #5. (1-10# scale) The main use is for a bike rack and occasionally tow a utility 8'x5' flat bed snowmobile style trailer.... A run to the lumber yard/nursery/appliance retailer is now a breeze... The girls say the TDI becomes a “Transformer” when the trailer is attached; I suppose their right….

The HH brand hitch can scrape ground with the right circumstance, usually a tall driveway or so. However our USA MkV Jetta sedan rides with the 1-inch lower RoW ride height spec.. The quality European manufactured trailer hitches (Bosal, etc.,) are tier one in every regard with the exception of value; Quality costs money... If I had to purchase a Jetta hitch over again,, I’d choose the more refined European brand hitch if only for its clean aesthetic, however bring money.

Last edited:

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
1998993c2s:

I agree that the "Euro" style hitches are a pricey lot. However, I have a very steep transition between my driveway and the street that causes occasional bottoming with no hitch on the car. I am really concerned that a hitch setup that puts the receiver below the bumper cover would cause constant scraping or possibly even prohibit me from accessing my driveway altogether. I also like the clean look of the "Euro" setup when the swan neck is removed. Thanks for your opinion too!

Dan

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
I installed a Hidden Hitch on my B5.5 Passat TDI Wagon and then later installed a Bosal on my 2009 JSW TDI. The difference between the two is night and day IMHO. You might catch me ranting on this subject. The Bosal does require a hole in the bumper apron, but I think its worth it. I don't feel comfortable with a hitch bolted to the bumper and a few bits of sheet metal. The OEM hitches are bolted to the frame rails; I bet you could lift the car completely by the OEM hitches. There is no change in clearance that I can tell with the Bosal or Westfalia as far as I can tell. The install is very well documented here by "darrenf" and "karltinsly" It does require a bit more work that seems a little scary at first, but it is very manageable IME. Check out these threads:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=240230&highlight=karltinsly+bosal

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=237428&highlight=darrenf+westfalia

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Early8Q:

In the course of my research I found both those threads, and thanks for posting the links it makes it much easier to find them both again. I am really leaning towards the Westfalia hitch. It seems to be even more hidden, when the swan neck is removed, than the Bosal. Ground clearance is a major consideration for me and your comments on that helped alot! Thanks.

Dan

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
I think the Westfalia might be a little bit nicer, however, it was nearly $200 more than the Bosal when I bought mine.

dandywriter

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon 6M
Bosal

I have a bosal on my 2006 tdi; I tow an 1800 lb trailer. I have no clearance issues - I have yet to bottom out, whereas the draw tite (identical to HH) I had would bottom, even with no one in the back seat. When removed, you can't see the hitch. You do need to cut a bit of plastic on the lower bumper, but as you can see from the pics, it isn't obvious. I'd buy another bosal in an instant!

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
dandywriter:

I'll have to take another look at the pictures of both hitch setups. Thanks for the comments about never having the Bosal bottom out.

Dan

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
I would second the statement that I would go with the bosal again without a second thought. And would also add, if it helps, that the bumper cover is molded with marks for the cutout on the inside. VW made it for the OEM hitches. Check out the install pics.